Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How close to the wind should a Hobie 18 be able to point?

I have an older H18. I'm doing everything in accordance with the Hobie U document, but the closest I can get to the true wind is about 65 degrees. I have to let the mark get all the way to the 4:30 position before tacking in order to make the mark.

The Hobie U gives 45 degrees to the true wind as the optimum pointing angle for the Hobie 20. Is the 18 that different, or is there something drastically wrong with either me or the boat?

The main sail is in good condition. The jib has been repaired a number of times, but it seem alright. I filled in some chips and scratches in the dagger boards, but that didn't make much difference.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How old is your Jib? I found Jib sheeting was very important (is easy to oversheet them in lighter airs). Also look at mast rake. Also, how are you measuring your angle? What is the angle from tack to tack?

Cheers,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The boat is probably 15 to 20 years old. The previous owner said it had been stored for 12 years. The jib is in worse shape than the main, probably from UV damage on the furl.

I measured sailing angle by tacking to round a buoy. I would sail close hauled until I figured I could round the bouy on the other tack. I had to let the buoy come around to the 4:30 position (135 degrees off the bow) before I was successful. The angle to the true wind is half that. If I tacked with the buoy at the 3:00 or 4:00 position, I would have to tack again to make the mark.

I have played with the rake a little. The Hobie U document recommended against rake for the 18. This makes sense to me because the 18 has daggerboards. By raking the Hobie 16 mast back, more of the hydrodynamic lift is generated by the rudders and less by the hulls. Since the rudders have a higher aspect ratio, they can generate lift with less induced drag, which helps pointing. With the 18, you want the daggerboards generating the hydrodynamic lift.

Does rake help with your Tiger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PsiCat wrote:
The boat is probably 15 to 20 years old. The previous owner said it had been stored for 12 years. The jib is in worse shape than the main, probably from UV damage on the furl.

I measured sailing angle by tacking to round a buoy. I would sail close hauled until I figured I could round the bouy on the other tack. I had to let the buoy come around to the 4:30 position (135 degrees off the bow) before I was successful. The angle to the true wind is half that. If I tacked with the buoy at the 3:00 or 4:00 position, I would have to tack again to make the mark.

I have played with the rake a little. The Hobie U document recommended against rake for the 18. This makes sense to me because the 18 has daggerboards. By raking the Hobie 16 mast back, more of the hydrodynamic lift is generated by the rudders and less by the hulls. Since the rudders have a higher aspect ratio, they can generate lift with less induced drag, which helps pointing. With the 18, you want the daggerboards generating the hydrodynamic lift.

Does rake help with your Tiger?

I always found a bit of rake helped my 18's. Don't go overboard but a bit helped our pointing ability. It sounds like your jib is well past it's used by date as probably your main. Some new rags would definatly help. How much mainsheet tension do you have?

Also - the only way to accuratly measure your tacking angle is to get a compass and go from tack to tack.

The Tiger is a very different boat to the 18. We do tip the mast back a bit but the settings are totally different to the 18.

Tiger Mike

Post subject: New Sails
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New sails make all of the difference. I bought an '82 H18 this past spring, It's sails were way past due. We raced it and raced it with absolutely no luck. We simply could not point. So we broke down, dropped some $$$$'s :shock: , and bought new sails. Points wonderfully, handles like a completely different boat. A joy to sail now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clint
That 18 is AWESOME looking. How'd you get the mast yellow?? Looks pretty intimidating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clint,

Get a shot of the HOBIE 18 lettering down the face of the mast posted. You're right Chris, they've sent a 70's design right into the 21st century.

They've done a hell of a lot of work on that boat every time we see it is something different. And this time new sails!! 8)

See you guys at Cheney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not coming to KS. I gotta practice on my 14 here at home for a couple of weekends so I don't get last at the 14s.
Sohn will be there though, and he's even better on an 18 than on a 16.
Looking forward to spending a week in TX with the 20/18 guys.

Post subject: Re: New Sails
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

clint0009 wrote:
New sails make all of the difference. I bought an '82 H18 this past spring, It's sails were way past due. We raced it and raced it with absolutely no luck. We simply could not point. So we broke down, dropped some $$$$'s :shock: , and bought new sails. Points wonderfully, handles like a completely different boat. A joy to sail now. :D

So how close to the wind can you sail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Clint the boat is looking good see you in Lawton next weekend :D

Tom