Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone,

I have been searching the forums for a few months now, and after getting a new to me 2011 PA 14, I have decided to build a rolling storage cart for the my garage. I am thinking of going with the PVC pipe method, but I have no idea on how far apart to mount the supports. I have seen a few posts that said they used 7' pipe, but some have gone as long as 10'. I was leaning towards longer, but not sure if the crossbeams (to support the wight of the PA) would really need to be 10' appart.

I am planning on putting it on casters and having a bottom shelf to store all of my "necessities".

Thanks for any advice you may have,

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

this is the trolley I built for my PA14 and recently adapted to my new PA12. it's essentially 8' long and I used 10' lengths of 2" PVC without any support except for the ends.

the PVC bends to conform to the bottom of the yak. I haven't fastened things down yet--just seeing how it works before I do. want to make sure the bottom of the boat is not being deformed.

my profile pic (below) shows the trolley as it was built for the PA14 and before I added the PVC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That looks awesome. That pretty much exactly what I want to do. How long have you had the PA on there so far?

It looks like you have lots of space for your gear down below. Also, I like the idea of the rod rack (I asume that is what the blue foam is for on that lower crossbar). I may have to borrow that idea....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I built one just like that too talgate height, about 7' of pvc is all thatll make contact with the hull. Id buy 2 or 3 inch depending on how much flex u want. They both come in 10 ft sections, slap the pvc on the cart with boat on top mark length u want & where u want you L brackets, then cut the pipe, cut slots in pvc where u want your brackets so itll flex and guve more stressing hull less. Attach brackets to p c with bolt put back on cart. Put boat on pvc and center it on the cart. Then scew your brackets to the cart with boat on. Presto done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently built a cart for my 2013 PA 14.

Its 40" wide to be a wider than the kayak, 8' long to use full 2x4s and a full length sheet of plywood, and as tall as my truck when casters are added. I'm able to push the cart to my truck, the PVC hits my tailgate and I'm able to push the kayak into my truck easily.

I used 2" electrical PVC conduit (it was cheaper) spaced about 11.5" apart. Dry fit first using clamps and get the fit you want. After I marked the wood with where the PVC would go, I drilled a 3/8" hole through the 2x4 and used 3/8"-4.5" lag bolts with a washer and lock nut.

Check eBay for casters. I got mine for $25 shipped.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishin Ski wrote:
That looks awesome. That pretty much exactly what I want to do. How long have you had the PA on there so far?

It looks like you have lots of space for your gear down below. Also, I like the idea of the rod rack (I asume that is what the blue foam is for on that lower crossbar). I may have to borrow that idea....

it's been on there close to a month. I bought these locking foam mats and use the material for padding. cut off the edges and used that for my rod holders. trying to design rod holders for my truck. already have broken guides during transit.

trolley is ideal for my PA12. can store it and my equipment on it. everything is right there so less chance of forgetting something. also I can roll it right up to my truck and shove the boat into the bed. after fishing, I pull it out onto the trolley and wash it down, then roll everything back into the garage.

only problem is no room in the garage for my truck. having to build a storage shed for all my junque.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good job guys, here is mine...bought a trailer now...this one is x sale in the pensacola area.
[imgImage[/img]

[imgImage/img]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have made a similar cart, roughly 36" wide x 7' long x 40" tall. Will be getting a PA 14 down the road but unsure if this cart will be wide enough, may need to tweak it to accommodate a PA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the ideas and the great pictures.
I am working on mine and wonder if someone could show a closeup or how they attach the PVC supports to the frame. i assume they are attached so that they can give a little and flex with the kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

more of the same :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used L brackets to attach PVC ..cut slots in pipe for flex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is the rack I built for my Pro Angler. The entire project cost $70 to build. I built an 18 rod holder out of 2x6 on the back to store all of my rods. The bottom is where I keep my Ocean Kayak Trident. I put everything on wheels and made the height so that the kayak slides on and off the tailgate of my truck with no effort at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

prelude13,

That is very nice work! You'll have to post a picture of it with all your equipment in the rack. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass