Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

91 H18 SX has not been on the water since 03. Has SX wings, stock Spin pole with tramp stuff bag.
There are no stress cracks in the gel coat around the 4 reinforcing brackets where the cross bar bolts to the hulls.

2 front crossbar cracks at the dolphin stricker.

These cracks do not have a start point at a rivit hole.
Anyone seen a horizontal crack behind a spin pole mount?

Maybe the prior owner pulled a Coutts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rUnnHcnoM

B $
O $
A $
T housand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure 100% sure I'm seeing the cracks you're referring to, but I see two potential areas which are most likely the cracks. The first is forward of the two spinnaker pole mounting holes by the tramp track, correct? If this crack is in the track portion of the crossbar, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The second area I believe you're referring to is around the mast step and follows the profile of the step, correct? I would be concerned about this. We had a crossbar do the exact same thing except it actually cracked all the way around the step. Most likely this is caused by not tightening the dolphin striker enough, so the step "pumps" up and down on the crossbar with the top of the crossbar taking the down-force. Eventually the aluminum work hardens and cracks. I would be leery of this one for sure. The only three options I see would be 1) carefully grind out and weld the crossbar, 2) drill two very small holes at the ends of the crack to stop the crack propagation and monitor for crack growth, 3) replace the crossbar. With any of these options, make sure you keep the mast step firmly riveted to the crossbar and the dolphin striker tight.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks SRM.
Your correct about the crack locations.

My plan is to replace the crossbar. I sail in the SF bay so I would preferr not to worry about it. I have an older 2 rivits bar. So my plan is to move the 4 rivit post over and use it.

I wouldn't have seen these if I hadn't remove the spin mount to remove the tramp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cork Guy wrote:
Thanks SRM.
Your correct about the crack locations.

My plan is to replace the crossbar. I sail in the SF bay so I would preferr not to worry about it. I have an older 2 rivits bar. So my plan is to move the 4 rivit post over and use it.

I wouldn't have seen these if I hadn't remove the spin mount to remove the tramp.

Looks like you have some galvanic corrosion going on there, too. When you reinstall the spinnaker bracket on the new bar, I'd recommend isolating it with something like Tef-Gel.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A nice coat of Sika Primer will cut down on galvanic corrosion also.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cork Guy wrote:

I have an older 2 rivits bar. So my plan is to move the 4 rivit post over and use it.

Keep in mind that when you put the four rivet step on a crossbar that previously had a two rivet step, the holes in the step may not line up with the holes in the crossbar. I recommend drilling a new hole in the step as opposed to just laying the step on the crossbar and adding another hole to the crossbar.

Otherwise you're putting more holes in an already highly loaded area of the crossbar.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cork Guy wrote:
2 front crossbar cracks at the dolphin stricker.
I'm sorry, but that boat is totaled. I'll give you $300 for the whole thing, $400 with the trailer.

Cork Guy wrote:
Maybe the prior owner pulled a Coutts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rUnnHcnoM
Good video. Coutts was barging all over the place and the boat leeward wasn't giving him an inch. At 0:40 you see the leeward boat luff him hard. The sound catches someone shouting, "3 - 2 - 1. . . He shut us out! He shut us out! ***CRASH*** "