Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PFD recommendation?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've looked at a lot of pics of everyone sailing in their PFD and not seeing any auto inflatable ones. I have a Hobie lifevest and a Mustang auto inflatable. The auto inflatable seems more comfortable but I'm wondering if I should be using the Hobie vest instead. I'm sailing inland, no oceans. Thanks for your recs/insights!

Post subject: Re: PFD recommendation?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

These Palm PFD's are the business and highly recommended by many people here in the UK

[url]
http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/gear/kaikoura.html[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chopcat wrote:
These Palm PFD's are the business and highly recommended by many people here in the UK

Must be the Rolls Royce of PFD's for kayaks. The price is highest I have seen for a PFD in this category. Is it realy worth the money?

br thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
Chopcat wrote:

Must be the Rolls Royce of PFD's for kayaks. The price is highest I have seen for a PFD in this category. Is it realy worth the money?

br thomas

In my humble opinion yes. You don't buy one all that often. I can store all the emergency stuff in it no problem.

Here is Rob Appleby's review which is very helpful

http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.com/2009/03/palm-kaikoura-tour-pfd_08.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately the Palm does not meet PFD1 standards here in Australia, which is 150N. This is a requirement for crossing most river bars in the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like most, I've gone through a number of vests. Hobie's Life Vest is poor in a number of respects. (1) It does not have a side-release buckle belt--zipper is the only closure. (2) Only 2 pockets, both of which are very tight. (3) No loops to tie emergency equipment. (4) Light-weight, delicate materials. (5) Unless you have small hands, difficult to start zipper--too snug to flotation material.

Since I do solo camp trips, I do not use an inflatable vest. I want a PFD which works whether I am incapacitated or not.

An excellent vest is the c-vest from NRS. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2157 It has a mesh back with high flotation which fits above the Hobie seat back. It also addresses every shortcoming of the Hobie Life Vest mentioned above. The vest has 6 pockets. When I am underway, it holds a tethered VHF radio, tethered SPOT device, tethered Leatherman knife, tethered waterproof camera, spool of leader material, snack bars. On the NRS site it rates a 4.8/5.0 stars--21 reviews.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Unfortunately the Palm does not meet PFD1 standards here in Australia, which is 150N. This is a requirement for crossing most river bars in the country.

Can you link to a photo of a 150N PFD1 deployed?

I ask because, depending on what country you are in, there can be confusion between the terms Life Jacket, Personal Floatation Device, Buoyancy Aid.

In the UK, 150N flotation would only be required for a Life Jacket. These must be designed so that an unconscious person would be turned face up in the water. Which is fine, but they are generally so bulky when inflated that they would seriously obstruct an active swimmer trying to re-board their boat.

A UK Buoyancy Aid, like the Palm one, is aimed at the "active swimmer" scenario rather than the "unconscious casualty." They will commonly have 50-70N flotation, and have less bulk, so as not to get in the way. They also often have pockets so that emergency items like knife, whistle, radio can stay with the wearer if they get separated from the boat.

They are different devices for different scenarios. I suppose a compromise would be to use an auto-inflate life jacket which would turn you face up, but had an option to partially deflate manually, reducing the bulk and flotation, but making it easier to re-board your boat. But I haven't heard of anything like that on the market.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a photo of one inflated, but as far as I am aware, all inflatable lifejackets have an inflation tube, in which a small valve can be pressed to let some or all of the air out (or put some in). I have heard of some people blowing a small amount of air into the jacket during deteriorating conditions, to provide some buoyancy without the jacket becoming too bulky, retaining the option to inflate it fully if needed.

It seems to be the general concensus that auto-inflating lifejackets are unsuitable for use on Islands as the very wet environment could lead to premature inflation, hence manually operated (by pulling the ripcord, or inflating it by mouth) is the preferred approach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice gear but I don't think palm is a US product.

Hoky- I own the Hobie inflatable and it's fine for a lake.

If you are into serious offshore sailing, I'd recommend the West Marine Offshore model. Manuals only.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with Chekika and his recommendation for the NRS model (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2157). My current PFD is very similar and if I was in the market for a new one, that'd be my top choice.

I already researched this topic myself several months back... this PFD has big pockets & lash tabs for emergency gear, big zippers, buckle closure and zipper closure, it's from NRS so it's well made, it has passive flotation. Also, NRS is a fantastic company with great products. I have a lot of their gear and I absolutely love it all.

Whatever you ultimately decide on, buy the vest in the country you'll be sailing in so it's sure to meet that nation's legal requirements.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see backcountry.com has a 15% discount on the NRS cVest. http://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalo ... =cvest&s=u

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:

Are there life jackets for sale out there for sale in the US that meet the type III pfd requirements and have the nice features like the Palm Kaikoura?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtbros wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Are there life jackets for sale out there for sale in the US that meet the type III pfd requirements and have the nice features like the Palm Kaikoura?

This one looks like it might come close
http://modernkayakfishing.com/articles/ ... t-tour-pfd

but I need a 150N PFD to pass through the local bar to go offshore, and have a 100N PFD with inbuilt flotation for inshore use.

I would love to find a 150N PFD with all the features of the NRS model quoted...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Edit: just realized that it's for sale at most places for $150 which is a lot better. Still missing the hand warmer pockets though. All the features are there besides them, they're not too big of a deal but they'd just be nice really.
Still open to other suggestions also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love my Kokatat Bahia.
Have had a whole slew of different pfd's over the years, and this one is IT for me.
has a couple of pockets- zippered for small stuff (fits an PLB), then a nice radio pocket. The pockets are large enough to hold most "on the body items", but not so big to make self-rescue a PITA. Nice high back mesh. I've worn it from 100 degree heat (F of course), to freezing and it is comfortable throughout the range.