Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bonjour everybody, My Name is John, I got my Tandem Island on december and began to sail in our paradisiac lagoon (I live in New Caledonia south Pacific) for a few days until the
mast broke with 15 knots wind! Thanks to the padlles to get back to the beach ! My Hobie dealer promised me to change quickly the mast... and I am waiting since ...one month... My TI is in the garage... my cat is very pleased to have this confortable basket to sleep... my kids, less...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

You live a distance from Australia who handles your region... 1 Month? Not hard to imagine considering the distance. Contact your dealer or the Australia facility directly for any possible updates. Our US crew would not have any details on your claim.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow John, I envy you having a TI in that paradise! I once spent three months working as a stagier in a bank in Noumea, and could imagine awesome trips out to Phare Amedee
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... rBeduS-lG4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt, my Hobie dealer just told me, he will contact Hobie Australia to know what's happened.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get my new mast. Plenty of little islands around here with a big beautifull blue lagoon ! The perfect spot for the TI !
Cheers,

JL

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Tandem Island summer 2014. On my third sail of 2015 the bolt holding the mast holder to the hull came out and the mast bent over about 30 degrees off vertical. I managed to get to a beach and get the sail down before there was any damage. I am not certain yet as to why the bolt pulled out, but I would recommend to every owner of a Tandem Island or Adventure Island to check the bolt from time to time. I am mechanically inclined and will have it back in the water in a couple of hours. The Tandem Island is a fantastic multi-purpose boat and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in sailing, fishing, touring and ust general fun on the water.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As expected it took me under two hours to have the Tandem Island back to normal. I design equipment for the bioenergy industry andI know quality from crap - the quality of Hobie is great. Everything came apart easily and went back together very easily. I think the problem was the strut nuts were not locked in and the struts backed off and eventually cause the bolt into the hull to unscrew. Vibration is very good at backing off nuts and unwinding studs. This is a case where I should have done an inspection before putting the boat in the water this year. In a past life I had a pilot's license and preflight inspection was mandatory. I should have followed my pilot training. I live on a lake and I am in my Tandem about 5 times per week, either fishing or sailing or simply touring. It gets a lot of use rain or shine.