Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Feedback on Rectangular Twist and Seal Hatch?

Maybe no feedback is a good thing, but I have not seen any comments on the rectangular hatches on the PAs. This is a Hobie designed hatch system incorporating a unique seal. The flange and seal are designed to drain water away from the hatch area so hen opened you don't get water down inside.

In addition, the tackle tray feature and optional drop-in buckets?

How's it going out there?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok, I'll bite.
I don't take water over the bow or over the side, but I do get water on the deck from wet fish, soaked landing net and sometimes wet feet. I spray the boats off with tons of water after each trip and never towel dry. About every 5th trip I use a sponge to get about 4oz of water/liquid from the inside of the hull.
So I guess the hatch is dry and sealed very well.

As far as the tackle management, it's a really neat idea, but not nearly usefull enough for my own needs. Two lil boxes are not enough. I stand a lot, with the seat folded up, and lean back against the seat for a little stability. So the two under seat boxes would be in my way. I even took out the stap so I won't step on it.

The new gear bucket seems to be a great addition. It looks like it will hold 3 or 4 of the blue plano bizes. However, I can't say for sure. My dealer has not been able to get them yet. They are on order, just not here yet. Anxiously waiting to try them out.
Sorry that I am not a fan if the management system, but hey, you asked.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've looked at them and I don't like them. They are open to the bottom so if you take a wave when it is open you will get water in the hold. if you drop something it is in the hull where you may not be able to get it. The slanted tackle box holders look nice but it is a waste of space.

I like the old style. It has a tray so I can just open it and throw something into it if necessary. The tray prevents water from getting into the hull. It also allows me to change the configuration to suit my needs instead of being forced to just using the plano boxes. I also like the raised cutting board. I didn't find it restricting when standing because my feet have to be on either side of it to balance.

It almost seems that these design changes are made by people that don't use your product or fish. same with the seat, the arms make it hard to get in and out and it makes it less stable because it is raised so much and less comfortable than the old one. Also, the 12 ft PA doesn't make alot of sense to me ....... it negates alot of the advantages of the PA 14 and it's only a few pounds less etc.

You had to fix stuff that wasn't broken and raised the price 20%. It's the reason I bought my second PA on a year end close out .......... because I don't like the new design and I wanted a back up incase something went wrong with the 1 I have now.

It would have been better if you would have spent the time and energy designing a decent Evolve rear mount for the PA like you have for the Revo and the Outback because the present Evolve is an accident waiting to happen when someone hits an oyster bar far from shore that wrecks the engine and cracks the hull .......... It took me a year to get my rear mounted Torqeedo satisfactory and now I love it.

Just my opinion ............ maybe you should give some prototypes to a few people that fish to evaluate before you change your designs .......... Please bring back the old PA design.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with a great deal of what memory maker said. I wouldn't take 2 of the newer PA's for 1 of the older ones. However, I understand that companies have to bow to trends in consumer desires. The big thing lately seems to be a kayak that you can easily stand up in. It seems to be driving the market right now.

My old PA was fine for standing up in and the raised center hatch wasn't in my way, and turns out to be quite useful to me. But, I also understand the sales potential in being able to market a completely flat area in front of the seat.

Everybody likes and wants something different. Companies that want to sell lots of product have to try and lean towards what the majority want. I think this is what you're seeing in the newer PA's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Memory Maker wrote:
It almost seems that these design changes are made by people that don't use your product or fish.

maybe you should give some prototypes to a few people that fish to evaluate before you change your designs

Quite the opposite. Lots of skilled fishing people here and on call for design input. We do send product out for testing and evaluated the PA 12 for several years before introduction.

Tom understands... everyone wants something different. That is why we have so many varied models available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I like the old style. It has a tray so I can just open it and throw something into it if necessary. The tray prevents water from getting into the hull.

