Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have minor scratches on the bottom of the hulls from the rocks shores where I sail. I would like advice on how to repair and maybe apply something to prevent further scratches.

Thanks in advance,

gcoop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scratches in the bottom of a Hobie 16... probably not worth worrying about. The boats are designed to be dragged around on the beach. If you're an A-fleet racer, it may be worth repairing, otherwise, probably a waste of time. When the bottoms wear through the gelcoat and into the glass, do a bottom job. Otherwise, unless you baby the boat and move it around with beach wheels, you're just going to get more scratches anyway.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scratches on a Hobie 16 tell the world that you are out there having a Hobie Day
The hull bottoms are the thickest part of a hobie hull
Do not worry in any way
Do you have cat trax beach wheels if not get some
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the responses and i guess they aren't scratches as much as gouges and scrapes through the gelcoat from the rocks. There isn't any leaking but would like to keep them that way.

What about Marine Tex to build up the hull bottoms?

Thanks again,
gcoop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gcoop wrote:
What about Marine Tex to build up the hull bottom?

I'd say NO to that imho. Repair it right if it's the outer gel coat that you want to fix. Check the "this old Hobie" article May - June 2009 Issue of Hobie Hotline for gel coat repairs here http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/

Or http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/hobiec ... 6_2009.pdf

There's a ton more info on these forums on gel coat repairs to search or ask more questions here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually, for this application, Marine-Tex is not a bad solution. It's on the bottom of the boat where a color match isn't that important. The inherent stickiness of epoxy means you don't need to open up the scratches like you would with a polyester repair.

Turn the boat over in the grass and use a plastic scraper to apply the Marine-Tex. You don't want to be sanding it after it cures. Just get it in the srcatches (clean well with acetone beforehand).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I admit to using Marine tex I use a putty knife to apply and smooth the area
It lasts a long long time on sand and rocks
A jar of marine tex should be in your Hobie Hell Box anyway
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there anything like marine tex that is sand-able after it cures? I have a couple trouble areas on the bottom of my 80. Not worried about how it looks after repairs...just that its smooth!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobiesrock wrote:
Is there anything like marine tex that is sand-able after it cures? I have a couple trouble areas on the bottom of my 80. Not worried about how it looks after repairs...just that its smooth!

Marine Tex is sandable, but it's much harder than gel coat. It's nearly impossible to fair in to the adjoining surface.

For stuff that's the same hardness as gel coat, use Evercoat Formula 27. It's polyester based and a light gray color.

For stuff that's a bit harder, but stickier (it's vinylester based), try 3M Marine Premium Filler. The hardener that comes with it is bright blue, so get some white cream paste hardener to go with it, unless you don't care if your patches are blue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for info! 3M Marine Premium Filler sounds like the ticket...and bonus...my 1980 is blue! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or you can just get some gelcoat, thicken it to a paste, and spread it into the gouges the same as you would with Marine Tex- except that you'll avoid any issues related to mixing epoxy with polyester. Plus you can wet sand/buff it so it shines (unlike Marine Tex or Formula 27). If you get gelcoat pre-mixed with wax, it's very easy to work with and will cure rock hard and sand no problem.

I would avoid using Marine Tex (or any epoxy product). If you end up doing a full bottom job somewhere down the road, there's a good chance you'll end up with compatability issues.

sm