Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New old guy :)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:58 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I initially had a Dune PA14 (2009), last year sold it and bough a Papaya PA14. I changed colors primarily for visibility. I am also a Boater who really likes to see kayaks as far away as possible. Papaya is the best of all the colors for Safety.

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you, Tim :)

I am pretty much sold on the papaya. The black on yellow(ish) looks good now that I've been studying the PA's so much, and it does seem to be more visible.

I'm hoping to order my PA14 before the end of this month. Just in time for early spring fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good choice! You will love your ProAngler. And all the advice in this forum on choosing papaya is absolutely correct (unless you are going to use it for duck hunting!) Since I switched to papaya two Pro Anglers ago, I have had less then half the situations I used to encounter with power craft. However, discretion is still advised. Always be alert. Some party animals with over-powered craft (and testosterone) couldn't see the Queen Mary if it were Flourescent Orange.

A thought on the options you will probably want to add. There is no way to figure out where you want to put your sonar and trolling rod holder to be comfortable while your Hobie is on dry land. Get it out on the water. Carry some duct tape and place it on the mounting board as you hold, say your sonar monitor in place/or your rod holder to mark where you want to drill. The nice aspect about the mounting boards is you are not drilling into your kayak, so if you want to change later after some use, no big deal.

The guys out there who are already mechanical will know this, but if you are like me, you will discover you can not put the 1 1/4 inch base of a flush mount into a 1 1/4 inch hole you have drilled with a hole cutter. You need a 1 3/8th hole!

Spring is just around the corner. You are about to embark on a whole new adventure.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Depending on the honey-do list...... :shock: I will be ordering my new papaya Pro Angler 14 within the next two weekends. I have a list of accessories I believe are important/useful from the advice of you guys and the posts you've generated.
Any comments, adjustments, or suggestions to my list below?

H-Bar
Drift chute
Anchor trolley system
wheel cart (heavy duty)
Deluxe safety kit
Stake out Pole or Anchor kit (any suggestions?)
thinking of getting the lowrance Elite-5x

I think I'm forgetting something because I don't have my list with me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Start looking for a used jetski trailer to haul the beast with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Youngster,

You will need a safety light to set/attach to the bow cover. As you know, some of the best fishing occurs just before or at last light. You only need to be caught out once trying to peddle home in the dark around power boaters when you are without a warning light. It cures you in a hurry!

(Oldguysrule) Bob in CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 am 
Hobie Team Member

Bob,

Here In New England we do a lot of night fishing for big stripers. Most of
us use a 360 degree white light mounted on a pole which places the light above our heads. This position also doesn't interfere with night vision. Additionally we wear a Head lamp. As a boat approaches you simply turn on the head lamp pointing it in the direction of the approaching boat. (It also helps when landing fish on dark nights. You can buy these types of lights on line or at most Kayaking stores. I got mine at my Hobie dealers who had them in-stock. I like the Visicarbon light because of the light batteries seem to last and last. It has a nice flag it's 48" high and breaks down for storage.

The Below info is from the 2012 Hobie catalog:

THE VISICARBON PROTM combines a high visibility light and safety flag with a light weight, low drag, and portable style. Insert foam base into molded-in or Live Well
rod holders. Also fits Scotty mounts. Features: The ultra thin mast and redesigned flag combine to offer excellent performance with low wind drag. Main mast section designed with carbon fiber tubing for high strength and ultra light weight. The VISICarbon ProTM weighs in at just 14 ounces, complete with 3 AA batteries. The 48” long VISICarbon ProTM breaks down to 14” long in seconds. Place into a molded-in rod holder tube or Flag attachment system provides a secure attachment that allows the flag to be removed in seconds (See Yakattack mount options). The folded unit can be stored inside the nylon flag which do

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Morning, Tim

Good advice. I also use a unique little rig. L.L. Bean sells (or did) a small, very-light weight, plastic lantern with a remote switch. When I go out in the evenings on big water, I put one on the bow hatch and one on the stern. The one forward I have a light metal cover over the glass facing me. Keeps light out of my eyes and directs more light forward. Great for docking, etc. I can turn them on, off with the little remote fobs which I have attached to my vest.

The lanterns attach, remove, with velcro strips.

Colorado Bob (Oldguysrule)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming :)

I have purchased my Hobie! It's not the 2013, but the price was right and MdTNKayakAngler really helped get me ready for the water (thanks again man!). All that is left is a safety kit, flag etc..., emergency equipment, and pfd. After I'm out on the water I'll decided where to put rod holders and other extras. I think I'll grab the Lowrance Elite 5 dsi fish finder and some other items, but those can wait until I have just pedaled around, cast a few lures, and generally acquainted myself with my new used Pro Angler !

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations, Larry

You are now officially an Admiral in the Hobie Plastic Navy.
You will have all the priviliges and duties therewith ordained. I.E.: You may perform marriages, but only aboard your Hobie, and only after launch and weighing anchor.

You and your banker/financial officer will become very close friends. Hobie PAs are designed to carry LOTS of optional gear, most of which you will shortly come to realize are not just matters of life and death, but are far more impotant than that.

If you don't already have a lawn boy, you will need one. Putting your PA in the water is far more important than mowing grass. (I bought two goats)

And soon you will contract PA-envy addiction, a disease rampant among Hobie owners, almost pandemic. Hobie engineers/marketing department are already hard at work making you realize your current rig is "so yesterday." I know, I am on number seven in only 9 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol:

Thanks Bob. I'm ready for the weather to break just a bit and I get my new sportsman license (it's already that time of year? :) ) and I will be out on the water. The trailer can hold two PA's, so as I told MdTN, I'll probably own a newer model or maybe an outback or something within a year. haha!

Where do you guys purchase most of your accessories? Online or in-store and who has the best equipment?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but if you use your kayak on the ocean you might be interested in hearing that yellow attracts sharks into biting. Some owners have even named their yellow kayaks "Yum Yum" as in yum yum yellow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On buying extras, it would depend on your location and dealer. If your dealer carries the goods, certainly support them. But, there are getting to be so many options, parts, etc, not many local dealers can begin to cope with all the inventory. So, it's back to the old computer.

I have had very good service on the InterNet with Hook1 in California, Kayak Supply, and Sunjammers in Florida. I'm sure there are others, but these three usually carry what I am looking for. If all else fails, like if you want a rail ball mount to fit your PA, you can go directly to the RAM website.

My favorite rod holder, I think I may have mentioned, is the Cabelas QuickDraw. You WILL like them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SkiPro. Thanks for the info, but I don't see me in shark waters anytime soon :) The PA I ended up getting is dune.

Bob... That sounds about what I was thinking. We have a decent 'mom and pop' outdoors type store here, and of course there is Dick's. I have the option of Bass Pro shop about an hour away, and if those don't have what I need then I will check the internet places.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Larry, I was wanting you to stop by Hook1 while you were here, but I knew you were in a hurry to beat the traffic out of here. It was nice getting to meet you and hopefully we can wet a line sometime. Let me know when you get some free time, and we'll head over to Hook1. They have about everything you could imagine, besides Hobie Parts and Accessories, and then I would go with Brad at Sunjammers in Panama City Beach. Brad with Sunjammers and Chad with Hook1 have about anything you would ever want and if they don't have it one of them will get it.

Jeremy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next