Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone installed, or attempted to install, a Wise boat seat like this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Plastic-Folding-Boat-Seat/10913396 on an Island. I went to three stores today looking for one, but struck out at all three. One store even showed on their webpage that they had it in stock. Before I do anymore shopping, thought I'd see if anyone has done this and how well or poorly it worked. My goal is to sit high and dry, but not too high. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perhaps you are being too specific in your search.Most boating stores over here carry at least half a dozen different folding seats designed to be fitted to small tinnies.There have many seats fitted to Islands, at different heights. I have some mobility issues, so I fitted mine on a swivel, on a base level with the Island's rails, so I sit 6 inches higher and four further aft than standard
Moving lower(!) here are some articles from someone who wanted the seat to be a couple of inches further aft from standard.
http://yakass.net/forums/yakkity-yak/10 ... ors-part-a
http://yakass.net/forums/yakkity-yak/10 ... ors-part-b
and there is an article on fitting a skipper seat without modification, putting it lower again.
http://yakass.net/articles/equipment/68 ... gskipperai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Perhaps you are being too specific in your search.

nonsense

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not mean to offend, I was just suggesting that perhaps there are other seats you could buy instead if you can't find that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tony,

you didn't offend me. i just believe it's not possible to be too specific. I was asking specifically about that seat because it looked as if it's rounded bottom would fit in an AI seat well with the seat edges resting on the gunnel. I've since learned that it won't. Yesterday I mounted it on a board similar to your set-up. I'll test it later today (praying for some wind).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tested the seat yesterday. It was definately dry, but just a bit too high (estimate 3 inches above gunnel). It was awkward trying to pedal from that position. And I did a lot of that. Ideally, the seat would be below the gunnel, or worst cast, level with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perhaps because I fitted my seat from the start when I got my TI, I have found the pedalling position just fine.. yesterday I went out looking for whales, and the sea glassed out, and I had a two hour pedal back to the ramp. Still being new to kayaks (and seriously unfit) I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Larry, post some pics please.

And not to raise a touchy subject, but what is your body type?

I just wonder if anyone has tried elongating or adapting the mirage drive shafts for folks with "different strokes".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you watch Josh "Jakass" Holmes' videos (I couldn't fint the exact one) he shows in one of them that he has custom made pedal shafts that allow for different gearing perspectives. He does not go into any further detail, but from what I can gleam from the pictures it seems like he has long metal pedal shafts that have multiple attachment points for the pedals along the shaft. I figure that he can quickly disconnect the pedals and move them higher or lower on the shaft, giving the feeling of higher and lower gears.

I am personally hoping that we are only a few years away from Greg Ketterman walking out of his garage with a version of the mirage drive that has mulitple gears like a bike! That is when things like a whole new racing league will take off :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day LarryJ;
Have a look for the topic: My AI replacement seat...the author is Mingle. That is a top job and should be what you are after. Mattcoburn has a similar seat and Captn'chaos has another beaut alternative.
Cheers Vintagereplica

If it works okay...modify it anyway!