Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very funny fellas. OK just laugh at my expense. There are other forums I can join you know. I do have other interests.

http://www.slaughtermotorsport.com/

( I'll pay that Chris. Deb got a good giggle out of that one. )

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter,

I'm late to the thread, but thanks for the great trip report and beautiful pictures. This forum is not only wonderful for tips on sailing and TI mods, but I'm learning a lot of geography. You're part of the world is beautiful (and challenging) -- from Tasmania to Darwin.

Puget

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter - great travelogue report. Brought back a few (of the better) memories of my own recent one month trip to Tassie on my neighbour's 37ft motor boat. :D
I hadn't spotted your report before. :o
Love your panorama shots!!! I often don't bother taking shots because I feel the camera cannot do the scenery justice but you have excelled and captured the rugged landscape superbly. :o :D
I think it was a good plan to take the car as well. 8) :wink:
If you are planning another trip there would be two or three definite starters from here who would love to join you. One of them lived and sailed in Tassie all his life and is now an AI fanatic (but does not use the the internet).

Can't wait to see your video production of the trip.......

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter - one other thing...
Just been looking at that camera.
How did you ensure it was waterproof when necessary?
I guess you used some sort of waterproof housing - either custom made or some sort of high quality generic one???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Slaughter - one other thing...
Just been looking at that camera.
How did you ensure it was waterproof when necessary?
I guess you used some sort of waterproof housing - either custom made or some sort of high quality generic one???

Maybe you don't take this beauty out in the water :roll: :roll:
My wife looked at your travelogue and was very impressed with your panoramic photos. Which kinda means - go and buy one :o :shock: :D
Might have something to do with the additional 3.5KW Solar system I just signed up for also :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bloody Hell Slaughter...your vids and photos are top line, every-one has paid compliments to your efforts on this report that I can't surpass. I am starting to pick out all of your comments and forum threads because they are instructive, constructive and entertaining...don't leave us for another forum old son, who the hell would we get to replace you. Well done.
Cheers Vintagereplica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee thanks VR. I really enjoy the photography and videoing and the Island sailing gives the perfect platform for doing it and of course gets you to some of the best scenery. Really appreciate your comments.

You're right Mickey, I don't use it for the Island. It's nicely stored away safe and dry. I still use the Panasonic Lumix FT1 for videoing and photography in the wet. The Sony is a great camera and the panorama mode, although I haven't mastered it yet, is one of my favourite features. My wife and I just spent 4 days up at Port Stephens. I hope these shots bring back some memories.

Remember going out through these heads Michey. How could we forget the 2.5m swell. Broughton Is. in the background.

We launched from the beach in the background, over to the right. All the high shots were taken from the top of Tomaree directly ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee thanks VR. I really enjoy the photography and videoing and the Island sailing gives the perfect platform for doing it and of course gets you to some of the best scenery. Really appreciate your comments.

You're right Mickey, I don't use it for the Island. It's nicely stored away safe and dry. I still use the Panasonic Lumix FT1 for videoing and photography in the wet. The Sony is a great camera and the panorama mode, although I haven't mastered it yet, is one of my favourite features. My wife and I just spent 4 days up at Port Stephens. I hope these shots bring back some memories.

Remember going out through these heads Michey. How could we forget the 2.5m swell. View looking north. You can just see Broughton Is. way off in the background.

We launched from the beach in the background, over to the right. All the high shots were taken from the top of Tomaree directly ahead.

This is a shot looking south. We launched next to that jetty closest to us on the beach on the right of the peninsular.

Another panorama taken just inside the heads.

...and another. The panorama mode can take either 90 or 180 degree.

If you ever go to Port Stephens and want to keep the wife happy while you're out sailing, send me a email and I'll give you the details. Great value.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter - great shots mate - and brings back fond memories of that trip to BI.
I still have my Olympus 1030SW for the water but am mighty tempted to buy the Sony after looking at your photos. Actually the Olympus does have a panorama setting - which I have never used :oops: so I guess I'd better try it out before I rush out and buy another camera. I was planning on buying one of the small waterproof models with GPS phot tagging...but that's not so necessary now because I have discovered that my iPhone 5 does this anyhow. :D

Looks like you might have done a bit of para-sailing (I think that's what it's called :roll: ) to get some of those shots......... :o
The resort you stayed in looks fantastic. I'll keep your offer in mind if we ever go to Port Stephens. :wink:

Now we all just have to wait for your video of the Tassie trip.... :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That resort is incredible! Folks, that pool goes right round the property in a circle, so you can swim forever without needing a u-turn...

Slaughter that next Broughton Island trip is looming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyplace you can sail right up to your room is all right with me and the misses...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter, these are some great photos! Obviously I'm no expert, but I definitely see why you changed your mind about exploring the harbor.

To me, successful photos and videos are the ones that leave people wanting to experience what you experienced. The more photos and videos I see, the more I want to visit Australia. I wonder if an AI is too big for a carry-on....

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great Pic's Russ - as usual.
Can't wait to see the video.
You'll have to PM me next time your passing through Melbourne.
Regards, Ian

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
SNIP
If you ever go to Port Stephens and want to keep the wife happy while you're out sailing, send me a email and I'll give you the details. Great value.
Hey Slaughter, did you know that pool goes completely round the complex in a circle? It is a major bummer that footbridges pass over it, preventing the Island race of the century! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: