Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats inside a comp tip?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are comp tips hollow or are there some baffels or foam plugs in them?

I have a mast the might have a little water in it. I weighted 2 masts and one is 4lbs heavier. I have drilled a couple rivits out at the mast rotater location and theres no water in the aluminum section. Any ideas...

corkguy H18, H18, H16 on lone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are foam plugs in each end, the rest is hollow.

The foam plugs are spray foam, not the kind you see in the aluminum sections. You can't just pull them out and reuse them. You have to pull them out in pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first thing to do is to determine whether the water is in the aluminum section or the comptip section of the mast. The two sections are isolated by various foam plugs. You can do this by placing your ear right against the mast and having someone tilt the end up and down. You will hear even very small amounts of water (and definitely 4 pounds of water) sloshing around inside.

Pulling out the rotator bolt/rivets will probably not allow the water to drain from the aluminum section. There is a foam plug in the mast that the rotator bolt passes through and seals the bottom of the mast and the bolt hole. If your mast has a sail feeder at the luff track opening, you should be able to remove those screws to drain the aluminum section. Otherwise, you can drill a small hole in the mast around that area, drain the mast, and then seal the hole with a pop rivet or self tapping screw and silicone.

If your comptip is leaking, then you need to pull off the head cap to drain the mast. This requires drilling out the six halyard hook rivets to remove the head cap. I had water in the comptip of my mast last year. In addition to the halyard hook rivets, the head cap was also glued in so removing was a bit of a project (and I ended up cracking the comptip, so be careful http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44683&p=189552&hilit=comptip#p189552). Just below the head cap, there was a thin fiberglass "plug" which I also had to destroy and remove to get the water out. In retrospect, drilling a small drain hole just below the halyard hook and then plugging with a rivet may have been the better route.

sm