Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cart for the TI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Forrest,

I have a 2012 TI and use the Hobie dolly with beach wheels. To make it easier to launch & retrieve the boat I extended the length of the dolly handle so that when the dolly is at the midpoint of the boat, and it is nearly balanced (slightly heavier in the stern), the end of the extended handle is just below the boat's bow.

I also use a scupper cart in the rear scuppers, however, since the boat is nearly balanced on the dolly there is only a pound of so of downward force on the scuppers, therefore, no hull problems to date and the boat is easy to push/pull around.

Now, to launch the boat, I remove the scupper cart and push the boat into the water. When the boat and the dolly are floating I stand on the end of the handle and push the boat off the dolly. Make sure you have released the dolly straps from each ama first (don't ask how I know). When it is time to retrieve the boat I insert the scupper cart in the rear scuppers while the water is still deep enough to get this done. Then I get the dolly into position ahead of the boat (which is pointed to the shore) and I stand on the end of the dolly handle. Then I pull the boat onto the dolly using a bow line until it reaches the balance point.

This may not work for your circumstances but the longer handle has helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I probably have to deal with about equal amounts of hard surface and beach. Which wheel option on the Hobie cart works best on both surfaces?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For me, the beach wheels worked well for bringing down the road to the beach as well as going through the sand to the beach. For that reason, was an easy choice for me, but answer probably depends on where you are using it the most.

Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Atango wrote:
Forrest,

I have a 2012 TI and use the Hobie dolly with beach wheels. To make it easier to launch & retrieve the boat I extended the length of the dolly handle so that when the dolly is at the midpoint of the boat, and it is nearly balanced (slightly heavier in the stern), the end of the extended handle is just below the boat's bow.

I also use a scupper cart in the rear scuppers, however, since the boat is nearly balanced on the dolly there is only a pound of so of downward force on the scuppers, therefore, no hull problems to date and the boat is easy to push/pull around.

Now, to launch the boat, I remove the scupper cart and push the boat into the water. When the boat and the dolly are floating I stand on the end of the handle and push the boat off the dolly. Make sure you have released the dolly straps from each ama first (don't ask how I know). When it is time to retrieve the boat I insert the scupper cart in the rear scuppers while the water is still deep enough to get this done. Then I get the dolly into position ahead of the boat (which is pointed to the shore) and I stand on the end of the dolly handle. Then I pull the boat onto the dolly using a bow line until it reaches the balance point.

This may not work for your circumstances but the longer handle has helped me a lot.

Martin - how are you getting on with loading & unloading your TI?
I have the TI dolly cart with the large beach wheels (amongst several other carts) but have never used it! The biggest issue for me is what to do with it after I have launched.... It is so big I really can't take it with me like the scupper carts....and therefore must be securely stored on/in my vehicle to avoid theft. This will entail breaking it down and ensuring it is thoroughly dry so as not to damage the vehicle with salt water.
I keep thinking maybe I can lash it to the akas and take it with me - but I suspect it will be a pain in the a... :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mickey,

For me using the Hobie Cart with beach wheels and the extended handle as I described is working great. However, I do not take the cart with me. It gets brought back to my car and, if the car is in a public area, it is secured by a lock.

I have used it on both paved and unpaved surfaces and on sand. It handles each with ease. Typically I launch at a boat ramp (my preference) but I also use the same set up for beach launches.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Martin
Thanks for reply & info :wink:
It sounds like you lock the cart somewhere outside your vehicle.
Can you elaborate?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mickey,

I just use a cable lock, passed through the space between the cart axle and the saddle, and then through the hitch on my jeep. So far nobody has messed with it. I do not store the equipment in my car.

However, the cart is light and the wheels and handle fasten to the saddle with quick release clips. So, in practice, you could remove both wheels, the handle and store them and the saddle in most cars. They will be dirty (sand/mud/salt).

I often lock the TI to my car using the same cable lock when it is stored overnight or during days it may not be in use. Cable locks can be had with long cables. I think mine is 20 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Martin

Once again, thanks for your detailed and prompt reply :)
I have just been playing around with mine & came to the conclusion you must use a cable lock as you describe.

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use two short pieces of 4"X6" boards as wheel chocks and have no problem loading my TI on the cart.