Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Hobie, you might want to know that Triak has got a Triak vs. Hobie page on their website. http://www.triaksports.com/TRIAK/triak-vs-hobie.html
It bothers me that some of their points are either not true or misleading. Is there anything you can do about this?

Post subject: Re: Triak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When head to head comparisons go beyond specifications and enter the realm of somewhat subjective comments, which are often a bit unkind to the listed competitor, you can be sure of one thing - the competitor must be king of the hill.

The Triak is a very nice boat. It should be sold on its own merits without the slightly harsh comments about the Hobie. This sort of thing never ends up the way the advertiser hoped, and I doubt it's going to hurt Hobie one iota. In fact, it may sell more boats for Hobie than it does for Triak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good link, RR. The picture they show, supposedly of an AI diving, is one of mine--it does not show any diving at all. What it shows is that the AI is a wet ride. I think the AI wet ride is going to be taken care of within a year or so via KB's spray skirts and other innovations. I've never used a Triak, but any boat that slices through waves at water level, is going to be a wet ride to varying degrees. The makers of that page are guilty of false advertising to be sure, but, hey, we are talking business practices, right?

As TK says, Hobie doesn't have much to worry about from a Triak. I don't even think a Triak has done the EC. As they say, where's the beef?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't like the false advertising by Triak!! Shame on them! It's fine to compare specifications, but not misleading opinions. The TRIAK & AI were designed for different purposes. I bet you can't go fishing & camping on the TRIAK as we can on a AI/TI!

The AI & TI are both easily carried on the roof of a car - a trailer is not essential. (In fact I suspect that there are more AI/TI owners who car-top their boats than there are who use a trailer).

As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the Hobie AI/TI design for all round versatility!

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They have a Facebook page...

Just let them know how wrong they are - I just did!

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also passed on "my regards" on their Facebook page

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is one Triak registered for the Watertribe Everglades Challenge. It is a friend of my from Richmond VA. He did the North Carolina Challenge last year.

The boat is fast on a reach. Unfortunately we seldom have these ideal conditions. In the fall we took a practice run in some rough conditions. His port Aka sustained a crack at the support joint. I see it a a bad design. The Aka is not balanced and it has a single support point.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/NjcHTpFJ2M4[/youtube]

The AI has a much better load carrying capability. The AI points higher. I also spent most of my time taking video and eating while he had to use his hands to paddle.

If the EC is a down wind race I will have problems keeping up with him. Any other wind or rough seas, watch out and get out of my way...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes - we've seen the Triak page with the Island comparison. It's not effecting us at all, and I wouldn't go on their facebook page and bash them, that's not the correct approach. I have also taken a look at their FB page, and the majority of things I see lately are people upset that they paid for something and Triak didn't deliver. I think they have some issues - you rarely ever hear something like that about a Hobie Dealer. Let's just be good fellow kayak enthusiasts and let it rest. Please don't go on someone's facebook and make posts to further aggrivate the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I was considering whether to buy a TI last Spring, I did a lot of research. Honestly, I was looking for negative comments about the TI, which are generally hard to find. I came across that site. My first reaction was: "Wow, they must really be scared of the competiton." I think a more neutral comparison of the differences between the two would have tempered that reaction. My second thought, after reading through it was, "These guys are trying to compare apples to oranges, because the Triak and the TI are two different animals".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's been up there a long time. Look at the list price for the AI. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kayakinriverotter wrote:
Hey Hobie, you might want to know that Triak has got a Triak vs. Hobie page on their website. http://www.triaksports.com/TRIAK/triak-vs-hobie.html
It bothers me that some of their points are either not true or misleading. Is there anything you can do about this?
:lol: Welcome to the world of marketing! Does anyone recall the last presidential election? We probably saw $1Billion utterly wasted on slurs, half-truths and outright fabrications. Apparently no laws were broken and there is not enough outrage do change things.

So Triak's little "comb-over" doesn't strike me as being out of bounds. As it reads today, I though all of their bullet points were accurate, with the exception of the trailering being mandatory for the AI. Far from it. And the trailer setup they show is ALL WRONG! :shock:

However, Triaks are lighter and easier to cartop and their Amas could fit more easily in more vehicles, which is a good point. But in marketing-speak, if Triak's required a trailer, they would tout "No setup time" and "Instant launch and retrieval",.. :roll: You see my point.

I do think the "dry storage" comparison is questionable. And it was very tacky to use Keith's photo without permission or credit.

And they lose badly on the price to fun ratio. (Wet or dry!) :mrgreen:

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i didnt' have time to read all the page info yet but that picture at the top of the big fella in a little boat is very amusing to me... reminds me of chris farley in tommy boy when he got inside that little sail boat ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At the same site Triak company also have a chart where they compare the Triak with other competitors.

They give the Triak 5 for sailing and a Laser just 4 (!).

Who are they kidding?

The chart is here:
http://www.triaksports.com/TRIAK/versus.html

The Laser is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nJ8UkOGwg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

br thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And Hey- you'll never get tramps or a Haka on the Triak. That's reason enough for me to skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
Yes - we've seen the Triak page with the Island comparison. It's not effecting us at all, and I wouldn't go on their facebook page and bash them, that's not the correct approach.

How to run a good company 101. Make a good product and know that people will realize that when they see it. Word of mouth is the most powerful sales tool a company has.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe