Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Escape Vehicle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering if anyone out there ever thought of their hobie AI, TI, Adventure, etc. as an escape vehicle during some sort of disaster. For example, I like near D.C. and if there were to ever be some sort of attack, I am right in the fallout path. If I couldn't get out in my vehicle, I thought of making a run for it down the Chesapeake. Just a thought...

Post subject: Re: Hobie Escape Vehicle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure if you talk to your (wife/husband/boss/kids/parole officer/pet-sitter) really nicely, they'll let you take the trip. You just have to promise to take pictures! :D

Nobody needs to be attacked. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL Did not mean it that way at all. But good job trying to talk me down. j/k

I am always thinking of backup plans. Seems like a good, alternative use of a kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok I'll be serious.

Honestly, I think that's what these boats are for. Not necessarily an escape vehicle, but certainly something that you could use to "escape" for a weekend or longer. They're extremely capable of touring, and I'd much rather take a Hobie touring than any other standard kayak, or other boat.

My favourite thing to do with these boats is to take one out on the water and be self sufficient for a few days. So as an "escape vehicle" to "get away from it all" they're perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diver_fcd :
I have such an escape vehicle that I keep on the roof of our car pretty much all year round. You never know when your going to need it, and if the big flood or disaster ever comes (we live at 18 ft elevation) we are always ready. As the water rises you just climb up cut the straps and your good to go. We have around 125k miles on our vehicles (yes we wore out a few) with our emergency life boat ('s) on the roof.
I'm even thinking about adding life boats (emergency escape pods) to our TI in the form of two SUP paddleboards (instead of Haka's).

Ok....... I keep the boats on the roof because it's a pain to take them down especially if your planning to go out again the next day. I'm leaving tomorrow for the Keys and seriously the TI will be on the car roof till I get back in mid April, but then I'm hoping to get out every day if possible. ('yea that's it' , I'll be out practicing my emergency disaster survival technique if anyone asks).

Actually when we lived up north near the Mississippi we would kayak and canoe through flood waters to help people all the time (delivering gas and supplies), my dad was civil defense director for the region, he had 6 or 8 duce and half trucks and a bunch of snorkle equipped vehicles along with any small boats that we could get our hands on to help, since he was my dad I was always volunteered. So there really is something to this, and any help you could offer if there ever was a disaster is always appreciated (you can't use motors in floodwaters).
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's actually really interesting, fusioneng. I wonder if there are any kayaks out there specifically set up for disaster relief and/or rescue in areas where motors are impractical. With the capacity of the TI and two people pedaling, you could actually deliver quite a bit of supplies if you had to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Living here in South Florida, I have certainly considered this. Sometimes during summer there's rain enough to flood parking lots and float a kayak down the street. Only problem is, I only have one, and its not big enough to carry the wife and myself. Maybe I'll buy her one next year :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a chill pill & enjoy the recreation... it really ain't likely to happen 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya,

Really unlikely... and where are you going to go? Certainly not fast and you're not going to out run a storm.

Get an airplane.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hadn't thought of back up plans since 1957 when we learned to crawl under the desk and cover our heads... They showed us the bomb exploding and what the results would be and I thought at that moment I did not want to crawl under that desk or think about things that may or may not happen... Just what I am thinking... Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dry goods storage won't work but you could probably fit a lot of canned goods inside the hull.

You may want to run some electrically charged wire around the outside of the kayak to stop the other citizens from grabbing on and capsizing your kayak. I would also buy a single piece paddle for whacking the ones who get through. :lol: