Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turbofins rejected
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got my drive well-strengthening kit from Hobie a few days ago. (thanks Hobie!) Yesterday I installed the kit...the process was not completely satisfactory. The fiberglass piece did not match the inner shape of the front of the drive well perfectly and a large bubble that I couldn't get rid of formed between the fiberglass and the hull. I would have more confidence with the repair if the surfaces were bonded completely flush with each other.

After looking at the wear in the slots where the drive is held down by the cams, and in light of the above partially satisfactory strengthening job, I decided that the early Adventure hull that I own is just not rugged enough to withstand the extra forces created by the turbo fins.

So I swapped the turbo fins out in favor of the older style smaller fins. I took the boat for a pedal/sail today. I had never pedaled the boat with anything but the turbo fins before.

It turns out that I like the smaller fins better! The action of the turbo fins was just too stiff and slow. It turns out I like the quicker motion of the smaller fins. It seems a medium pace keeps me at about 3.5 to 3.7 mph, according to my GPS...that's just right for longer touring and feels completely effortless. I'm surprised by this. The slower cadence with the turbo fins had me straining slightly. Just slightly...

The only thing I'm giving up with the smaller fins (I think) is the ability to pedal-sail at great speed, since the turbo fins were fast enough to keep up with the sail...I actually was able to plane the hull a little. It was thrilling, but I am more interested in all-day pedal-touring. I don't need the larger turbo fins to act as a keel...there's plenty of keel with that daggerboard.

There seems to be far less force applied to the drive and the drive-well with the smaller fins, so I'll feel much more confidant about reliability on wilderness trips alone.

So the upshot of all this is that I am happier than ever with my Adventure!

Anybody want to buy some turbo fins in brand-new like condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't tried the Turbo fins yet, but based upon everyone's description, I have come to the conclusion that they are probably too stiff for me. I like the original fins a lot, and only feel they need just a little bit more oomph. Maybe Hobie will offer something between the original and turbo fins someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have two Mirage Drives, one with the Turbo Fins and one with the Standard Fins which permits me to swap back and forth for testing. I REALLY prefer the Turbo Fins which to me seem like a nice slow walk that produces good speed over ground. Don't discount the Turbo Fins because someone said they were too stiff; they are adjustable you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's surprising...I was sure I would prefer the turbo fins, based on the engineering involved. But then I found that I really, really prefer the standard fins after actually trying both types.

So, by all means, try both types and then decide.

It's not a matter of fitness or strength...I go running every day and work out religiously, so I'm plenty strong for the turbo fins. I think if my emphasis were more on playing in the surf or other situations where a burst of power is applied for short periods of time, I would keep the turbos. I can easily power along against the resistance for a burst of speed, but then I want to slow for a while, like fartlek running.

I adjusted the turbos for power and slower speeds by loosening the back of the fin, but I still prefer the smaller fin. It's like running a lower gear on a bicycle for all-day long-distance riding.

I'm in a similar spot about the sail...it's great to play with and I'm having a blast, but when it comes down to what I want the kayak for, cruising wilderness lake systems, the sail is more fuss that it's worth since I can move along so smartly with the fin drive. Then when the mast is down, there's quite a bit of clutter on deck. One has to be awful fussy when the wind is variable. I don't want to add amas, I decided, because it's already complicated enough on portages. I come from a background of sailing, so I never thought I would want to go without the sail, but there you have it........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How much do you want for your turbo fins? Email me ([email protected])and we'll see if we can make a deal.

Xavier

Post subject: fins sold
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The fins are already gone...that was quick. Must be many, many people reading thses forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Klay,

Where do you live in Minnesota? I live in California now, but lived up in International Falls for 7 years before moving out west. I was back vacationing in Int'l Falls last week and was drueling just thinking about having an Adventure on Rainy Lake. If you live in the northern half of the state, you very well may want to do some yakking on Rainy Lake, Namakan Lake, Kabetogama Lake, or Crane Lake. I realize in MN there are thousands of lakes to choose from, But the ones I listed are really beautiful if you haven't been on them yet.

Take Care.

Post subject: Rainy Lake
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rainy Lake is already at the top of my list. I'm in southern Minnesota, but that's no problem, I'll just go on vacation and go camping.

An Adventure with the Mirage drive is perfect for the big wilderness lakes. That's exactly what I've had in mind all along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had the turbo fins installed in my 05 Outback for a couple of months, I used the adjustment screw to find the right tension on the fins for me, now that it's right I wouldn't go back to the standard fins. In addition to a higher top end speed I find the larger fins make the Outback more responsive to low speed maneuvers.
I have had no signs of drive well cracks but just to be on the safe side I installed the well strengthening kit from Hobie. The kit was easy to install and fit my Outback perfectly.
Great job on the turbo fins and drive well kit Hobie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can the turbo fins be ordered directly from Hobie or must you go thru a "dealer" & pay markup?

Post subject: Turbo fins
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie doesn't retail anything directly, you have to go through a dealer. You should be able to find the turbo-fins online for around $80.
http://www.austinkayak.com
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok thanks.