Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish a lot in Texas coastal marsh areas and offshore on my AI. I'm looking at getting another kayak to fish in the marsh with. I love my mirage drive, but would love to have kayak with a Mirage Drive that I could stand up in like the Cuda or Ride (not a aircraft carrier like a PA). My dealer showed the new hatch on the 2013 Outback that would give me a better standing platform. He also said that some had requested that Hobie redesign or make a stand up kayak with a MD.
I suppose it my be possible already on the 2013 Outback with the larger hatch. I'm going to demo an Outback soon for this purpose.
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth for this type of a design. I hope to see something along this line in 2014.
Keep up to good work.
THx

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try the new PA 12. Perfect size for intercoastal fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Try the new PA 12. Perfect size for intercoastal fishing.

Just a smaller aircraft carrier

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bring an RC airplane and multi-task.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the PA12 would have been better designed as a sort of Coosa with a Mirage Drive. Exactly what it sounds like you're looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The only problem with the PA 12 is the weight, that's what kills it for so many people, and the price of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cnnashman wrote:
The only problem with the PA 12 is the weight, that's what kills it for so many people, and the price of course.

Would an outrigger on the Outback help you for stability?

Or is it the flat standing space that you really need.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geordie wrote:
cnnashman wrote:

I'm not the one inquiring about this issue. The original poster is the one asking about stability and standing up. I just commented about the PA 12.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Geordie wrote:
cnnashman wrote:

I think the Outback's stability is ok. It could be made better for standing with a pontoon type hull.
A larger flat area to stand on would be nice also and a higher seat.
Maybe they will ask for my input during the design phase. Haha.

I know that my dealer has requested this same type of yak from Hobie. It seems he has had many guys looking for this also. I'm just trying to help push Hobie over the edge.
I don't really have anything against the PA's. I actually liked the one I used as a demo. But there's a lot of places you can't use the Mirage Drive due to shallow water and low tides so you have to paddle. To me a narrower yak would be easier to paddle than a PA. I just want something narrower and lighter. Like I said, I think a yak simular to the Cuda or the Ride with a Mirage Drive would be awesome. I think if Hobie would produce something like this they would really have something. But all we can do is ask and hope. We'll wait and see
In the meantime I'm thinking about finding a used Ride and trying to fit a Mirage drive in it. Wish me luck.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Might as well add this in too...

If you could make the Vantage fit, but just with smaller armrests, that would be an improvement over the flat cushion currently in the Outback. Raised up slightly to avoid a wet bum.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Perhaps the boat that meets these requirements is hiding right in front of us.

The current model Oasis has excellent stability, capacity, is lighter than the PA 12 and faster cruiser than either the Outback or PA's. It has tons of room and unmatched versatility. Don't discount it because it's sold as a tandem. It is an excellent solo craft from either seat (properly ballasted), pedaling...

is a fair paddler...

and can really haul as a tandem...

This boat will do it all, and best of all (for those who care), seats are above the water line! :wink:

BTW, Mirage Drives will run down to about 8" to 10" of water depth (even with Turbos) using a "fluttering" technique. Here's a Revo 11 roiling the silty bottom in about 8" depth with Turbos.

8)

Post subject: Re: To Ripit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would like to see Hobie buy out Freedom Hawk and make a Hobie Pathfinder and Freedom Hawk 12 with their quality and be Mirage capable with the PA‘s raised and adjustable seat.

My Pathfinder with its outriggers/pontoons fully extended is as stable as my 14.5’ Jon boat re standing, casting fly rods or spinning rods. With FH's Elite raised seat, I stay dry, comfortable and have good vision of what's ahead, and around me without standing.

Also, I can fit the Pathfinder in the bed of my Ridgeline and a pontoon/stabilizer on each side with a standup and adjustable paddle on the side between the yak and stabilizers. This enables me to back down a boat ramp to the water, put the yak in the water, attach the stabilizers and shove off.

A mirage unit would eliminate the need for heavy batteries and an electric trolling motor.

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_pathfinder.php

However, Hobie buying Freedom Hawk and making FH's yaks Mirage capable is as likely as world peace.

Roadrunner has an excellent as usual reply re the Oasis. Our Oasis with the Hobie Ama set is very stable. However, at age 74, I need something to help me stand, lean against to cast my rods and help me get back to my seat.

The link below will take you to a site which sells Kayak leaning posts. One of these and a set of Hobie Amas should be reliable or one of these with the extra pontoons.

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/ka ... -post.html

ripit wrote:
I fish a lot in Texas coastal marsh areas and offshore on my AI. I'm looking at getting another kayak to fish in the marsh with. I love my mirage drive, but would love to have kayak with a Mirage Drive that I could stand up in like the Cuda or Ride (not a aircraft carrier like a PA). My dealer showed the new hatch on the 2013 Outback that would give me a better standing platform. He also said that some had requested that Hobie redesign or make a stand up kayak with a MD.
I suppose it my be possible already on the 2013 Outback with the larger hatch. I'm going to demo an Outback soon for this purpose.
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth for this type of a design. I hope to see something along this line in 2014.
Keep up to good work.
THx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input guys.
Roadrunner I've actually been looking into a Outback. Believe it or not I ran into a friend last week that has a '10 Outback for sale. He "says" he can stand up a fish in it. I'm going to check it out soon. The Outback I think would be the better way to go for me since it weighs 15 lbs. less than the Oasis. I don't really need the two person yak since I already own a Adventure Island and a Tarpon 160 which I can use both as a 2nd or 3rd yak for friends.
THanks for all your help again, still looking for the perfect Kayak.

Keep up the great work Hobie

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The ability to stand up in any kayak depends largely upon your personal balance. You can stand up on a waterborne log, provided your balance is good enough.

A buddy of mine has a Coosa (so do I) and both times he stood up to fish, he went into the drink. On the other hand, I can stand up in it just fine, but I can also stand in a Hobie Revolution with no trouble. Although, I rarely bother.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ripit wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.
Roadrunner I've actually been looking into a Outback. Believe it or not I ran into a friend last week that has a '10 Outback for sale. He "says" he can stand up a fish in it. I'm going to check it out soon. The Outback I think would be the better way to go for me since it weighs 15 lbs. less than the Oasis. I don't really need the two person yak since I already own a Adventure Island and a Tarpon 160 which I can use both as a 2nd or 3rd yak for friends.
THanks for all your help again, still looking for the perfect Kayak.

Keep up the great work Hobie

Hello,
Try checking out the REVO 11 with the standnfish. Very stable ,disassembles in minutes. Added the steering rudder handle upgrade and with the standing platform over seat I can maneuver with the evolve anywhere I want.Heading to Rockport for the winter to wear my Hobie out.
Pete