Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An interesting day!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My aims were fairly simple - to test out the new one-way valves I had fitted to the rear seat well of my TI. I had removed the seat, so I could spot water levels.

The tide was slightly favourable (<2 knots), while the wind was gusting to 25+ knots, mostly on my starboard quarter.

The wind was strong enough to furl the sail to half size, but I was still getting sustained bursts of 8.5 knots, with everything in front of the mast sitting under the bow wave.

The one-way valves worked perfectly with zero water appearing in the rear seat well.

Heading around the island to turn south, life became easier due to the island acting partially as a wind-break, but speed was still impressive.

As there was no way I would be able to swing south-east around the island and go to windward, I pulled in to a small village (see arrow), and out of curiosity, called the local Marine Rescue tower. They told me that they had recorded gusts of 49 knots!!! So I resigned myself to sleeping in the park at the water's edge until the winds dropped (forecast for around noon the next day). One of the locals spotted me, and invited me in for coffee, and a few hours later, the wind dropped enough to be tantalisingly mild enough for continuation of the trip, so I headed off again in the dark after rigging my masthead light.

Immediately, it began to rain (the first rain for more than a month here) but my waders & cycling wind jacket did a reasonable job of keeping me warm.

My Lowrance Elite 4 chartplotter now earned its keep, as its display, plus depth readings, enabled me to negotiate the many shoals, despite the clouds having shut down any possibility of moonlight.

Once heading north, there were enough lit marker poles to get me in the general direction, and the wind angle now meant that I was doing up to and over 5 knots to windward in the dark.

Luckily the many oyster leases here all have boundary fences, but it was still difficult judging how close I could go when tacking was needed, and I was also aware that not all marker poles were lit (crazy).

Eventually I got back to the boat ramp at about 11pm, very pleased to be able to take a break from straining to see potential obstacles in the darkness.

Post subject: Re: An interesting day!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes it sure did sound like an interesting day ! Coming back at night in strong winds ... very challenging.

The good news is now that you've successfully tested your seat valves, you can develop a marketing plan directed at everyone here and then make your fortune as I'm sure everyone with an AI or TI will order a set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had intended to try and make up a set of ball check type valves, and then for whatever reason decided to do a quick check on the internet for any sort of commercially made scupper valves. Turns out, they exist:

http://store.oceankayak.com/products/48 ... per_Valves

I've ordered a few and will report back on how well they fit the Hobie boats or what might be done to adapt them if they don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very exciting, glad you made it home safe and the valves worked. Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice report Tony. Navigating through oysters makes me nervous in the day time let alone at night.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geez, now thats fairly ballsy. Glad it all worked out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice work indeed, we hope to check out the lake there next year or the year after depending on vacation time availability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mav wrote:
Nice work indeed, we hope to check out the lake there next year or the year after depending on vacation time availability.

Looking forward to catching up, send a PM when heading my way!