Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tracking straight
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think Fishninja was right on the money. But again, as my first post, the biggest problems I see with Newbies tracking (as I did! seven Hobies and nine years ago) is two fold: First, too much rudder correction. Second, too much thrust.

Think of your Hobie day as being divided into two modes. One is traveling, the other is fishing. When traveling, if you are just wanting to zip between places, then it's time for max peddle thrust, both pedals. When doing that, it takes very little rudder movement to make corrections. Has to do with the physics of water pressure against rudder component.

When fishing, whether trolling or casting structure or contours, try just pushing one peddle, while relaxing the second leg (just along for the movement) Since you have less thrust and speed, it will take more of the rudder surface to change direction because you have lowered the water pressure against it.

A good deal of my fishing time I am moving slowly following contour lines by watching my sonar or flasher. Great for walleye,perch, etc. It takes very little thrust to stay on track unless there is strong enough wind to make a difference. Then you can "read" the wind ahead by watching surface conditions in front of you. If I am working bass structure like rubble points then it takes more peddle push to work specific structure lines. Fish into the wind when you can.

Also, give your Hobie time to read your commands. Don't over steer, or over peddle push. Here is a game: Take your Hobie out and see how ---- slowly --- you can go and stay on track with ----how--- little ----thrust ----and how ---little --- steering correction. Not a good game for days with gusty winds or heavy wave action.

Happy Spring!!! The ice is melting here in the Colorado mountains.

Colorado Bob AKA Oldguysrule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks again for all the feedback on this topic!

Bob, I will give your suggestions a try. They make great sense.

What part of Colorado are you in? What mountain lakes do you get out on most often? I would love to catch you out on the water here soon. Local ponds are already fishable.
Thanks again for the impute!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi 5280. Yep, see where it's a bit of Spring down there already.

I live north of Buena Vista about 5 miles on the Ark. See we won't be fishing Antero this year as they are going to drain it because of the drought. Just when the cutbows had gotten up in the double-digit range.

I like to fish where ever it's a happening thing.
Near by we have Clear Creek Res. which early is great jig and lure fishing, then morphs into fly gear, my favorite. Hayden Flats is small water just south of Leadville about 10 miles. Same story.

My favorite perch water is Rifle Gap, and Harvey Gap. See my forum comments on how to ice fish from your Hobie. DEADLY! Want to try this same system at Aurora Res. Used to ice fish it a great deal when I lived on the Front Range. Have been up here 15 years now. I wrote outdoor columns for the Denver Post for a number of years with Charlie Meyers. (Bob Good)

Some great fishing, really overlooked and not a bad drive for you is the Nebraska I-80 Corridor Lakes. There are dozens of them. Call the NE Game and Fish. They will send you a small book of great info on every lake. They are built for Hobies, I swear.

My favorite all around is Lake Powell. You can load up your Hobie with camp gear, and just go. Super smallmouth, decent largemouth, great channel cats, and if you can find them, very good walleye. Also chasing striper boils will flat wear you out but will really stretch your string!

If you would like to partner up on some water, it's [email protected]

Bob (Hobie Fishing Team)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I added a twist and stow with the sailing rudder and now track straight as an arrow and have turn on a dime capability.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very interseting! Thanks for sharing.
Can you share a few more of the modifications you have made to your PA? Looks like you have that bad boy pretty tricked out!