Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Sailling
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd agree, except the guy who can get to that pod of redfish first is likely to start catching them sooner, or even be able to travel to other pods that might be out of the reach of those who don't have the option to go that far or that fast.

That was my point - it's about having additional options. You don't have to use them, but it you want or need to, they're nice to have.

Obviously, nobody is forced to buy or use one, but you're apt to find that many of us that have given them a try are enthusiastic proponents of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A gift to Mr Kirkman from Australia :

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillem ... _stability

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks but I have already received that gift and have been receiving it for many years. I am a subscriber to Sea Kayaker (excellent magazine) and fully understand how to read their stability charts.

I also know that the current incarnation of the Hobie Outback, in large swells and seas, will turn over or toss you out long before the 2005 model will. And I understand why.

Although, I still have no idea what your point is supposed to be. This thread has been about sailing the Pro Angler, not stability of various hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Thanks but I have already received that gift and have been receiving it for many years. I am a subscriber to Sea Kayaker (excellent magazine) and fully understand how to read their stability charts.

I also know that the current incarnation of the Hobie Outback, in large swells and seas, will turn over or toss you out long before the 2005 model will. And I understand why.

Although, I still have no idea what your point is supposed to be. This thread has been about sailing the Pro Angler, not stability of various hulls.

I think it is wishful thinking on your part to believe that Hobie will do a retro outback series in bringing back the 05 model, I would imagine it would be hard from Hobie's perspective to justify the retooling etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't expect Hobie to revert back to the older hull and have never wished nor suggested that they do.

Many kayak fishermen come to these craft from larger boats. Boats which have a completely different feel because of their much larger size and heft. Because of the hull design of the earlier Outback, many first timers said the boat "felt" tippy. Even though it wasn't at all easy to tip over, first timers often did have that impression, at least until they put a few miles on one and got their "sea legs" under them. But you can't sell something if a guy immediately feels adversity towards the thing. Thus, the hull change. A company must address the concerns and feelings of the potential buyer if it's going to sell boats.

You seem to have, as they say in other lands, "your knickers in a twist" about something. This is pointless. If you like your boat, why all the fuss because I or somebody else likes a different boat? Go out and enjoy your boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I wouldn't expect Hobie to revert back to the older hull and have never wished nor suggested that they do.

Many kayak fishermen come to these craft from larger boats. Boats which have a completely different feel because of their much larger size and heft. Because of the hull design of the earlier Outback, many first timers said the boat "felt" tippy. Even though it wasn't at all easy to tip over, first timers often did have that impression, at least until they put a few miles on one and got their "sea legs" under them. But you can't sell something if a guy immediately feels adversity towards the thing. Thus, the hull change. A company must address the concerns and feelings of the potential buyer if it's going to sell boats.

You seem to have, as they say in other lands, "your knickers in a twist" about something. This is pointless. If you like your boat, why all the fuss because I or somebody else likes a different boat? Go out and enjoy your boat.

No, I'm fine