Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I am a total newbie to Hobie and kayak fishing. We sold our deep v boat and the wife an I bought two 2013 Pro Angler 12 both in the dune color. I am just starting to order things for rigging and setting up a storage area for our long Wisconsin winters. We have about two feet of snow outside and ice over all of our lakes so it will be a few weeks before we will be able to try these out.

I have a question for you all....

I have seen a couple of videos that shows trailer bunks made out of PVC to be more flexible and cradle the hull better. I am trying to create elevated storage since we have an old house with a rather small garage. I took a few pics of my ideas and would like to see what anyone might think before I progress any further.

Thank you in advance..

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like a nice set up to me. My only recommendation would be to put a brace in the middle so it doesn't bend over time if it's too hot in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks real good. Well thought out and well constructed.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice job!! I'm a newbie also (1 week) and I was thinking of changing my saddle set to the PVC method, however I have a couple of potential issues.

1. The space between the crossbars on the trailer that I built are only about 8 feet. I was not sure whether this spacing would allow enough "sag/craddling" in the PVC pipe. I was planning on using 2" conduit PVC. Will it flex enough to "craddle" the boat?

2. How do I attach the PVC piping to 2" tube steel cross beams without drilling into the metal of having the bracing contact the kayak?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nolzman, I am using 2" PVC 10' long and the braces are set at 9'4" so I would think with the 2" pipe at 8' they would flex enough. Also are temps right now are in the 20's so my pipes are pretty stiff. I do like how it molds to the hull though.

Hopefully you can post pics, as I will be setting up a trailer bunks much the same way and would love to see what you come up with...

Tight Lines,

Rob

Last edited by rbailen on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just wanted to thank everyone, not only for your reply here, but for all the information posted throughout this site... It really has helped....

Rob