Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA14 Trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
I finally ordered my PA14 and i am anxiously awaiting delivery. Currently i drive a suburban, and the thought of lugging that beast on to the roof makes me cringe a little. So, I've been looking for trailers to carry the kayak to and from fishing spots. I do a few relatively long trips a year with the family, dogs, and kayak. Because of this, i need to carry as much stuff outside of the vehicle as possible and the trailer must be good on the highway. I've looked at all the trailers from trailex, malone, yakima, etc. they all look good, but they have no space for anything other than the kayak. Does anyone have any ideas on a trailer that can carry stuff above and beyond the kayak and its accoutrements? Sorry for the long rant...

Post subject: Re: PA14 Trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you do a search on here you'll find some really innovative jet ski trailer conversions. I use a jet ski trailer for mine and it tracks well. You could also build a storage area over the kayak, it can certainly hold the weight. Only negative I found is backing up, hard to see and reacts to minor turns of the wheel more than a boat trailer. MHO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get a PWC tandem trailer and you'll have room for two PA's or one PA and a ton of other gear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went on a recent camping trip and found that I could carry all my gear inside or on top of the PA. The back of my vehicle was empty :!: Why build storage boxes/etc when it's already there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As Tom said look at Jet Ski Trailers ......... you can find a bunch of used 1's. You can adapt a dual jetski trailer to carry all the stuff you want. Mine is set up for 2 PA's but I couls very easily remove the PVC tubes and replace them with a 10 ft box or several boxes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The civilian post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailers work great, they already have stake pockets in the bed so you can make racks to carry your PA and there is a 4'x6' bed to carry all your gear. These trailers are just about bullet proof, very rugged. Not easy to find one in decent shape though.
I recently removed the 6 Yakima Mako Shark saddles and installed 4" black ABS drain pipe instead. The saddles made dents in the hull. The pipes better support the hull.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up a boat trailor kit from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for about $350. After a few mods to customize for the PA. About a half day to assemble and wire. Good instructions and nice little trailor for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used a 5 x 10 utility trailer with PVC added. I just take out 4 eye bolts and remove the "adapter" then it is back to a utility trailer. I can carry the paddles, and all sort of gear on the bottom of the trailer.

I carry a 2011 Pro Angler and a 2001 Hobie Tandem

I just bought a lighter Trailex single trailer with cradles; but no storage!!

Last edited by PI Lvr83 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i found an old--but decent condition, boat trailer on craigslist. it was for maybe a 16 or 17 foot boat. galvanized. i pulled off the old bunks, saved the hard ware, but bought new lumber and carpet for my own bunks. i installed them sideways to the normal boat trailer config. i was able to use the old hardware to install. a can of 'cold galvanizing' spray paint from the house depot store, and the trailer looks like a new'ish custom made thing. we can haul both the PA12 and PA14 with ease. and since the trailer is an actual boat trailer, its is heavy-duty enough for all the tournament miles we travel.
total cost was under $200.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for the great ideas. I've started looking for a jet ski trailer and once i get it i will post pictures of the mods. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

this is what I use now that I sold my utility trailer configuration.
A Trailex SUT-200-AI with PA cradles. A lot lighter but without the storage.

Please excuse the mess as I was cleaning up my back yard!! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone tried the Armor Rex trailers? The price seems pretty good, though i imagine that it is probably painted steel and would deteriorate rapidly if used in salt water.

http://www.deiequipment.com/armor-rex-single-3-seater-pwc-and-boat-trailer-white.html#desc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My only complaint with any of these type non-sprung or oversprung (for kayaks) trailers is the beating they deliver to the boat.

I have two PWC trailers by Triton. I removed all but one spring from the stack to soften the ride as much as possible. I have two Trailex trailers, one was non-sprung and I installed a torsion axle under that one (still a tad stiff at a rating of 300 to 500lbs) and the other was their model 350S which is rated for up to 350 pounds. It actually flexes under the weight of a TI and takes most of the road shock off the boat.

Plenty of good trailers out there that will do the job, but almost none were designed specifically with kayaks in mind.