Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anchor rope storage
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First, thanks for all the suggestions on the anchor for Tampa Bay. Just ordered my anchors and now I'm trying to figure out how to store my anchor rope.
I'm planning on buying maybe 100 feet of 3/8 Nylon rope, maybe more. I do not want to build a huge setup though they do look nice. I just do not have patience and I want to be able to walk all over the island without big reels or other setups being in a way.
I also do not want to just dump rope inside the storage, because I'm afraid that after sailing for a while, rope will be all over the place inside the island, getting caught all over the place. Is there a way, a simple way to store all that rope without it being in the way too much? On some other forums people just setup a bucket with rope in it.
If anybody have pictures of their setup maybe, so I can replicate it?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: anchor rope storage
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a stuff sack, just flake the line into the bag.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use an H-shaped electrical cord holder.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kommy000:

Here is my setup for my TI, I just added a spool to my motor mount (gas motor not installed in the picture), and it keeps the anchor line nice and tidy. I unspool some rope and wrap it around the rear aka bar with a slip knot then tie the end to the anchor. I have came into the marina way too hot flying my spinnaker a couple times now and had to drop anchor to slow down (trying to get my spinnaker put down (before I had my furler), and the had to release the anchor. (stupid thing to do)
The swing arm thing for the anchor works great and keeps the anchor up and out of the way above and behind the boat. ( I like to keep as much weight aft as possible anyway, the TI sails way better that way). The PVC tubing also keeps the sail control line from wrapping around the rear passengers neck. I always like to sail from the front so I can hike out on the tramps, it's easier to control all my sail stuff from the front seat.
I'm adding my Atwood lights this weekend (from Walmart), the white one will go on the top right side of the pvc rack (on a pole).

I also deploy the anchor quite a bit when trying to beach land in the surf. I just drop it just outside the surf in waist deep water then slowly release rope until I reach the beach, keeps the waves from turning me around, have had a couple bad experiences trying to land on beaches with surf.

I initially had the same problems with the anchor line getting all over the boat, 150 ft of 3/8 line is a really big pile of rope, and I didn't want to get tangled up in it like captain Ahab in Mobie dick. Next best thing would be a cloth bag like the publix green shopping bags that publix sells, I used that at first and it worked ok. Also tried a bucket, that sucked. Also tried stuffing the line into the rearmost hatch, what a tangled mess that was.
Anymore I only keep 100 ft of line wrapped on the spool, it's just not too often you need more around here. I then keep and extra 50 feet in a bag in the hull, and a spare grapple anchor with another 50 ft of line, haven't had to use any of the extra line yet so why mess with it. Actually around here 50' of spooled line might be enough as long as you have extra stored in the hull.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 10 metres permanently attached to the crossbar and feeding out to a stainless "O" shackle on the bow fitting, led back and stowed under the front hatch bungees so I can pull it straight back for use.
I store my anchor rope like this http://boatsafe.com/marlinespike/handling.htm
and carry 25 metres in a dry bag along with my Cooper anchor, 2 metres of chain and a sea anchor. While this will fit through a twist-n-stow hatch, I simply tether it on deck behind me (front) seat on the TI, and on the cargo deck if both seats are being used. Either way, it is quick and easy to access.

If venturing on a trip in deeper water, I store another coil of 50 metres of rope inside the hull. If the rope is coiled as per the link, it is not going to make a mess below, and you can always tether it like this
Image.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a "cordwiz" electrical cord winder. Helps keep things organized, untangled and it's easy to read the amount of line payed out. Comes with a nice solid grip handle.

You can get up to 150ft on these spools, and if you need more rode at times, just bring out a second one.

The anchor and chain stay in a small hobie drybag.