Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 v 14 fly fishing?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I'm looking to add to my current fleet and need a little insight before a test paddle. I currently paddle a Commander 140 and a Ride 115, mostly small to larger local fresh water lakes.

I fly fish only so I was wondering if there was a big difference between the two when standing and fly casting?

Is the 12 much more manueverable than the 14 when your positiong to cast?

Sometimes my Commander which is 14 has that battle ship feel when trying to turn it.

Thanks and nice boards you boys have over here.

Post subject: Re: 12 v 14 fly fishing?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think there is much difference between the two when standing and yes, the 12 does maneuver better than the 14. You will probably want to remove the mirage drive or turn around and face the back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I find it better to stay seating when fly fishing from the Pro Angler. Once you stand, you lose all ability to motivate and steer.

If you drop a sweater or something over one side of the boat, to cover anything you have located there and the side rail, you'll find a snag-free area for stripping and shooting line. And, seated, you're up a bit higher than in most kayaks and have the ability to motivate and steer at the same time. It's a deadly way to fish.

I doubt there'd be much difference in the two sizes as far as doing this goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

my son fly fished out of his old style seat PA 14 with little problem--standing.
he is now fishing out of a 2013 PA14 and says the difference is night an day. he says he can move his feet at will to adjust himself. and with the seat raised in the new boat, he can lean slightly against the seat for additional balance. i dont fly fish, but i do stand a lot to fish. we fish the flats for redfish and standing gives a much better prospective. i love the ability to stand in center of the boat, rather than forward. one would think that since the PA14 is a few inches wider, it would be more stable when standing, but not that he or i have noticed. i assume its the sponson design hull the PA boats share, that gives them a 'wide feel' in the water.
as for maneuvering, we have not noticed a difference in either boat. each one has its own 'personality' in the water and no two handle alike, but we have not noted a recordable difference.
for mobility when standing, again we fish in shallow water, we use these.

http://www.accentpaddles.com/transformer-versa.php

whether as a paddle or a pushpole, it makes life much easier. and it can be converted to a stake out pole as well.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

uno mas wrote:
my son fly fished out of his old sytyle seat PA 14 with little problem--standing.
he is now fishing out of a 2013 PA14 and says the difference is night an day. he says he can move his feet at will to adjust himself. and with the seat raised in the new boat, he can lean slightly against the seat for additional balance. i dont fly fish, but i do stand a lot to fish. we fish the flats for redfish and standing gives a much better prospective. i love the ability to stand in center of the boat, rather than forward. one would think that since the PA14 is a few inches wider, it would be more stable when standing, but not that he or i have noticed. i assume its the sponson design hull the PA boats share, that gives them a 'wide feel' in the water.
as for maneuvering, we have not noticed a difference in either boat. each one has its own 'personality' in the water and no two handle alike, but we have not noted a recordable difference.
for mobility when standing, again we fish in shallow water, we use these.

http://www.accentpaddles.com/transformer-versa.php

whether as a paddle or a pushpole, it makes life much easier. and it can be converted to a stake out pole as well.

cheers.
drew

Thanks Drew, I spend almost all my fishing time standing in my Commander140 so I known were your coming from. The reaason I'm considering the PA is because of the fixed feet position that occurs when your feet are in the sponsons that the Commander also has. The flat standing area with the ability to flip the seat up for more room make the PA real attractive. I will occasionally fly cast from the captains perch on my Commander while sitting, but it just is not the same as standing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the old style 14 and love it...although it would be nice to have a new 14 where the seat flips up for more room. My preference is....the bigger the better....especially if fishing big or rough water! I haven't been in a 12 so not sure how stable it is compared to a 14. I would think wider would be more stable? I've tried to roll my 14 while standing up and can't turn it over unless in high waves or if I grab the side and pull it over. I stand and cast all the time on the back of my old 14 but not sure if you can do this in a 12?

A lot depends upon your style of fishing, how much gear and accesories you intend on carrying, etc. If you are making super long casts with lots of line it would be a definite advantage to stand while casting. You will likely cast farther, more accurate, and strip line easier than sitting. I often sight fish while standing so that is an added plus. More room...easier to stand and fish.

The storage compartment in front of the old style seat is about 3" taller than the bottom of the kayak so this can be a pain in the rear when maneuvering around in the old 14. I think it is flat in the new model?

Another consideration is my line seems to always want to tangle on my peddles and other items. It also is a lot easier to fight large fish while standing. Bigger kayak, more storage, more room to fight giant fish, more space for gear....you can understand what I'm talking about! I can pretty much turn on a dime once I start peddling my 14...so I'm not sure if there is any advantage there? From my understanding a longer kayak is faster on a lake than a shorter kayak...but that may not make much of a difference? The only advantage I can see for a smaller kayak is easier to load/unload and takes up less room in storage.

I often trout fish with indicators on my fly rod so there is no need to stand when doing this. I often turn around facing backwards and crouch down on my old style 14 seat. This way I can fish behind me and follow my indicator as it moves towards the back of my kayak. There are so many options on how to fish w/a PA that a lot depends on your style of fishing. Some guys troll...others strip streamers, etc. I'm all over the place when flyfishing on my 14 and it's nice having all the room! Any way you put it...my vote goes for the larger kayak!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim, good points.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used both and the 14 in my opinion is more stable. I found the same as jims that in a 14 you had to try to flip it. I did filp the 12 once seated and was my fault.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I tested both with specifically flyfishing and bowfishing in mind, and I found the 14 to be the better boat for my needs as a bigger guy. Both boats seem identical from the back right up to the mirage drives, all the difference is from there forward - 2 extra built in rod holders (suggesting a deeper cockpit or taller bow) and a bigger/longer front hatch, which is great for storing a bulky jacket and other stuff you might need for a long day on the water.
I love the ability to stand and make long casts - and I do find the mirage drive seems to vacuum in any flyline that falls around it, particularly annoying is that the line always wants to jam itself in a pedal pinch point. I'm in the market for a good stripping basket for that reason...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
For anyone interested. I fly fish off the PA 14 old style. I find that using a line control device will greatly enhance your experience. I have fished both fresh water and salt. Like others have said the fly line can get caught on the drive and makes for poor casting. Get your self or better yet make your self a line basket and dont look back. Also I am able to place 9ft fly rods on the top rod tubes and they protrude out of the cockpit but are well within the hull. My typical load out is 6 wt, 8wt, and 3 wt just for grins. My PA has worked very well for me. Cheers. BB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a PA 14 for sight fishing the flats. I like the bigger boat because I pole it around and the longer bigger boat is better for me. I take out the seat and put a Yeti 35 qt cooler there and stand on it for better line of sight. Works great.

As for the line getting in the peddles....take a wet towel and cover them up. The line slides right off of them and you dont have to take out the mirage drive. You can use the deck just like you would a flats boat.