Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone looked on EBay at the trolling motor which fits through the Mirage Drive hole? I am trying to find out the manufacturers name. At present...only Zupernowa_Store is listed via EBay. I am trying to find an alternate source for the motor rather than going through EBay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/ This is where I got mine.

Greg
Houston,TX

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.ecanoe.org/how_to_shorten_yo ... shaft_.htm

Figured id post that up.....post up the link if you find the motor....used to be a small very small drive motor on ebay just the motor head it was under trolling motor replacement head but they are no longer available

Post subject: rECEIVED SMALL MOTOR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just received the small motor listed on eBay. It is a 18lb Watersnake 12VDC with two speeds and forward/reverse. I don't think a higher thrust (larger) motor head would fit through the Mirage well. It comes with a plastic extension to help keep the motor bracket aligned and a wooden block with a steel pin running through it to fit on the lock cams. One tenth the price of the Torqueedo...I didn't need the GPS or remote function. I am going to use a small AGM battery...a lot cheaper than than a Li-Ion battery, but heavier.
If the wooden block deteriorates...I will replace it with a Hi-Density Poly block with a stainless pin inserted through it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dang that guys makin money.....let us know how it works

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... W&i=693707

Post subject: Watersnake modification
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 'eBay' watersnake motor has been modified: a white poly extension coming from the motor shaft that extends forward to keep the shaft from tilting, a black-painted wooden block with a steel pin to attach to the lock cams, and the single transom clamp replaced with two clamps to better attach to the wooden block. I could probably have made my own modifications at a lower price, but
I would have had to locate dual clamps which would fit a Watersnake, found a plastic extension that would attach to the shaft, cut and drill my own transom block, and buy/modify a steel rod that would fit the cam locks.
It was worth the money to let the seller do the modifications.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would make my own using a drilled Hobie drive well cassette and a Minn Kota or MotorGuide motor, of no less that 30#. You can also buy a Bass Pro Shops 30# which is made by one or the other for $99.99. Any two bladed prop will fit through the drive well. If you search the forums, you will see how it's done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been doing alot of thinking on this and have decided to mount mine on the aka bar.....my only reason for having the motor would be for windless situations, equiptment failures or situations where i can not fight current or wind enough to get where i need to go

From a safety stand point i think being able to peddle while you motor is the best option.....the well mount option is so slick tho :mrgreen: if it werent for what i stated above id go that way.....im guna make mine removable and have a box for it so its not always out...only when i need it

Tho once i get used to it im sure im guna wanna use it all the time :mrgreen:

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This will work on a PA, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f-Ojs2bUs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Deepbluesilence wrote:
Been doing alot of thinking on this and have decided to mount mine on the aka bar.....my only reason for having the motor would be for windless situations, equiptment failures or situations where i can not fight current or wind enough to get where i need to go
I'm not discounting these reasons, but you have other options on the TI. In low wind. you can pedal moderately to fill the sail, or use a barber hauler. Or have 2 people pedal (very fast). Or go closer/further from shore, looking for better wind.

Equipment failures on a TI are no bid deal. You have redundancy. And a paddle, BTW,..

With a TI sail AND drives you can lick almost any current for awhile. But having a drive on board would be handy if your stuck way off course at the end of the day, or often need to quickly traverse a busy or tricky channel where you don't want to tack.

It's not that drive can't extend your range for a long fishing trip to the banks, it's just that you don't want to get in the habit of relying on battery auxiliary power for that. Otherwise, your risk factors go up.

Deepbluesilence wrote:
From a safety stand point i think being able to peddle while you motor is the best option.....the well mount option is so slick tho :mrgreen: if it werent for what i stated above id go that way.....im guna make mine removable and have a box for it so its not always out...only when i need it
The well mount drive will be the most efficient and effective, and likely most expensive. Hopefully, you'll sail your boat pretty hard before going through the time and expense of adding a motor.

As far as Aka mounts, are you planning on controlling it from the front or rear seat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

^^nohuhu i completely agree with everything you said, but i have a AI haha....my first round of thinking i was set on buying a new mirage drive use that and have my old one as a backup....in walks price from stage left :mrgreen:

I can buy a 35ah batt and a 30lb thrust motor and rig it anyway i want really i have the mats already of hand to either cast an epoxy drive well plug for an in hull mount or to do an aka mount.....bout 200$....give me 2-3hrs max speed of 2.5ish mph...enough to get back in if needed

Or turbo mirage....bout 600$.....give me unlimited 5mph ish if i have mech problems and im in shape so i can hammer through current if need be

Pros and cons of both....im looking for safety so although im on a budget i have no problem spending more money if it is a clearly better option.....either one will be in a box behind me in storage as a peddlex2 paddle sail or peddle paddle sail motor option.....simply extra safety precaution

This is where i would greatly appreciate your input nohuhu i know you are well versed on the islands just from lurking the forums.....offshore its about safety as you know....ive been offshore kayak fishing for about 6yrs but fishing an island is no comparison. I have been practicing my sailing and will continue to until im comfortable and then start doing my offshore fishing trips...

As far as getting into trouble what ever it may be do you thinkmthe trolling motor would be enough propulsion to use as a safety measure or should i justswing for another drive?

Thanks
-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops - I missed that. I just saw your older AI with the roll bar added.

For an AI, at that price, the motor makes a lot more sense. As long as it has enough thrust. It will need enough to push the boat in calm water at 4-5 knots if your seriously going to substitute it for a mirage drive. Otherwise it may impede sailing.

Against the wind and current, a pair of turbofins should outperform the motor. In surf, swells or shallows the mirage drive would be my choice. But you could buy 2 motors for the price of one spare Mirage Drive. Funny how that works, huh?

And I can see how a small motor would help while trolling at times or for reversing the boat. On a long return haul in calm conditions, a motor sounds great. You could put on some tunes, lean back on that backrest and ZZZzzzzz,.... ;-)

You know your hunting grounds best, so I can tell you are on the right track. I just needed to express the obvious notion that part of the beauty of these boats is NOT requiring a motor on board.

The wind is your friend. If you can do without a motor 95% of the time, you are going to LOVE your new ride.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea its a hard decision.....the extra mirage would save a weekend if the other one breaks while still having spare parts to bring out.....its just hard being a college student....every penny counts especially after dropping a few grand on a boat :mrgreen:

Honestly tho for the money its the most worthy craft out there...no need for a trailer, maintenance cost isnt even close to a boat, multiple ways to get back safe....at the end of the day i consider myself safer being offshore then the guys you see in the little john boats with a single motor.....island are much less likely to sink and the chances of loosing all modes of propulsion are slim to none :mrgreen:

-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being you're so good with pvc, I would give Tom's mini-motor-mount a try, It's pretty clever, and cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree thats a clever setup he came up with.....i think im going to do the same thing except in the rear cup holder