Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inspection Port
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Currently in the midst or restoring a '79 H16. One hull is great, while the other has substantial delam. As we are just looking to head to the local lake and maybe an occasional afternoon at Tahoe, I'm not too worried. Rec only - no racing. Now, I am considering putting in inspection ports. Any thoughts, pro or con are appreciated. Additionally, where is the best spot to put them yet retain structural integrity. As most hull failures will take place forward of the front pylon, I am a bit hesitant to go there. Thanks for the insight and wisdom!

Post subject: Re: Inspection Port
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where is the delam? How big of an area?
What are you hoping to do by adding ports?
I would stick with an injection fix. Plenty of info on the forums on how to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dexter - Many years ago our Hobie dealer at the time [he's also an engineer] suggested putting in inspection ports on both hulls in order to take care of the soft spot I had on one of my hulls forward of the front pylon. That solved the problem and we enjoyed having the extra storage for small items. About 10 years ago I had a soft area forward of one of the inspection ports. I did the Delamination Fix that hobiesrock described and haven't had any problems since. I used a Dremel Tool instead of a hand drill. It's smaller and lighter and I had a better feel as I was drilling through glass and foam and then hitting the bottom glass. I injected resin. I'm not mechanically inclined, but this was an easy job. It's held up well. I check my boat often; we've traveled long distances with the boat to vacation with it once a year; we sail often in the bay and local lakes, and sail in the ocean every chance we get.
Our inspection ports have a heavy duty plastic ring with a large bag (for storage), and a heavy duty plastic cap. It's very sturdy. When I remove the bag and screw-on cap the hulls dry out very quick and thoroughly. I've never regretted having the inspection ports installed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock- in light of the delam, i am repairing by injecting epoxy into the foam core as instructed by the thousands of forum entries. going well so far. interesting that one hull is virtually perfect and the other is quite the opposite. my rational for the inspection port is in part for some extra storage, but mostly for better ventilation when off the lake. guessing that keeping things as dry as possible will keep the hulls in better shape going forward.