Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have Trailex trailer that i believe to be a TX-418. I'm curious if this model is suitable for double stacking two H16s? I see that they have a kit for stacking Nacra 6.0s. Does this kit work for H16s?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Probably - contact Trailex to be sure.

The sticker on the side of the frame will have the rated capacity. That needs to be ~ 1000 lbs to handle both boats and associated gear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok ill look and see if i can find the sticker with its capacity on it. The trailer came from a parts Hobie 18 i bought. I have already emailed trailx. I posted here in hopes that i would get a faster answer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a TX-418 trailex. It is only rated to 500LBS.

I think one of the main issues (possibly the only issue) is the leaf springs. They are extremely soft and would bottom out with two boats. The axle is rated to 2000LBS and the frame has the full length tongue, so I suspect it is strong enough otherwise. It would be interesting to hear what Trailex has to say. I emailed them once about putting on different springs to increase load capacity, but never got a response. I suspect for liability reasons, they would not OK going beyond the rated weight capacity.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Trailex circa 1979, it was upgraded from a 16' to 18'.
the other issue is the strength of the crossbeams, if the double stack uses then at all. if you have the full length tongue (1 piece or 2?) it supplies added rigidity to the entire frame.
last year I upgraded the leaf springs, which are definitely too soft, with new ones from trailer parts superstore. it is a stiffer ride for my H18, but the boat tracks very well on the hwy as a result.

the most difficult part of working on Trailex trailers is freeing frozen steel bolts and nuts. I had to slice open a couple nuts to remove.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't gotten a reply yet from trailex. I have already put stiffer spring on the trailer as well. I don't know if it is worth the expense to change the trailer for how infrequently i will double stack. Looking on the forum it appears people have had success just stacking one boat on top of another and just use lots of padding and strapping.

I did find a easy way to free frozen bolts on the trailer. I sprayed pb blaster on the bolt i wanted to replace. Then i week later i took a Hammer drill that has rotation stop with a chisel bit and went to town on them. As long you kept the chisel on steel, the aluminum extrusion wasn't harmed. Just a couple spurts of the drill a couple different angles and the bolts slid right out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe update the tires with more size and greater weight capicity, If they are old they need replacing anyway
Former Hobie Adimaral Gary