Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headsail for TI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know Hobie are unwilling to do a headsail for the AI / TI for engineering reasons, but these reasons have never been divulged.

Would Hobie be willing to detail these concerns, and perhaps a draft of their design for the community to perhaps put some input to.

We are a bright bunch, widely varied, widely skilled, widely versed, from all walks of life.

Cheers

Greg

Post subject: Re: Headsail for TI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Greg;I have been to considerable trouble and experimentation to put a headsail (jib) on my AI if you send me an email to [email protected], I will send you a 'couple of pages of my efforts with some not so good photos, but you will get the idea.
Cheers, looking forward to hearing from you. Vintagereplica

If it works...what the heck...modify it anyway![quote][/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Worky, I believe some of the engineering concerns have already been tabled on the forum, including:-
* Insufficient hull stiffness forward of the mast due to the large hatch opening
* The bracing for the mast is only lateral, leaving it vulnerable to fore and aft loads
* While a fractional jib would be the best solution, the rotating mast makes fitment impractical
* There is no easy way to counteract the sailing loads a jib would place on an unstayed mast without re-engineering the mast section and/or adding stays going rearward.

I'm sure there are many other factors, but as you say, there are lots of resourceful people here, so who knows!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

worky:
TonyStott discribes the current situation pretty well. Back in 2010 I got tired of waiting for Hobie to release their promised jib option so I developed my own sails. I outlined all the designs and construction in great detail on this thread The ultimate Tandem Island (hydrofoils,spinnaker,jib,etc) viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720
I have so many miles on most of these sails now some have worn out (way over 2500 sailing miles). My original 35-40 sq ft jib sail finally blew out and am using just an old Hobie Kayak sail currently for the jib (22 sq ft), it still works great and I don't go out without the jib. It increases the performance of the boat, and also allows you to point much closer to the wind.
I have my new sails designed, and will start sewing them up during the next couple months. My new setup will be.
Jib 35sq ft furlable convertable soft wing sail. (can be used as a standard jib or a wing)
Mainsail 90 sq ft furlable convertible soft wing sail (made from the TI main sail).
Rear sail 25 sq self aligning wing sail (launched with halyard up rear stay line), will likely only be used on a reach in low winds. (still unsure if I'll make this one).
Assymetric spinnaker 135 sq ft ( only for downwind (90-270 degres) furlable.
Total sail area will be 285 sq ft.
The easiest solution is to just rig a Hobie Kayak sail to either a AI or TI as a jib, many have done it, most of us have several Hobie Kayak sails just lying around anyway. Doesn't need to be anything fancy just to try it out and see if you like it.
Good Luck
Bob

The boat is specifically rigged to exploit the typical very low wind conditions on the gulf coast (around 5mph typically during the summer).
I'm converting everything to wing sails because they are more efficient, and create much less healing moment to the hull (ie... the force that is trying to tip you over)