Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can these be used with this boat. And what about the leak problem that has been popping up on the adventures? Would the turbo fins put too much stress on the hull?

I love my adventure, and would like to get a tandem.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi LeBron,

We also have an Adventure (which I dearly love), and a Tandem as well.

Offroad and I took the Tandem out a couple of months ago. Both of us had Turbofins. Here's a couple of pics that were posted earlier by Offroad.

I always use the Turbos in both boats -- wouldn't be without them!

I'm not aware of any issues with the Tandems, but you might check with Matt Miller on this web site next week to see if he recommends the drivewell upgrade kit for the Tandem with Turbos. Right now I believe it's recommended and available for Adventures and late model Outbacks. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much. Do you fish off of yours as well?

Post subject: tandem problems
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sure hope theres no problems with the tandem and turbo fins.. I just put turbo fins on my tandem yesterday. How long have you been using your turbos on the tandem Roadrunner..? Have you noticed any wear or leaks? I did get a lot of good information about turbo fins on this forum from your prior posts. If there is a drive well leak issue and a kit needed where do I get one..?
Thanks in advance.
-kepnutz-

Post subject: Re: tandem problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:50 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

LeBron wrote:
Thank you very much. Do you fish off of yours as well?

No but I saw a nicely rigged Outfitter yesterday -- will try to get a picture posted tomorrow.
kepnutz wrote:
I sure hope there's no problems with the tandem and turbo fins.. I just put turbo fins on my tandem yesterday. How long have you been using your turbos on the tandem Roadrunner..? Have you noticed any wear or leaks?

I've only had the Tandem out about half dozen times since getting the Turbos (whenever my wife wants to go). Otherwise, the Adventure gets used about 2 or 3 times weekly.

This is an old Tandem so I'm not sure how well it would relate to yours. But so far, no problems. I have a small leak from an old riveted hatch that I think has been since removed on the new models, but it's no big deal -- a little water in not uncommon from the rudder cables, etc.

I've had the Turbos since they first came out. They've seen a lot of use on the Adventure. I managed to break one of the cam support columns, but the new cam bolts reattached it and it's worked great since.

From your miles and speeds you must be a strong pedaler. The drive and hull should not present a problem for you. If yours is under warranty and something breaks, Hobie has been really great about taking care of it, so use it, and enjoy it! Hobie hasn't announced any mods for Tandems that I know of. Those boats are really heavy duty (with an emphasis on "heavy") and have an excellent track record! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again Roadrunner. I would love pictures of that kayak if you could get them. I also heard from a dealer today that said she had tandems in stock, but she thins that there will be changes to them this year. She said that the there may be a twist and stow rudder on it. She also said that she can't give me any absolute answers until she sees it herself.

It is going to be hard to wait. I am a buy now guy once I've decided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It looks like the Tandem already had some a cockpit facelift for '06 -- new hatches, added storage pockets, new water bottle location. The T&S rudder is neat, but probably won't affect your performance much. How much change in $$ between the '06 and '07? You might pick up a nice deal on an in-stock '06!

Here's that rigged outfitter. I'll try to post some additional pics on the KFS site for all those fish fanatics who are too lazy to look over here. 8)

Did it. You can see them here:
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc& ... 8521081952

Post subject: Hey Roadrunner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the feedback on the tandem. It seems like a real solid boat so far and only an ounce or two of water ever gets inside the hull. Probably from the hatches and rudder cables but like you said nothing to worry about. I go out as much as possible which means weekend trips with Mrs Kep and I took some buddies out on different ocassions. The only problem I have is wearing out front passengers. I could play all day most times but the front passengers start to break after three /four hours. :( I would go after work but still need someone else to help lift the boat on and off the roof rack. :oops:
How do you like your Adventure? I think my next boat will be the Adventure Island if I can find one. How do you transport your Adventure around?
I think its maybe time for me to look around at trailers and the Island which is even heavier than the Tandem will probably require it. Least I could go when I wanted plus with a trailer and the A-island, it seems like it would be a real fun boat. Here's a picture link of a trip we took to E-Bay days after our boat was new. I found out they have boat-in camping here on a first come first serve basis and I could pack my gear and go in the A-Island and maybe circumnavigate the whole lake..camping here and there..etc. Anyway thanks for the all info and the photos on your posts.. its been a big help
-kepnutz-
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/ ... 0_1364.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/ ... 0_1389.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/ ... 0_1400.jpg

Post subject: Re: Hey Roadrunner
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

kepnutz wrote:
How do you like your Adventure? I think my next boat will be the Adventure Island if I can find one. How do you transport your Adventure around?

Pedaling is my primary activity followed by sailing, with paddling bringing up the rear. I like to go fast. The Adventure fits my needs perfectly! Fastest Hobie built (with Turbofins), it easily outpaces even the Tandems. It is quiet, sleek, smooth and graceful; the ride is suburb.

The Adventure Island is in a class by itself for sailing; the Revolution is quick, highly versatile, maneuverable and very dry; the Outback makes an excellent fishing platform; the Sport is so easy to transport and drop in the water.

For my needs though, the Adventure hits the nail on the head -- I love it!