Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DogsLife, those breakers at Stump Pass looked like something I would prefer to avoid!

I published part 2 of my EC 2013 report today. Sorry I didn't hang around CP1 long enough to see you come in. I was cold and tired. (Can I get a waaaaaaa, poor baby? ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
I published part 2 of my EC 2013 report today. Sorry I didn't hang around CP1 long enough to see you come in. I was cold and tired. (Can I get a waaaaaaa, poor baby? ;) )
Ooooh, THAT'S what those 2x4s were for!! :lol:

Thanks Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally got the time to put together the first part of my EC trip video. Start to Check Point #1:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ekIl4jWK8[/youtube]

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent video, Paul. I felt like I was there with you. Thanks!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, DogsLife!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fun Video. Bob

Fredericksburg, VA
2013 Oasis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really enjoyed watching that! 8)
Have you ever tried surfing those downwind waves with the daggerboard in?
It takes a bit of pressure off the tiller and makes the kayak more responsive in my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Up periscope! Cue the rescue chopper,.. FULL SPEED AHEAD!! :shock:

Well done Dog.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great stuff Paul. Top video. I can see why you don't add any wave deflector to the bow. You're gunna get wet anyway so why add something and increase the risk of pitch polling.

P.S. I'd get that cough seen to before it gets any worse. :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul:
I tried to warn you guys about the huge breakers in front of lido and siesta key beaches, but didn't think to mention the ones in front of Anna Maria and longboat ( near Holmes beach). Whoops sorry bout that. That's my local area and I tried to direct you guys to the easiest route. CaptnChaos had just as rough a ride as you did inside the bay when he followed the eastern side of Sarasota bay instead of the western side as I suggested. Where he was because it's enclosed, it's like being in a washing machine. So your route may have been the better choice.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My biggest worry was how am I going to get back into the ICW. All the inlets that I passed were breaking. I knew Stump would be one of the worst, but arriving in daylight I could stay just outside and try to find that break in the waves. Good thing the Coast Guard helicopter did not fly by until after I got through the worst part.

I do not like keeping the dagger board in when there are large waves like this. True, the boat tracks better with the board in. But if the boat starts to broach the board prevents the boat from sliding sideways along the wave's crest. Last thing I want to do is to be on the front face of a wave and trip over the board. THere is more load on the rudder but also more directional stability.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DogsLife wrote:
I do not like keeping the dagger board in when there are large waves like this. True, the boat tracks better with the board in. But if the boat starts to broach the board prevents the boat from sliding sideways along the wave's crest. Last thing I want to do is to be on the front face of a wave and trip over the board. THere is more load on the rudder but also more directional stability.

Good point Paul.
I watched your video again and realised that because the waves actually looked big in your video that they must have been much bigger than the waves I sometimes sail in. They don't look nearly as impressive in my videos when played back.
It's an interesting point though. You've got me thinking whether the daggerboard is a help or hindrance when the waves are that large and whether it is possible for the DB to trip you over?
Your video captured well the real feat of skill and endurance needed to succeed in ECC. What a great effort! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, back in the late seventies, the level rating yachts (particularly half-tonners around 30 feet long) got a huge injection of "dinghy" technology, including daggerboards with internal ballast, rather than lead fin keels.

It quickly became apparent that when hit by a large wave from behind the beam, it was better for the hull to be pushed sideways rather than "tripping over the keel". I once witnessed such a yacht, "Newspaper Taxi" get hit by a massive Southerly Buster, and it got spun through an incredible 360 degrees. I hate to think what would have happened if it had its daggerboard down. (I was crewing on a heavy 35 footer directly behind, and we got heeled over to more than 45 degrees (thankfully we had just dropped the spinnaker in time)

The same physical forces apply to Islands, and in those conditions, it is way better to skid sideways rather than put big loads on the leeward ama and mast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dunno, tri's react differently. We have no weighted keel and the great stability of our Amas becomes a liability the moment we are turned on a big enough wave.

Like a catamaran, when that leeward pontoon sinks, it's a hand brake and perfect pivot point to let the loaded sail and wave move the rest of the boat forward. If you have tramps to windward, you compound the problem. The dagger out full, even worse. An Aka collapse too? :o Might as well abandon ship.

I loved watching the video. The waves on Pauls run were different than ours. It looked like very short period shallow water fetch combined with a nasty tidal current. Really messy, unfocussed stuff. Less powerful, but less predictable too. He had to be on the ball ALL the time. You could see it in Pauls eyes. :shock:

Sure glad it worked out better than it did for the guys on the TI, and that the camera was rolling. It's all about the video, huh Paul? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The water in the gulf is extremely shallow with many sand bars. Heading south, the coast line wraps to the east. Waves from the north wrap around the coast. Reflective waves come at different angles causing a wash tub effect.

It is all about the video.

Most Watertribe videos a small snippets. I have learned to keep my camera hand steady. The old adage "one had for the boat and one hand for your self" is more like "one hand for the camera". As the days progress and I get worn down there is less video. Remember, this is just day #1...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next