Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA's water pumps
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been reading about water intake on the PA's,is there anyone installing pumps in thier PA's. if so, do you have how to pic's or video? How do you connect fishfinder and other electronics to your 12v battery.

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

Post subject: Re: PA's water pumps
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see no one has replied. I am contemplating the same thing. It's really only an issue if you frequently go through the surf zone. To this point, I've always carried a large sponge and simply sponged out any water that I take going through the surf. Presently, I'm working on the electronics for my PA. I have the 12v in the rear hatch in a modified "bucket" that fits that hatch. I'm waiting on a charger controller at which time I will be rigging a solar panel to keep the battery charged. I am presently only using it for a bottom finder. I am still on the fence about installing an automatic bilge pump. Most that I have seen do this send their discharge to the rear deck, which drains via the scupper holes. Frankly, I think it's a bit overkill, as I've never taken that much water in, even when I had cracks on the deck. That being said, most of the new models of PA's come with enough flotation installed that even if they were to become completely swamped in the inner hull, they would still remain bouyant. At least, that's my understanding, though I've never approached that level. Having said that, I have had a gallon or two in the hull and the performance was diminished considerably. Perhaps you might consider a manual bilge pump, which is available from most any kayak source. They are typically used to bilge sit in kayaks, and are supposed to be quite effective. Just a few ideas. I wish I had some pictures posted and will try to do that once I get the rest of the parts in for my electronics set up. In the meantime, here is a facebook page of a fellow who has recently mounted his battery in the manner I describe. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/EverythingKayak?fref=ts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks turtle2.

I have found a couple youtube videos, but mainly the hard core yakkers in the raging rivers. It gave me some good ideas. Your information is very helpful I will hold off on the install for now. I do have a small 12v pump and discahrge. What I noticed on the youtube was the kayaker did two scenarios one with the hand pump and one with electric pump. The hand pump took away his ability to control the kayak. whlie the electric only took a split second for him to activate the switch and maintain controll of his kayak.
I will be launching about 50% through surf when the weather is not to bad. If I do install a pump I will post pics/video to share. I do have all the safety in mind I purchased a new high back PFD,VHF 2-way radio,beacon light, mast light and red flag, whistle, helmet for the surf crossing, and drysuit (whites) I ordered the 14' yesterday and can't wait to see it. it is due this Tuesday

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Those manual pumps are pretty good if the bilge water is deep enough (used one on my boat when the macerater/pump, quit working in the fish box), otherwise get a big sponge. I'm carrying both, but so far have only had a small amount of water to wipe out.

Has anyone reported swamping a PA yet?

I don't use that big white insert in the bow hatch, but looks like if you do, it would catch most of what leaked in through the bow and it could be dumped.

Good choice on your personal safety equipment too, especially the helmet, should you flip. From my whitewater canoeing days, most of the hits to my head came from my own gear or boat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks SandyToes. You are the second comment on the sponge. I think I will start with that. Some of the safety equipment is required by coast gaurd and the state of Oregon when off shore. I do plan on using it though. I worked on the pacific for 4 years and I to learned that it is was the gear or what they call the "BITE" that injured crewmen or killed them. loose gear or rope were the danger.

Thanks again :D

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FWIW, I did notice that the manual for the PA recommends removing the tub in the front bow compartment in order to make a better seal. I've never done it, but I don't go out on heavy days either. I've also heard some people adding additional seals for leaving the tub in. Look up some of Mythman's post. He's goes through the surf quite a bit and has some good advice on technique and rigging.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks turtle2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry a shorter version of this...
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/strea ... leShopping

I have yet to use it in my hull because of swampping, but it's great for squirting your fellow unsuspecting yakkers :lol:

I looked at the 12v powered bilge pumps, but when they're not used much, the seals dry up and they don't work properly (which would probably happen when I needed it most). I saw the hand operated ones but I already owned this one, so decided to stick with it...

I want to say I bought it for something like 6 bucks about 5 years ago. We use it every summer and it's been working great!

God Bless,
Doc S

Last edited by Doc S on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I remember seeing a detailed post about an automatic bilge pump installed on a PA14. I can't find it now. Not even sure if I saw on this forum but it was a beautifully engineered install under the rear hatch. I'll try to find it again and link to it if I can. Anyone else remember this post?

<EDIT> Here is a similar set up on a Revo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJqbMGxPV8&feature=related
Still looking for the PA post.

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I've visited but I believe copterchief is talking about a post started Oct. 28th 2009. "Pro Angler Hatch Leak" by mojofunk. Halibut Hunter installed a bilge pump and helped walk me through the process. If I knew how to provide the link, I'd surely do so. Apologies.

I never had to use the bilge pump but it sure is nice knowing it's there!

Be well,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the post GR8 Laker speaks of. It's a long discussion but this link will take you to the part where the bilge pump install is described: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=16360&hilit=pro+angler+hatch+leak&start=30

_____
_<>-+ copterchief