Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surf Launching a PA12
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been looking at the new PA12 and will likely be purchasing one shortly. I live in So Cal and will be surf launching most of the time.

Can the PA12 be easily surf launched? I am physically fit, surf a lot and know the water where I will fish quite well.

I guess that launching means fins out, paddle until outside and then drop in fins. Repeat process for return to beach. When surf launching other kayaks I have had no real issues short of turning sideways coming in (typically on the inside).

I would only be launching on small days. Does the PA handle differently than a typical paddle (Malibu, etc...) kayak in the surfline? What has been your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Paddled a Malibu X-Factor for years in the Texas Gulf Coast and always launched through the surf. Our surf is different than the Pacific, as we get short choppy waves sets of 3-4 seconds and have three distinct guts and bars.

I never had a minutes problem with the X-Factor.

Got my PA -14 a couple of years ago and immediately found that is does not ride up and over surf waves (like my X-Factor) it plows through them. Creates a lot of water in the cockpit, however with the mirage drive open and the scuppers under the seat open too, it drains quickly enough.

I paddle out past the surf and then put my mirage drive in. Of course the PA paddles like a beast. But once past the surf, it handles extremely well and is so comfortable that it is worth getting wet.

The surprising thing to me is how ineffective it is upon re-entry. To be so wide and stable it will flip in the smallest of surf waves on re-entry attempts. I got so tired of flipping that I now come in backwards with the bow facing all the incoming waves. Takes a while longer, that way............but I am not cleaning reels after every trip.

Again, performance out past the surf, causes me to put up with the PA's surf inadequacies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information. I think I will rent one for the day and go experiment in the surf. Will post the results.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had mine since July and have multiple surf launches, I get in deep enough to use the drive and go like a mad man if the surf is breaking, keep the nose in the surf and be prepared to get wet. I also try and time it when the wave are the lowest. I have been told that when recovering in rough surf to jump off and hang on to the back handle, that will keep you from capsizing, have not had to do it yet though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are alot of videos of the pro anglers on youtube in surf conditions. guys with different styles. I have noticed the return in, is the toughest. I believe that nose weight has a lot to do with the handling. Some guys if you watch have it down well though. One guys goes out far enough to install the drive and also hand paddels out through the waves. He says the mirage drive and the paddling together powers through the waves. Make sure you have a leash though for your mirage. I think getting wet is part of the ride :D

I live on the oregon coast and the surf is rough a lot. I have a new PA14 and will be testing this summer. I think a lot like with everything it takes practice.

I also will consider the backwards style I have heard about this. I was on a lake for the first time last week in the PA 14 it was blowing 40-60 gusts and the PA handled great :!: The chop was 1' -2 ' peddeling in to the wind I was able to maintian a 1.5 mph (knot) when I turned and headed back with the wind behind me I reached 5mph (GPS Speed) and peddeling fast I noticed with the chop it did fish tail me once to the point of turning completely side ways.
I had a blast though :!: :lol: I will report on the surf try-outs this summer.
good luck and have fun :!:

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the big square rear-end, the wind and/or surf is going to push it around. The backward entry seems to be an excellent way to re-enter.

Going to put something in your thinking cap.........

Did you know that if you insert the Mirage Drive into the drive well backwards that you are able to pedal/move backwards???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good Idea :idea: on the mirage drive backwards. Reverse steering

Thanks