Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DAY 4 - 2PM
Things are getting strange, Charity racers are being ripped off in the night?? :x

Dog layed back to rest or repair and was lapped by several guys. He's headed to checkpoint 3 in light southerlies. Maybe he'll be able to reach or tack upwind for a change. Hope he's energized and motivated. His videos will tell us later. It's still his race.

Chief reached checkin 2 and shred I think has exited Choko, chasing the Dog.

Penguinman never really left and is off chasing manatees in the backwoods or something. Unless this is a strategy, he's just off taking the scenic route. (Maybe it's the swamp gasses.) :roll: Take some shots back there for us Jim!

It's supposed to be a nice warmer day with lower south oriented breezes. Thunderstorms were predicted wednesday.

It's great to have Capt Chaos back with us!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Penguinman is taking the Wilderness Waterway route, as are plenty of the paddlers. I believe he is trying to be the first AI to finish that backwater route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dogslife is in at Flamingo, CP3.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fantastic! Thanks Terry. Is the waterway considered a shortcut? Or just cool? Must be a relief after doing so much cold, bumpy open water.

There are plenty paddlers following Jim in his AI now, doing about 4 knots. (Again, you can right click to expand these).

Even down on the cape, some are cutting across the Everglades Park. It must get real shallow in there.

Meanwhile Dogslife reached his goal, doing ~4 knots on a close/beam reach and actually got to do a little upwind sailing. Here's his tacks.

Overall, here's where our boyz are:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope we'll hear more from Capt Chaos, when his fingers are small enough to type again.

From our armchairs, we really can't imagine the real conditions, the wet cold, the bites, the sights, the smells!

Think I'll crack another beer and watch,..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DAY 4 - 6.30pm UPDATE

Dog is moving again, on his last leg.

After being robbed, SUPGuy is still in the race, getting donations of gear and $$ from the good guys.

Teak was having a great steady race in his wooden TI. But he just diverted into the swamp shortcut in that big red thing. Gonna try the mirage drives for awhile.

Showme, our Windrider 17 dude just hit his spot "Help" button, and is currently roaring down the parkway at 64 knots. (See, even on a trailer, those things are faster than a Hobie.). :wink:

And lots of guys and gals, along with our Penguinman are starting to experience the deep everglades, after dark. :shock: Keep those buttons handy.

"May you find yourself living in interesting times,.."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DAY 4 - 9.30pm UPDATE

Dog is only about 20 miles from the finish. He's following a few very experienced paddlers now. In the darkness, doing 2-4 knots though this stuff are they navigating by GPS? Are any of the channels marked? How much light do they bring? Do they still have any batteries left that work? Makes you think.

Penguinman and shred are about even and could converge and sail together if they wanted.

Hope they enjoy seeing their stories here, when they return to us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks for your commentry and photomaps on the EC Nohuhu. I wouldn't have had a clue on how to follow the Challenge as I am not a technophile..despite Jim Q trying to help me on that subject! You mention "Our Boys"...I took that to mean our fellow AI/TI contestants - right?
Will Dogslife be the outright winner or the class winner?...I'll bet he will be looking forward to a nice hot shower followed by a good feed then a nice long sleep.
Cheers from Vintagereplica...PS..has any-one thought to feed the Agligators?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad you're enjoying it. I didn't have a clue about the race till a few days ago. But I do think it's a big deal. I wanted the participants to be able to reflect back on this linear narrative, (I hope I haven't added or missed any days). They can correct stuff we were guessing at, and fill in the gaps. Then maybe offer some video of the trek.

Yes, I'm referring to the Hobie AI/TI trimaran racers and their "imitators" who put hobie parts at the heart of their custom craft. (Guys like JollyRoger, who's on a highly modified" TI/Canoe). Dogslife (Paul) is well known to us here, and is one of the best AI/TI skippers in the world (who has never used Hakas). ;-)

He came in 4th overall last year I think, agains all boats. In 5 Days, 6 hrs. He's gonna break that. This years race had strong tailwinds and is much faster for most.

This is also the first year that Hobie AI/TI's have a division to themselves. Very exciting.

These are the WaterTribe Classes:
Class 1 - Expedition Kayaks and Canoes
Class 2 - Racing Kayaks, Canoes, Rowing Shells
Class 3 - Sailing Kayaks and Canoes
Class 4 - Small Sailboats - monohulls
Class 5 - Small Sailboats - cats, tris
(Hobie AIs and TIs are in this class. There is a one-design designation for these boats.)
Class 6 - Exhibition Class for Small Boats with electric auxilary
Class 6OC - Exhibition Class for Hawaiian Outrigger Canoes
Class M - UF Only. Switching to another class for Stage 4

And the overview:
All boats must launch from above the high water mark without outside assistance.
This Challenge is an expediton style adventure race for kayaks, canoes, and small sailboats. The time limit is 8 days but the winners will do it in 2 to 4 days. The distance is 260 to 300 miles depending on your course. This challenge is a qualifier for the Ultimate Florida Challenge.

