Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need some advice from the experienced sailors. I live in NW Oregon along the Columbia River. I do not live in the gorge where all the sailboarding is, I'm about 30 miles to the northwest of Portland. The wind and chop are far less here. I have been preparing to purchase a Hobie for a some time. My decision has come down to 2 choices for now. The Outback or the PA12.
Most of the guys in the area have gone with the Outback in the area. I have not seen anybody using a sail. I will sail as much as I will fish. The PA12 seems to have a dryer ride than the Outback. Is the stability close to the same with these boats? Being new to Hobie's and sailing, does anybody see an advantage in either of these choices?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not been sailing on a PA, but absolutly love my Outback. The deciding factor for me was transportation. Although I do trailer it, the option to put on my roof/etc is there with the Outback. I enjoy sailing on the Outback just as much as fishing. 5-10mph wind is about the max. Anything above that without a dagger board is pushing it. I rigged up a DIY furling system that works flawlwssly and makes all of the difference (The PVC version with harken blocks on either side utilizing the exsisting screw holes on the 2011 OB).

They are completely different vessels in my opinion. PA being more for calm waters/lakes.

With all of the sailing I do (over fishing), I am actually thinking of an Adventure within the very near future.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response. I'm prepared to trailer and haul in the back of my shortbed. I'm only 5 minutes from the water. The coast is about 45 minutes away. The PA12 looks more comfortable and the stability appears to be the same. I want to have a boat that sails well. I think that I'm looking for justification for the $1k price jump. I think both of these will fill my fishing needs well. Sailing them is where info gets a bit thin.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sandsquirt.

I don't wish to upset the equilibrium of your decision-making but you should be aware that the Adventure is the best sailer of the kayaks by a country mile and if you are thinking of spending a lot of time sailing then you might want to consider it as an option.

The reasons are the daggerboard and the hull - the daggerboard gives it far better upwind potential than the other boats and the sleeker hull just makes it a better sailer by dint of being that bit faster.

It shoud be said that it is unlikely that you would want to stand up in an A (I think fly fishers do it standing up ? - in kayaks anyway).

And that, knowing the Columbia (I windsurfed there many years ago) it may be that you plan to sail upwind, like I did then, by just sitting in the current... in which case the upwind performance may not be an important consideration.

But these factors aside the inescapable fact is that the Adventure sails best and I for one would not wish to go back to sailing an Outback let alone a PA.

Hope this does help :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your insight. Points well taken. The ability to stand and move about is the reason the the PA is still in the running. The Revo would also be a better choice for speed and sailing too. Stability is a huge factor for me.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Hobie Team Member

Sandsquirt,

I think you have a hard decision ahead of you. I have owned an outback, PA 14 and PA 12.

Last August I picked up a sail kit, but haven’t used it yet. You brought up a very important point in your first post. “The PA12 seems to have a dryer ride than the Outback” This is a very true statement. I am a big guy (6’4” /255) The added Freeboard is significant. The PA 12 is rated at 500 lbs. vice 400 lbs. for the outback. When I am in the outback the water level is about a half inch in the well around the Marage Drive well. Both PA’s well remains dry. Additionally the larger freeboard is a great advantage.

The PA12 and the Outback’s maneuverability are about the same. Out of the water weight becomes an issue. Outback rigged is about 75 lbs. The PA 12 weighs in about 98 lbs.

I like the “Margin of Safety” of the PA.

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdhVDbQow8Q&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Here's a bad video of me sailing my PA14 (the 1st time)

Very stable sailing craft!
The turbo fins act as a dagger board.
I have reached about 7mph according to my GPS on a few trips.
I love to troll using sailing power. With the stability, it's easy to fish/sail in the PA.

I have a Revo and sail it too. It's faster than the PA, but not as stable. Much easier to sail and fish in the PA, but I can do this out of the Revo as well...

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for posting a video... I can't wait til next sprioI
ng to try out my new sail...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My impressions:

I went all out and got a sail for my PA12, and so far used it once. It was nice to sit back and let the breeze do the work. Using the sail as a means to take you miles to a spot beats peddling. I'm out in the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm not real sure having the sail in the way while fighting a good fish is the best option. Unless you can roller- furl it efficiently, you'll have the sail flapping when reeling in your catch. I've seen YouTube videos of home made roller-furler and want to rig one up.

I've owned and sailed an 18 ft Buccanneer and 23 ft sloop, and the PA can be sailed, .. carefully. It probably is not the best idea to cleat off the main sheet control line, but hold onto it to avoid heeling suddenly. The PA loves to go into irons and stay there, so applying power to the peddles a crucial times is handy.

As for being dry? I always expect to get wet in a boat that size. Just seems to come with the territory. BTW, my dealer talked me out of the amas accessory.

I was in my center console and passed a pair of Adventure Islands. They looked to be having a blast and frankly I was jealous!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks Sandy,

Here in New England we Primarily troll for Striped Bass along the shoreline, amongst the rocks. I think I will get the most use out of the sail going to and from the fishing areas.

Thanks again

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At this time, I have a PA14 and a Revolution. I have sails for both and have used both to fish from while sailing (trolling).

I don't use a cleat, just hold the mainsheet (Rope) while holding the rod. I have also placed the rod in a rod holder to troll while sailing...

I thought about making one of those PVC furlers, but haven't gotten around to it...

I have owned an Adventurer and an Adventure Island before.
Both were great yaks, but the Adventure Island didn't get fished from too much. It was too much fun zooming aross the lakes, or the gulf... For me, it was difficult to launch and return in the surf without risking damage. Since I didn't have another one and folks I knew with one were scarece, I opted to sell it.

The Adventurer was a great yak, but my portly butt was more comfortable in the Revo. I guess there is a difference in speed in the Adventurer, but it wasn't as great as I initially thought it would be, so I sold that one too...

If you're not sailing a PA, Ama's would probably be a good thing. I've seen some really nice ones for about $300-$400. If the PA, I never felt like I needed them....

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Doc
Thanks for the feedback
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, I was also thinking that if you're looking at standing and moving around, you've answered your own question. It's not easily done in an outback without amas.

Additionally, You may want to consider moving to the slightly longer PA.
It's also a little wider and from what I undertstand, a bit more efficient.

Standing in the PA is easy with practice, but I don't think it can be done while sailing (I've never tried).

God Bless,
Doc S