Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gee that little Aunger trailer has sure had a conversion. Did you do all the metal work yourself?

Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I created a solution for cartopping my AI fully rigged :) ends up taking me no more than 10-15 mins on either end of my adventures, allowing me to get out in the evenings after work, which was a big reason for my buying this... (My Hobie17 is SO much fun to sail, but just not feasible after work)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NulaHNMfznk&list=UU_jWcpkB4hK3RTY0RHd9ajg&index=2[/youtube]

Obviously won't work for eveybody, but you never know what ideas can spur from others ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian9 wrote:
I created a solution for cartopping my AI fully rigged :) ends up taking me no more than 10-15 mins on either end of my adventures, allowing me to get out in the evenings after work, which was a big reason for my buying this... (My Hobie17 is SO much fun to sail, but just not feasible after work)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NulaHNMfznk&list=UU_jWcpkB4hK3RTY0RHd9ajg&index=2[/youtube]

Obviously won't work for eveybody, but you never know what ideas can spur from others ideas.

That rig is too cool for school. And every thing looks stock. “Yeah, it came that way from the factory”. :lol: two thumbs up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, assembling and disassembling the lump is my biggest pet-hate of the A.I. (that and the massive weight).

After each trip I fold the boat up and drag it (on the trolley) the 400m back home, then I disassemble the entire thing and wash the sand, salt and various fishy fluids off it (sponge and soapy-water required), then rinse. All metal bits are given a quick blast of Inox. The akas (with the rather annoying knuckle-type akas) are dried and packed into the carry-bag with the dagger-board.

Prior to the A.I. I had a Revo, which was just about bearable when it came to pack-up time. With the A.I. I'm in a love-hate relationship at the moment - on the water it's great, if a little wet, but before and after the trip I'm cursing it and threatening to go back to something far, far more simple (A Cobra Expedition, if you must know!)

I don't want a trailer, as if I'm going to go to that extent (rego, insurance, maintenance, boat-ramp queueing, etc), I may as well buy a boat! 8)

Ah, that rant was almost better than therapy!

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After I tossed the foam packers away and started tossing them in the bag it was ok.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with Pirate, powder coating would be the ideal as it it tough and durable, and from a manufacturers production line point of view I believe is quicker and cheaper.
Ten to twelve minutes from hitting the beach, backing the trailer down, driving to the wash bay and jumping back into the car is a good average IF you can avoid the interested questioners! Makes the additional expense of a trailer, plus the time to get some-one who knows how to teach you to back-up properly adds 100% joy factor to the AI/TI's convenience. :wink:
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice package Brian. Gotta be up there as one of the ideal AI setups.

Have to agree Vintagereplica. The trailer saves me at least 1/2 hour every trip. Still not perfect but after 5 years of AI sailing the setup, and packup, time is still being reduced every trip.

I have bought a small wiz bin that fits into it mirage drive, dagger, PFD, sailing clothes, flexiboom, seat, anchor and plugs. The wiz bin fits nicely into the boot of the car. So when the decision is made to go sailing, I really only have to take 4 items. Trailer ( with amas and sail already secured ), akas in bag, food and wiz bin.

The beauty of the trailer is that the AI and sail stays on it all the time and is easily wheeled around the garage or driveway so that it's never in the way. ( happy wife, happy life ).

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.