Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been watching this thread because my hulls also seam heavy. I don't really care because I'm not racing but it is a little more difficult dragging it p the beach.

But yesterday I was adding two 6" inspection ports and from the pieces I removed the foam in between the glass was water logged. If I took a small piece and squeezed it water would come out and I also noticed when I was cutting it there was no dust up in my face. It was all wet and sticking to the hulls. Now I normally keep it at the beach but it's been on the trailer in my yard for some maintenance and repairs for the past 4 weeks So it makes me believe that the water has been there for a while.

My only concern is that this might cause delamination down the road. I'm really only posting this so others are aware because I'm not sure how to fix this other than cutting holes in it and letting it bake in the sun or how to check it with out cutting up my boat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FunkyWalker wrote:
I'm really only posting this so others are aware because I'm not sure how to fix this other than cutting holes in it and letting it bake in the sun or how to check it with out cutting up my boat.

In the sunfish community it is common practice to install ports to dry out the hulls. I had one port in the aft and one in front of the cockpit and put a small fan in one port to push air through and out of the other port. I did this for about a month straight (yikes! electric bill probably wasn't pretty). This REALLY dried it! I'm assuming you don't want to cut two holes in your hulls so the other option (assuming you already have the ports installed) is to open the port on a hot day, cover the hulls with black trash bags and bake the moisture out. I did this on my sunfish and it was amazing the breeze of wind that came out of the hull just from the difference in temperatures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
I'm assuming you don't want to cut two holes in your hulls so the other option (assuming you already have the ports installed) is to open the port on a hot day, cover the hulls with black trash bags and bake the moisture out.

The H18 comes stock with one access port in each hull. He said he was adding another, so that would mean he will have two ports in each hull.

I agree, you should pop the ports open and vent the hulls. Use a small fan to keep air circulating (does not need to be a high velocity/volume fan, just something to keep pumping fresh air through the hulls). Close the boat up on rainy days and pop it open on clear dry days (like after a cold front passes).

If the foam is waterlogged, I would definintely be concerned about delam, not to mention the added weight.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Luckily the boat is located in Florida ... put those hulls through a couple of freeze/thaw cycles ... and those hulls would de-laminate ... done !!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh no. Mine were outside all winter. I hope they are ok went I dust them off in the upcoming weeks.