Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there any difference in the speed and tracking between the PA12 and PA14? I am going to order a Pro Angler but can't decide which one. Does 2 ft difference in length and 2 in difference in width change these performance parameters?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

People have been saying that the PA14 is faster.
I have a PA12 and don't have a problem keeping up with my friends who use a PA14.

Handling in the PA12 is a bit more responsive, I'm able to usually cut it pretty close to the mangrove lines and be able to turn away in time if I start drifting into them.
No such luck for my buddies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I agree with gatorling. Tracking differences are slight. The PA12 has a more sensitive rudder. I fished in my PA12 with my fishing buddy that has a PA14. I didn't have any problems keeping up with him. after fishing 2 days I had become use to the more sensitive rudder of the PA12. (19 miles in two days)

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a difference in the distance from the seat to the pedals in the PA12 vs the PA14. I am 6'4" and the PA14 is very comfortable and would like to try the PA12 for my wife and as a back up for me, if I can fit comfortably.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:34 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I am 6'4" also, I have both PA12 &PA 14. I have no issues with the drive adjustments. I am Mid Range on my PA 14 & One position aft on my PA 12.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As with full displacement hulls, speed is related to length of hull at the waterline. The longer the boat, the greater the speed. But factor in the weight and physical strength of the peddler, whether or not you're running the turbo fins ... I'll bet you'll notice no difference. Turbo fins were standard with my 12.

As for turning the PA12, steer the rudder, peddle hard, and it turns on a dime.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

spinso71 wrote:
Is there a difference in the distance from the seat to the pedals in the PA12 vs the PA14. I am 6'4" and the PA14 is very comfortable and would like to try the PA12 for my wife and as a back up for me, if I can fit comfortably.

This vid gives you a good comparision between PA12 and the 2013 PA14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMAGGC-lNQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 pm 
Hobie Team Member

SandyToes,

I have a PA 14 and PA 12. I am also 6’4”. The adjustments on the Mirage drives are well equipped to handle our height. My setting on the 14 is one position closer than the 12. In both cases they are mid range. Both Kayaks handle 6’4” well. I have been Kayaking with a tall friend (6’9”) who used an outback.

As for the speed Scientifically the 14 will be faster than the 12, but for those of us who know what coffee smells like there is minimal difference between the two. The first trip in my 12 I fished with a buddy in a 14. I had no trouble keeping up with him. Our distance travelled that weekend was over 19 miles (GPS Log)

I think the real question has to do with size and weight of the Kayak. I carry mine in my pickup with a bed extender in my trailer hitch receiver and a Rack Back. I also mothership on to my boat… Life is good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

salmontim wrote:
I think the real question has to do with size and weight of the Kayak. I carry mine in my pickup with a bed extender in my trailer hitch receiver and a Rack Back. I also mothership on to my boat… Life is good.

Very good points, salmontim. I don't worry about keeping up as long as I keep site of others in my party. A few miles offshore doesn't bother me since I can still see the horizon line at 5 miles or so. I have no idea how far we peddled since we trolled one particular area for about 4 hours, but loved riding the waves so far! I'm sure there will come a day one when a wave will nail me good, but that just comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned.

I too use my truck bed and bed extender for day trips. For longer road trips, I use racks on top of my Tacoma, then invert the PA12 to rest on it's gunwales and tie it down "canoe style". I'm still perfecting my top rack loading technique as I'm 61 and do it by myself.

Since you take yours to your "mothership", do you tow it behind, or are 'ya lucky enough to bring it aboard? I've got an offshore 26' CC and was wondering how well my PA12 might tow so I can bring my baby along when we're on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Hobie Team Member

Sandy,
I have been working (improving) my mothership storage. I am completing a aluminum u beam that I mount in my rod holders (mid cocpit). I have a Rampage 30 with inboards which allows me to haul the yaks over the stern using my stern with some closed-cell foam to cushion and bear most of the weight of the yak. my stern transom is about 8-10 inches wide, I let the bow of the yak hang over the stern. the stern of the yak is pulled towards my boats cockpit. (Resting on the cross beam).

Tim