(PS, I bet they think about agligators all the time!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

START OF DAY 5 (WED) - 12.30AM UPDATE:

Looked like Dog was taking the night off, in Florida Bay, by Buoy Key, South of Snake Bight. Sleeping on his boat? Just resting and taking chow? Shaving for the finish line pictures?? :mrgreen:

But he just hit his "OK" button and may be on the move again. Possible sprint to the finish?

The insanely motivated Standupguy is still paddling (and standing!). He's entered the narrow waterway to Choko checkpoint 2. He actually leads one of our remaining Hobie AI's. I don't know what else I can say about this dude. (Think I'll double my donation).

Down on the bayou, deep in the weeds, a pack of veteran paddlers are huddling together with the renowned Sandybottom (yup, a wahine) who is a record holder and rockstar in this race. Kinda wish I could be there for that story hour. We could all take turns standing 'gator watch.

(BTW, I looked it up, and alligators can swim at 20 MPH - though they prefer stealth, just like dogslife) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

3.30 am

Guess it was just tracking error, dog still seems to be resting by the island. Not on it.

So all's quiet, except for SUPGUY, who is STILL paddling up to the first swamp checkpoint.

Think about it, these paddle guys can't even stop to swat the bugs that must be chewing them alive.

Another great advantage of the mirage system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

- StandUpGuy made it to Check Point 2 (Chokoloskee) and is on the move again.
Correction - he appears to still be on Chokoloskee Island and not yet moving out.
- Dogslife still has a ways to go to the final at Key Largo but he is on the move again this morning.
- Chief turned in at Ponce Bay to take the shortcut via White Water Bay. He is on the move.
-Shred is on the move down the coast halfway between Chokoloskee and the tip of FLA.
- Penguinman maybe trying to be the first AI to get the Gators Tooth award, but I'm not sure what that is, other than some backwater, round about paddling. I'll see if I can get CaptnChaos to tell us since Chekika is camping. (Update - CaptnChaos copied some info for me. I've posted it below.)
-Juscuz is also in an AI. He checked into Check Point 2 (Chokoloskee) sometime last night or this morning.
-Also in an AI is Windblown. He checked in to CP2 yesterday eve and appears to have camped out on one of the Gulf Islands.

CaptnChaos copied this from the WaterTribe site:

Alligator Tooth Awards for the Everglades Challenge
Competitors in the Everglades Challenge may choose to attempt to gain the Alligator Tooth Award by crossing the Everglades along the Wilderness Waterway (WW). These stipulations apply:

You must obtain a permit from the park offices at Everglades City. You can do this on your way to Chokoloskee or you can walk or paddle back to the park office after signing in a Chokoloskee. The choice will probably be determined by your arrival time. You cannot get this permit ahead of time and you cannot get it at Flamingo after doing the WW.
You must complete the entire WW as shown on their official maps. You can exit at Broad River and return via Broad Creek. Using the Harney River from the outside is not allowed.
The Nightmare is an option. Some people say that taking the Nightmare is easier than negotiating Broad Creek from the entrance. The choice is yours.
Once you have reached Whitewater Bay you may follow the marked route or take the Joe River or any other route to cross the bay and enter Tarpon Creek and the Buttonwood Canal.
In some years challengers have taken the Hells Bay Canoe Trail to Tarpon Creek. Since this is marked on the official map, it is also OK.
You must portage your boat a short distance between the fresh water side and the salt water side at Flamingo. You cannot receive assistance of any kind for this portage (see the note below).

CaptnChaos' comments:
Now, the nightmare is quite intense and Dogs was going to be the first AI to do it but he changed his mind (wisely). Chief also said he wanted to try it. Looks like he also changed his mind. They both talked about towing their AMAS through that narrow stretch. Not sure what kind of extra award you get if you only do the nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah! Dogslife has done it again!! Even better this time.

Paul crossed the EC finish line in 4 Days, 4 Hours, 11 Min.

Way to go skipper. Give that man a great big bone! Image

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Big Congrats to Paul ! Add a couple biscuits with that bone too. I honestly think DogsLife is not of the human race and should be watched closely by the MIB. I don't know how he does it.

Very enjoyable commentary from everyone. Especially loved the SNL reference of the three guys holding guns on each other by NOHUHU which was very funny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Hope we'll hear more from Capt Chaos, when his fingers are small enough to type again.

Here's my race report ..... many lessons learned the hard way
http://captnchaosec.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next