Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be getting a HDS 5 Gen 2 for my PA14. I'm not sure what voltage I need to power that fishfinder. Anyone have this and can give me advice of which battery I can get? I was thinking of getting a golf cart battery but not sure what voltage to get. Also are the batteries chargeable? Not sure, totally lost on this...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You need 12-volts DC.

I power my Lowrance fishfinder/GPS with a battery I bought on eBay (Do a search for "Good quality New DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery Pack")

It is a rechargable and it came with a charger. I installed it in a Plano waterproof case #3440. (tight fit but works great and cheap $$$) Inside the box I have the battery, the downscan transducer adapter Lowrance provided with my machine, 3-amp in-line fuse, and all the connectors to run the battery as well as charge it.

I drilled a small hole in the waterproof case and soldered a waterproof connector (also from eBay, search for "5PCS LED Light Strips 2 Pin Waterproof Connector Cable DT80") through the case so I could connect it to my fishfinder and keep it totally waterproof. I sealed the small hole with goop. I soldered the other half of the connector to the power leads of the fishfinder. I charge the battery in the house and easily reinstall it in the kayak when I am going to use it. I keep the battery in the front section of the boat. There is a stem to install a sail just aft of the front storage bin. I zip tied the boat side connector to that post inside the hull of the boat then after removing the storage bin I just plug in the battery and go. I secured a small bungee to the battery case to secure that also to the same stem to keep it from moving around inside the hull. It is secured, watertight, is small and weighs very little, provides plenty of power, and convenient.

The entire battery plus the case and connectors weigh 1 pound 1.4 ounces. I have used the battery pack to run my fishfinder/GPS over two days of fishing (about 7 hours each day) and still had power left before charging it again.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Lunker1 Thank you for all that information! I appreciate it a lot. I sorta got the idea on how to make it...Just really not sure about the soldering part though..but it should be easy as you say it is...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would agree with lunker1. I to just received a fishfinder/gps and purchased a 12v DC with charger. The charger will not keep charging if I leave it pluged in. The charger will stop once it is charged nice feature. It works good.

There are several ways of hooking more then one electronic. I just kind of just figured out what worked for me.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does that battery really last that long? @Lunker1 you think u can show me a pic of it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I got the battery I did not know I had to have the switch turned on that is located on the side of the battery when charging it so I thought it was charging when it was not. I had it charging (I thought) for over 24 hours with the red light on the charger on but the green light never came on. I figured I was doing it correctly so I used the battery all that day fishing and did the same thing to charge it again (I thought) that night. I used it all the next day and the fishfinder/GPS ran perfectly both days. It was still working well at the end of the second day and I could have used it longer. That night when trying to charge it again I figured out that I needed the swith on the side of the battery to be on and after a few short hours the green light also came on and this time I actually charged the battery. To answer your question "does it really last that long" I have to say YES! What really happened is that I started using it with the charge the battery was shipped with, used it for two days (at least six hours each day), and it was still going strong after the two days of use. I can only guess that if I charged it when I got it I would have been able to use it much longer before it had to be charged. I have Lowrance-4 DSI fishfinder/chartplotter. I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Lunker1 your effin awesome and helpfull...thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HiLife44

Glad you found it useful. You forced me to learn how to post a picture here. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Let me know how yours works out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Lunker I was wondering what and where you got that cable from?
You have the battery...then its connected to that cable in the middle with red wires and a black tube looking thing...then its connected to that white cable through the orange connector...I'm just stump of what cable that is in the middle? I guess its the female end where the batter connects to and right before the orange colored connector...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great question let me try to explain better. Let’s start at the battery. The battery comes with two leads, one female and one male. I did not want to have the male end short out when energized so I connected to that fitting. Next you see a female adapter (so I could remove the battery without cutting wires). Next is an in-line blade type fuse holder (red wires) with a 3-amp mini-fuse (Radio Shack). That is the size fuse Lowrance recommends. The wires to the in-line fuse holder are very thick for an automotive application. I did not want them that thick but could not find one with thinner wires like that in the rest of the system that is provided by Lowrance. To my surprise the thicker wires work great and do not seem to be an issue. Next you see the black cylinder shaped item. That is provided by Lowrance with my unit and has something to do with the DSI capability. If you do not have DSI then you do not have that item. Next I added the pink connectors to the white wire. I drilled a small hole in the waterproof case, slid in the white wire, then soldered in the pink connectors. I sealed that small hole with goop to maintain the waterproof features of the case. The white wires have O-rings and are waterproof when connected. You cannot see this in the picture because it is inside the kayak but at the end of the wires leading to the fish finder is the male portion of the white wire connector. I hope this helps. Ask for more if I missed something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lunker1, what model FF you powering, 2 days is a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My unit is a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx