Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ajsemtb wrote:
yeah, that's not the issue, in fact, that is what I'm trying to build.. the issue, is WHERE to buy the 12"pvc.... however, i did find a plumbing supply that had a 20' piece for around $250.... I'll wait until the road crews have some scraps again and take a piece from their trash pile... I didn't act quick enough last week and they threw away several peices over 10' long of 10" and 12"... but I got permission to take anything in the trash pile next time, so... now I wait. Thanks for the pics, btw. I've seen you "building" post before, and that's what I'mtryign to do...

I got the PVC from Fergusons "Water Works"- they are nationwide. I think it cost around $100 for 14' of 12". It is very heavy and almost collapsed the little roof rack on my van. FYI, this year I am replacing the nickel piano hinges which rusted badly with stainless steel hinges from McMaster-Carr.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

perfect! Thanks! That's what I'm looking for. Also, thanks for the info about the hinges... I would've bought same ones from home depot. I'll look them up and see if theres one around here.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

perfect, called them, 101.50 for a 12" Piece, 154 for a 14' piece of 15"... If you redid yours, would you still use the 12" or would 15" give you more space? I have 2 sets of sails and usually carry 4-6 pfds... And I usually disassemble rudder assy, cuz the lake I like is about 45 minute drive from here. now that I say that, the 15" sounds like it'd be better... Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ajsemtb wrote:
perfect, called them, 101.50 for a 12" Piece, 154 for a 14' piece of 15"... If you redid yours, would you still use the 12" or would 15" give you more space? I have 2 sets of sails and usually carry 4-6 pfds... And I usually disassemble rudder assy, cuz the lake I like is about 45 minute drive from here. now that I say that, the 15" sounds like it'd be better... Any thoughts?

I would really need to think about that.

I can easily carry two sets of sails (with/booms- I have a spare boom) by lashing the second set to the underside of the lid half of the tube. However, there really isn't enough space for all the PFDs, trap harnesses, righting bag, etc. and other stuff I usually carry in my aft compartment. 15" would provide more space, but as heavy as the 12" is, 15" would be more so. You also need to check if you have enough vertical clearance between the trailer and tramp frame to get your arms and hands in there to open a clamshell 15" tube- it requires 22 1/2" minimum of vertical clearance for the tube alone. When layed open the tube needs 30" of horizontal clearance so a closed tube would need to be mounted further from the center.

Another thing to consider with the clamshell design is that it can get water in it when you launch if you back in to where the end of the tube is submerged like I do often. It is lesser of a problem if you slide the tube farther forward. I added a drain hole to the aft compartment, however. Of course that is not a problem if you empty the lower half of the tube before you launch. Despite these shortcomings, I still prefer the clamshell over loading and unloading from the end of the tube.

I have actually been looking for a storage sphere (Webber grill?) to carry PFDs etc. that I would mount near the front of my trailer. In keeping with my theme, I would paint it gray or black and decorate it with short protrusions to look like an old underwater contact mine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'86 H16, Sail #89057

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just procured 20' of the 12" diameter pvc from Fergusons and have split it in two. If anyone in the Atlanta area is interesteded in 1/2, please ping me and I will be happy to sell it to you. Alternatively, I can build two of the storpedos if you just wish to buy the finished thing from me.

Where did you get the end cap or did you make it yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ladelberg wrote:
I just procured 20' of the 12" diameter pvc from Fergusons and have split it in two. If anyone in the Atlanta area is interesteded in 1/2, please ping me and I will be happy to sell it to you. Alternatively, I can build two of the storpedos if you just wish to buy the finished thing from me.

Where did you get the end cap or did you make it yourself?

I used ply for the flat end, but will replace that with PVC. I turned the "warhead" from MDF on my lathe, then painted it gray. I left the Hobie outside and covered last winter and the MDF absorbed moisture and finally delaminated last week. I will turn another, but plan to use it as a plug, so I can take a mold off of it. I'll use the mold to either layup fiberglass warheads or vacumold them from plastic. I might even consider selling warheads and plans.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Last edited by aschaffter on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the ATL area and I am interested in a 10' section of 12" tubing. How much do you want? Hit me up at flottaclATyahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about done with the first one. Learned a few things along the way but it was pretty simple. I think I figured out a way to make the cap too without needing a lathe :) will have to see how it turns out first. Not sure if I am going to paint it or just leave it white, white is not so bad and I can sand off the red lettering.

The PVC I got was SCH 40 so it is heavy duty and just plain heavy :) This URL should work for a photo, the prior ones were incorrect. Shows it mounted on the trailer with the boom/sails placed in it. I built mine just long enough for the boom/sails. I also added limber holes in the tube to let water out. I figured there is no way to keep moisture out so it needs a way to get out. I have two so will be selling the other one once it is finished.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=326685&l=f97c041408&id=1616019130

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i know its a old thread but i have a 12" pipe for my main sail but i need a caps for it and i cant find them online does any one know were i can find it?
thanks optikid

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my latest sail box:

Holds three boats worth of gear, parts, spares, and personal items pretty easily.

here's the build thread on Catsailor: http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthre ... Post254072

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

optikid wrote:
i know its a old thread but i have a 12" pipe for my main sail but i need a caps for it and i cant find them online does any one know were i can find it?
thanks optikid

Most of that stuff is not sold on-line because of the size. You'll need to go to a landscape supply company.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was too cheap to buy the caps when I used a big pipe for a sail tube.

I just bought plexi glass, and screwed/siliconed it on. For the back I just cut a slot and dropped a piece of plexi glass in like a gate. I had a tab sticking out the bottom that I drilled a hole through, and just used a piece of line to keep the gate from pulling out of the slot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Karl, How long is your trailer? I have been trying to figure out a 4 stack piggy-back trailer \\\\. I really like the idea of a sno-mobile type deck. Figure you have 4- boats + gear and x-tras You would be closing in on 2000lbs unless your hauling A-cats. How much weight can you pile on yours?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

20'

Trailer weighs 1300# empty, its sprung for 5000#

You're going to want a six place that's ~30' long

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i have a 12" pipe for my main sail but i need a caps for it

Years ago, I used a piece of 10" water pipe (white) that was flared/flanged on one end (for joining adjacent pipes). I cut the flare off, and then sliced it into two 2"-3" deep pieces. One of those pieces has a rubber gasket embedded in it for sealing the connection.

For the fixed forward end I cut a piece of plexi and glued/screwed it to the ring, then screwed/sealed it to the tube. I also added a stainless vent. I did a similar job for the aft opening end ring with the gasket. I added a vent and mounted some lock hasps for a pair of small locks. Then fabricated trailer mounts and attached to the trailer.

It all worked like a charm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next