Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've modified and lengthened my HF trailer since the picture was posted a few above. I actually bought a second kit (on sale + 20% off coupon) and added a 4'x4' section (it's now 12' long + tongue and much easier to back up) and used some of the leftover cross members to strengthen it a bit. Also had to weld the new section to the old trailer at the joints as it was a little weak with the extension. Constructed a modular second tier - 3 pieces - the top comes off by loosening 6 nuts (each side) on the u-bolts connecting it to the side rails and sliding it out, leaving the u-bolts in place and not MIS-placed. The side rails are connected to the frame with a turn buckle at each end. Loosen the turnbuckles and the side rails lift off with the chain and turnbuckles attached, again not to be misplaced. Road tested today with my buddy's PA-14 on top and it rode just fine. I have a couple little tweaks to do to tighten it up just a bit more, sould be an easy hardware replacement and relocation of the chain/turnbuckle points on the frame. Painted it with truck bed liner paint, second tier is mostly uni-strut (available at Home Depot). I did make one mistake, I cut the 2x4's about an inch too short and the seat on the lower kayak hit the PVC rails of the top tier. Not a big deal removing the seat when I have the second tier on, which will NOT be the majority of the time.
P.S. I removed the J-bar seen in the picture. Can't have them that high on the trailer so it's only going to be able to carry two at the moment, still thinking about a way to get the J-bars on to carry a couple more on their sides, if need be.

The J-bar has been deleted, I had it on to check fit with another PA-14 on top. But you can see the uni-strut used to form the top tier. I can take it apart myself in about 10 minutes, breaking it down into the 3 pieces. If I have help I can take it off in one piece in less than 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A really cheap, strong trailer can be had by finding an old Coleman pop-up style camper that is long past it's useable days. Most folks will gladly GIVE it to you to get them out of their yards! It take some demolition but the units are made for heavy loads and are surprisingly stable even at high speeds. The wheels are very wide, suitable for almost any situation including sand and widely available. The inside frame is tubular steel and very, very strong. You can place two PA's side by side on them with room to spare and the trailers are surprisingly easy to maneuver manually. They all have swing away boat style trailer jacks with wheels too making them perfect for moving around easily. If you're a handy man or you've a friend with a welder, extending the tongue is a no brainer. They have a low profile as well so launching and lifting your PA is a snap. They're wired already too! I could go on but you get the idea. Perfect and cheap. What more could you want?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great looking trailer.. I will post mine soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work on the PA trailer bruce.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work.

a hug