Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Trifoiler
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking to purchase a Trifoiler from Europe, but also US might be interesting.
Living in Norway.

Post subject: Re: Hobie Trifoiler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Peter,
I sent you an email. there is a boat for sale in Norway. contact me directly if you didn't get it. It is number 21.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, and thank`s for your answer and how many trifoilers were made ?
I have read that production stopped because laws problems i US, but for what reason ?
I have tried to be in contact with the owner in Norway, and I will try again later today, and what pricerange is normal for a trifoiler number 21 and in good condition ?

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There were 8 prototypes counting Long Shot 1 and 2. TriFoiler Inc built 33 production boats. Then we merged with Hobie Cat in mid 1995. We focused on the same style of foiler with improvements over the years until we reached a hull number of 190.
Production stopped because the boat was not selling. The dealers that supported Hobie Cat for years, flooded their territories, then stopped buying them. The boat was ahead of it's time as far as hydrofoil crafts go. They are not very practical boats, they go really fast or you wish you were on a H16. The boat really likes sandy beaches for launching and small wind chop wave conditions. A combination of factors reduced the popularity of this very unique boat. It certainly was not because of legal problems. I wouldn't be supporting it if that was the case.
Price ranges from $4 to 15,000 US dollars. #21, is in the low range. You should expect to replace any original bungee, wire, or rope if the owner has not already done so.
Dan Ketterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan, and thank`s for fast reply.

I have been in contact with Preben Rasmussen in Norway, and I will pick up the TriFoiler during the winter.
He has to change some spareparts before sale.
This TriFoiler is nr 21 as you mentioned, and what cind of modifications have been made from this one to the latest models ?
Are there difference in stability and speed and handling ?
And price fpr two new sals and rope ?
You also mentioned that the bungee should be replaced, I have searched Wikipedia for a translate, but can you help me, what is a bungee on the TriFoiler ?

Best regards

Peter Ulvestad

ve been made from model 21 to the latest models

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Peter,
There has been some modifications to TriFoilers since #21. Most note worthy are 2 changes, first, mast rotator bars for the mast have a hinge point to make assembly faster and reduce holes in the ama IF the mast falls down. At the same time, we included a 2:1 purchase on the control line. Second, the sensor retraction line got a 2:1 purchase so it is easier to pull up. Many improvement to rigging ease and safety were made. For a good explanation, read this page on the wiki site.
http://www.trifoiler.info/media/index.p ... at_Current

All the boats are the same for stability and speed.
We don't make the sails anymore, you will have to have a sail loft custom build a pair.
I have been rebuilding a boat #62, I have replaced almost all the lines, wires and bungee. Bungee is also known as shock cord. A rubber rope that pulls together when stretched.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Dan, TriFoiler Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan

Thank`s for good info, and I understand that there are a lot of things that should be controled and replaced on an old 21.
The Trifoiler 62 that you have rebuilded, is it for sale and if, what price ?
Do you know other boats for sale in modified condition as I understand that older boats can give me many problems .

Best regards

Peter Ulvestad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

#62 was just bought and brought to me, for a look over, I noticed many problems, it needed a new rudder, rebuild bow anchor bolt, and some foil work. There are many little details requiring attention. It sold for $7,000 with a galvanized trailer. The sails are badly delaminated, this won't be a problem with #21, those sails were made before Hobie Cat was involved. The new owner has paid more to get it sea worthy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan
I will pick up the Trifoiler in two weeks from Preben Rasmussen in Norway, and in your last mail you mentioned that the bungee should be replaiced. I understand that the bungee is a kind of rubber part, but where on the Trifoiler is it conectet ?

Best regards

Peter Ulvestad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Peter,
There are many places on the boat and trailer that use a bungee or shock cord. The size and length differ for each application. Most of the lines for controlling the sails, sensors, foils, masts and mainsheet will have to be inspected. If they have not been changed recently, you will need to use the illustrated parts guide on the wiki site for the factory cut length. I can help you better after you have inspected and decided what to replace. I like to see pictures. So rig the boat and find out what works and or missing.