Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying with the boat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New hobie sailor here. We've got the basics down, but were trying to make it to shore this weekend ahead of a small rain storm. Ended up capsizing after making a needed jibe about 400 yards off the desired landing. Not sure what caused it.

As we went over I was in the process of switching under the main to the new windward side when the hull violently picked up. I dove for it and ended up on top of the hull out of the water. My wife ended up falling onto the main in the water. I saw her go in and once I knew she was ok I attempted to drop down on the windward side of the boat (bottom facing windward at this time) to get on the hull for righting. By the time I hit the water and got oriented the boat had taken off from me. She was working on uncleating the main and was being pushed by the boat and had to let go in the process of trying to get around the stern of the boat (the rudders/tiller being in her way). We never caught the boat until we swam to the beach. Luckily we were wearing life jackets so it was no big deal.

My question...how do you try to fall off to ensure that you can stay with the boat? We had a plan for righting, but never got to execute it.

Thanks for the help

Post subject: Falling off
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:24 am 
Site Admin

I always try to hold on through the capsize...then crawl down to the water. Do not jump off the hull if you can help it. Hold a line if possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

when i pitched, there was no way to hold on, it happened so fast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips. I realized after I jumped off the hull that it was a bad idea. My wife would have been in good shape to stay with the boat but she was a little confused about what to do seeing we hadn't been in the situation before. Me trailing behind the boat didn't help her much either. I would think that if you get thrown from the boat and land anywhere around the mast you would be good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

always always stay with the boat...land always seems closer than it acutally is.....stay with the boat and await assistance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep in mind that the wind that tipped you over is not blowing on that tramp, and the wind will turn you boat around if you stand on one end of your hull.

The wind will aslo help you right your boat.

Read this page.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1570

Make sure you sails won't catch when you right you boat or she'll leave you behind. Even with the sails out she may start to pull away. Always hold onto your boat. the last thing you ever want is to be far from land and your boat.

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

hailremus wrote:
Keep in mind that the wind that tipped you over is not blowing on that tramp, and the wind will turn you boat around if you stand on one end of your hull.

The wind will aslo help you right your boat.

Read this page.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1570

Make sure you sails won't catch when you right you boat or she'll leave you behind. Even with the sails out she may start to pull away. Always hold onto your boat. the last thing you ever want is to be far from land and your boat.

[/url]

Standing on one end of the hull has never worked for me....Maybe I don't weigh enough (145lb) the only thing that seems to swing the sail into the wind is if I swim the mast....I'll go out to the bob and swim so the sail is upwind...then ill use the forestay to pull myself back to the boat ASAP then...flip it back over...

I understand the theory of standing on one end of the hull....but for me it just does not work....the boat will not pivot around and bring the mast around into the wind. Again I just don't think i weigh enough.

Post subject: Swing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The Getaway is a different beast when capsized. The large volume hulls, mast float and large tramp areas can allow the boat to "sail" faster on its side than many small cats. You also may have difficulty sinking the ends of the hull due to the large hull volume. Using a sea anchor may be a way to get the boat to spin around. You would mostly want the bows into the wind, so hanging in the water at the bow would help, but deploying a sea anchor off the bow might really work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have noticed that the Hobie will sail fast when on its side...Sometimes almost faster then I can swim....so holding on has always been top priority for me while swimming out to the tip of the mast i always make sure im holding onto something Like I said I usually pull myself along the forestay...its a lot faster then swimming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We definitely underestimated how fast she would sail on her side. Good to see that turtling wasn't likely with the bob on the mast.

Haven't had another chance to right it yet, the sailing this weekend was uneventful another than having a blast cruising around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sport a good 200 at 6'2", and my friend that sails with me on days I really push the boat is 320, 6'8". We probably have a weight advantage for sinking a hull over most.