Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Realistically, is it mandatory to use trap wires on a Hobie 16 or is it only mandatory in high winds? I ask as I bought my H16 last year and only sailed it a couple of times, in light winds, and I am not at the point where I would be comfortable using a trap wire unless I absolutly have to. I am a heavy guy above the 200lbs range with a bum knee, so using the trap wire will require a steeper learning curve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Using the trapeze is certainly not a requirement. The trapeze allows you to use your body weight more efficiently so you can get the maximum speed out of your boat but there's no reason you need to use it. However, if you're going to sail in high wind without using the trapeze, then you may want to consider adding a reef point to your mainsail or a roller furling jib as the boat will overpower sooner if you don't use the trap.

Also, if you practice a little in light or moderate wind, you will probably find that using the trapeze isn't that difficult and is much easier on the body than hiking out by using the hiking straps on the trampoline.

Bottom line- using the trapeze is pretty easy and a lot of fun, but definitely not required for sailing a Hobie.

sm

Last edited by srm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A big guy like you should have no problems just keeping it flat by just hiking out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that is what I was thinking. If I do decide to get a trap harness. Do i want the one that covers my back or the one that looks more like a diaper? It seems the one with the back and a spreader would be more supportive. Also will I still be able to wear a pfd? I surrently use a self inflating type

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harness type is a personal preference. The full harness provides extra support for your upper body so you can trap out flatter without your abs taking all the load. The half harness is a little less restrictive when you're not on the wire and it's easier to put on. The half harness is probably a better choice if you don't plan to use the harness often. Either way, you will definitely want to get a harness that has a "spreader" bar. The old style hooks (basically just a small metal plate with a hook welded to it) were very uncomfortable by comparison since they caused the harness to squeeze in on your hips.

You can and should wear a PFD while wearing a harness.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that is one of the reasons i asked , is because i never sail without a PFD. I am a great swimmer, but I can not tell enough people, you never know when you will be swimming for awhile......Last year I had to rescue my wife, she turtled a sunfish, I borrowed a kayak, but flipped it about 30 feet from my wife and easy 3 miles from the shore. Long swim back in clothing!!! The PFD helped to let me take some rests...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cavi wrote:
that is one of the reasons i asked , is because i never sail without a PFD. I am a great swimmer, but I can not tell enough people, you never know when you will be swimming for awhile......Last year I had to rescue my wife, she turtled a sunfish, I borrowed a kayak, but flipped it about 30 feet from my wife and easy 3 miles from the shore. Long swim back in clothing!!! The PFD helped to let me take some rests...

Why didn't you just get back in the Kayak???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Relativly deep water, small kayak, almost completly full of water there was no way to keep it stable enough to get back in. maybe I am just not trained enough in kayaks but trust me it was not happening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paddle float and a hand bilge pump if your going to do that again!
http://atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/Exp ... ls-5.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hobiesrock wrote:
hand bilge pump if your going to do that again!

Never leave home without it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

it was nt my kayak, i borrowed it to try and help my wife, end result both of us needed help!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

if you don't need to use the traps its not worth going out! But seriously though as long as you are in light wind >13 knots or so you don't need the traps if you have a crew. Once you get used to the boat I would even say you could go out in 15 knots but that is about it. As far as getting in trouble on the water, I NEVER go out on my boat whether solo or with a crew with out a cell phone in a dry-bag, and a waterproof GPS watch, despite having a righting bag and can solo right my 16 at 145 lbs in 0 breeze with it. Although with today technology you could do with out the GPS as most cell phones have built in GPS in case of 911 calls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you trap out...you will want to be out there all the time. Best seat on the boat!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Of note... trap lines are also very useful if you're just hiking out. You don't have to be in a harness to use the handle.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

moncasta wrote:
Of note... trap lines are also very useful if you're just hiking out. You don't have to be in a harness to use the handle.

every time i've ever hiked out and held on to a handle people have told me i look stupid. but they really do help. it's nice to have to pull yourself in though. OP, i wouldn't bother with a harness if i were you, unless I was racing it and taking it seriously. Without experience/someone to coach you a little, it's going to take a ton more practice to be enjoyable.