That is a tackle "gear" bucket or deep gear bucket. That is available for the rectangle hatch as well:

71709001 BUCKET, HOBIE RECTANG HATCH

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well ............ you guys are living in a vacuum because I have not met 1 person that like the new hatch over the old and the Md Kayak Fishing Forum has 1000 members and SOL has a ton as well as Tidalfish ........... you need some east coast testers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found the rectangular hatch to be great. Easy to open and seals without letting water in. One thing I did do is to remove the pop-up tray system and installed one of your buckets that fits inside. It does eliminate things from dropping inside the hull and offers good storage for small items. Had planned on buying one additional Plano box like the two that came with the pop-up system. However, found that three of those size boxes will not fit inside the hatch bucket. Only wish the bucket was 1 inch deeper if possible. I carry far too much tackle anyway... if three of the Plano's fit, it would mean more crap to carry :mrgreen:

I can't make a comparison to the older model 14's as I have never fished from one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't take water over the bow or over the side, but I do get water on the deck from wet fish, soaked landing net and sometimes wet feet. I spray the boats off with tons of water after each trip and never towel dry. About every 5th trip I use a sponge to get about 4oz of water/liquid from the inside of the hull.
So I guess the hatch is dry and sealed very well.

islandspeed2001 wrote:
I have found the rectangular hatch to be great. Easy to open and seals without letting water in.

Ah! Two! :) ... so far.

As we know, we are more likely to hear negative feedback than positive. That is just the way forums are, but having had zero negative (until I asked! :) ) Is a good sign.

My primary interest is about the hatch itself and how it is working in the field. Not really a question about over-all changes to the PA line, seat, floor etc, but...

As always, I will forward constructive critique to sales and engineering staff.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Only wish the bucket was 1 inch deeper if possible.

The depth of the deep bucket is limited by hull depth. That is the reason that the tackle management feature pivots the trays to inside the hull. So they fit. (In a 12)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

However, found that three of those size boxes will not fit inside the hatch bucket. Only wish the bucket was 1 inch deeper if possible.

hey, are you laying the boxes flat, or up-right? i have the tackle bucket/tub/gear thing on order, but the only real reason was to be able to carry at least 3 tackle boxes. im pretty sure i can handle any tournament situation with 3 boxes. but if it wont hold 3 boxes, i may have to re-think my order.

btw, matt, if you guys put a raised hatch thing in the middle of the boat, and take away the fold-up seat, i know a hundred guys that will fall to the floor and cry like babies. we stand and fish, stand and sight-cast, stand up to pole and dance with 40" redfish on the line and not want a tree stump in the middle of the deck to trip over. there is no 'just' standing, there is a lot of moving around and shuffling. but, diff'rent strokes.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Just confirmed... 3 of the 3640s will not stack and fit in the bucket. Close, but the lid won't close. They fit down in there flat... just three ends up to high. On edge... no way. Too wide and stick way up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really like the hatch on my PA14 - never had any water get in. I do hate the rotating tackle storage though, the lower box always falls out into the hull. I'll be picking up the bucket this weekend. I already found out that 3 boxes don't fit when I checked it out in the store. 1/4" more is all it needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the PA12 hatch a lot - sheds water, seals great, can stand on it, grips well, and it provides options so I can easily switch between the tilt-a-tray, bucket, or nothing but empty or dry bag storage space if I want. It's also easy to attach a removable cutting board/tray to the top, or modify a bucket with quick disconnect wiring for a battery storage compartment; and maybe someday those will be designed-in options. I love options.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SteveLIBS wrote:
I like the PA12 hatch a lot - sheds water, seals great, can stand on it, grips well, and it provides options so I can easily switch between the tilt-a-tray, bucket, or nothing but empty or dry bag storage space if I want. It's also easy to attach a removable cutting board/tray to the top, or modify a bucket with quick disconnect wiring for a battery storage compartment; and maybe someday those will be designed-in options. I love options.

battery storage, great idea.
and perhaps a soft-sided dry bag sort of thing.
might be good options there, matt.

cheers.
drew