Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken paddle blade
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out in the Mosquito Lagoon, Florida, and it was getting a little too shallow for easy pedalling due to seagrass. Picked up the paddle and paddled for about 30 minutes and one of the blades snapped off the paddle. Although it was shallow, I was still using it to push against the water and not the bottom. The paddle is old (5 years). It came with my first Outback in 2007. Yeah, so it has been an awesome, strong paddle and I have done a pretty good job of not putting it through a lot of abuse. I saw a post about another broken paddle blade that was three years old which one of the forum administrators said it could be replaced after filing a claim with a Hobie dealer. I was wondering if I would also have this option?... or if the 5 year old paddle is way out of warranty.

Post subject: Re: Broken paddle blade
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did a search for Broken Paddle and ran into this post. I also had a broken paddle incident. I think this could be a much more common thing than most people realize. I couldn't believe it just snapped off the way it did.

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your paddle has an aluminum shaft, I would just buy another. If you want to stick with aluminum, you can get them pretty cheap most anywhere. Just get one with a dihedral, not flat, blade. Of course you can also spend more and get a glass or carbon paddle.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12718561&ppp=36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a broken paddle on my 2009 Revolution when it was new. It was covered under warranty and they have since changed the design (or manufacturer?) of the paddle.

It's worth asking your dealer about a warranty claim, however I'm sure that age plays a role. Losing our paddle blade in the first summer that we had the boat while just using it in water, (no impacts with rocks, weeds etc) was probably an easier warranty claim than an older paddle which may have much more use on it.

Either way, it can't hurt to ask your dealer. Hobie is excellent with their warranty claims and perhaps they know of a batch of weaker paddles.

But if you don't get the claim, you don't need to buy an expensive paddle for a Hobie, you'll be using your feet most of the time anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also had a Hobie paddle break on me after only a year. I didnt want to bother with the warranty, instead I got an aluminum paddle at (what I think is) a decent price:
http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/index.cfm?page=detail&catID=557&productID=11144