Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had a couple of outings with the Ti and the Humminbird. I have transducer mounted over the side which is a system i use on the Revo but at sailing speed the over the side arm causes too much drag and is pushed back.

this is a photo of the revo setup.

Has anyone mounted a SI traducer successfully on a Ti?

somewhere to the stern perhaps?

cc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried the transducer over the side but I couldn't take the noise and the drag at sail speed. I remounted it inside to shoot through the hull and still get over 600 feet readings.

Mine was not side-scan, but I would recommend trying it mounted inside, maybe in a more rounded part of the hull (mine is just behind the mast cup).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cheers Bob

I am going with a standard transducer for the time being. at least it should help us around the shallows.

I think you can add a second transducer to the humminbird and choose between them if i get another location to work

cc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ours is just in front of the cup on the TI3, easy to access, but it also gets in the way of checking/adjusting the V frame.

I am guessing that wherever it goes, you would want it out of the way of turbulence and bubbles caused by various boat parts at sailing speed?

On a TI, the front drivewell may be a great spot, using the new filler insert Hobie is about to release. If it's a nice flush fit. Maybe they already thought about integrating this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI and it sees two types of use. When my wife is with me I do not fish and we have both drives in. When I am fishing I am usually alone and I sail/fish from the aft seat. I have set up my transducer inside a drive well insert so that it is flush with the bottom surface of the insert. When I am alone I put the insert into the unused drive well. With the transducer in this position there is no significant increased drag and the transducer can be left in place even when launching or beaching the TI.

At slow speeds this works very well (0 to 3 kts). At higher speeds air bubbles degrade the sounder image. However, to me this seems OK. When I am trolling I do not mind losing some definition. Also, with this approach to mounting the transducer you get accurate and immediate water temperature readings.

Lastly as I load up supplies into the hull I do not have to consider where the transducer is so as not to damage or move it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Picts? How do you handle the wiring?

Seems like a good location, except while really tearing it up in big wind. That section of the cockpit is ALWAYS under water and free of obstructions, (except the starboard dagger).

The water flow at most speeds is pretty good there. The bigger issue may be vibration/wobbling in those loose, cheap, hollow plugs. That could be addressed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got these from our good friend down under. Thanks Atango!

Very simple and clever.

It made me think that you could probably extend the transducer head just below the plastic insert, (slightly protruding from the hull) for better readings and very low turbulence. The current mirage drive's chain gears extend several inches below the boat this way, and even I rarely run them aground.

Watch for more thoughtful mods from Atango. He's on a roll.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Got these from our good friend down under. Thanks Atango!

Very simple and clever.

It made me think that you could probably extend the transducer head just below the plastic insert, (slightly protruding from the hull) for better readings and very low turbulence. The current mirage drive's chain gears extend several inches below the boat this way, and even I rarely run them aground.

Watch for more thoughtful mods from Atango. He's on a roll.

My plan is to install a through hull tranny ( ooh ...err ) for sailing at speed and then modify a plug to fit an si tranny for fishing .

Make it so it can be installed in either well. In the rear for example when the evolve is in the front. I am going to try to make a fibre glass plate to put on the bottom of the plug to allow the tranny to be pushed up into a recess when bad piloting occurs.

Watch this space.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Elite 5 DSI that I brought over from my Pro Angler 12. Solid unit. I shot through the hull, although I was warned that signal would be degraded. Not true. Perhaps in 1000ft+, but that's a really long haul here in the Gulf of Mexico. The screen still looks just as stellar as when it was in the water.

With that said, I have heard that Sidescan cannot shoot through hull for obvious reasons. It scans sideways on a broader angle out of the transducer. While I like the mod above, I sail with a fishing partner when going on offshore fishing trips. I just could not see giving up a MD well for a transducer, as once there is a hookup the sail is furled and pedals come into play. Similar is the case for nearing a wreck of structure. The sail furls and its pedaling to hold over the structure for bottom fishing. It could be addressed as well but I would be terrified of ripping the transducer cable somehow in the heat of a battle. YMMV of course.

I did see a mod that I was very close to doing. Looks nice and tidy with minimal modification. Give it a look as well. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43697

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hung mine over the side. Kicks up if it runs into something to big like the ground or whales.... Haven't tested it on whales yet.

Image]