Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a late start on Saturday and was not anchored up and fishing until 9:30am. This was partly on purpose because I was concerned about the fog down around Swan Island. It was thick and did not burn off until 10:30 or 11:00. The ground hogs at Swan Island basin did not see their shadows that morning

I only caught 1 keeper and 6 shakers. 3 of the shakers were almost legal sized. It was a pretty slow but steady bite all day. I never got a quick bite all day long, each bite I got was after the bait had sat for a while. I think part of the issue was the lack of current. I used 2oz most of the day and there was one spot where I switched to 4oz, but even at that spot 2oz would catch the bottom without too much line out.

One thing I will say is that the fish fought like demons. I thought for sure that the 3 shakers I caught that were almost keeper sized were going to be well in the keeper range. The one keeper sized I did catch fought wickedly hard. I thought it was going to be slightly oversized.

Overall it was a beautiful day on the water. I felt kind of lazy out there and did not work as hard at finding fish as I might have. I was enjoying the sunshine and just bobbing around. If I am going to have a day with a slow bite I am glad it was on such beautiful winter day!

They did fight hard:

Here is the best fish on the day:

The picture does not do that fish justice. It is hard to tell but it was curled up a fair bit. I did find it interesting that all the fish I caught were super pale like the one in the picture.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice, what do you reckon it weighed? Must have been a good fight!
Also, what kind of line&leader do you use for these monsters?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

According to charts that fish probably weighed about 27lbs. The biggest I ever subdued weighed about 275lbs. They are not a flashy fighter but the pull hard and makes some nice runs - not fast, but unstoppable.

I use 30lb braid for the main line and then 70lb dacron for the leader. The heavy leader helps when landing the fish or holding them at the side while unhooking them. Also, the thicker, softer leader is easier on the fish (does not cut them).

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Soft leader, I'm guessing they dont have sharp teeth then :lol:
Looks like a hard fighting fish. If ever I get the chance to fish in the north or northwest, I'd like to try Sturgeon fishing. Thanks for sharing!