Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had my choice of the PA-12 or the 14 and I went with the 12 due to transportation issues.
I have both a pick-up and a trailer, but decided to go with the 12 due to the fact that it's much more convenient to carry a boat in the back of my Ford Sport-Trac with a Harbor Freight bed extender than try to located a parking spot for a truck/trailer combo. Many places that I launch on the Indian River do not have trailer specific parking, whereas a truck with bed extender can park anywhere.
Also, the prior statement about a trailer being easier to load/unload than a P/U is false. I have a kayak specific SportsRig micro-trailer and it is easier and faster to use the bed extender....which is a benefit on tourney day, or saving on tolls while traveling on the Turnpike or finding that last public beach parking spot that is for cars only.

I may go with a PA-14 next year, but I find (so far) that the 12 serves my well and is more than stable enough for my 6' 225lbs "beer & brats physique" for standing and sight fishing.

Roll-on/Roll-off........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same Harbor Freight bed extender on my short bed Dodge pu and it works great with my PA14. No problem loading or unloading it. I used the bed extender on a 3,000 mile road fishing trip this fall and it worked great. I also have a ladder rack that fits on the outside of my pickup topper. It's nice having both a ladder rack plus bed extender because I can put my PA14 on top and use my topper for camping or using the bed for hauling a 2nd kayak. No need for a trailer with a PA14 if you have a pickup!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

what about if you have a pickup with 5ft bed, 6 1/2 ft with tailgate down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I transport both PA12 and PA14 in the back of my 6 1/2 ft bed. To better support the PA's I have fitted 3" PVC electrical conduit tubes (GREY TYPE) that are bolted to my bed extender to the back of the trucks cab. the tubes are spaced 10" on center and provide excellent support to the entire length of the hull.

The tubes have a strap hopding them 10" apart.

Once the PA is loaded I use the trucks tie down points to secure the kayak in place.

Email me and I will send Pics. Later this week I will try to upload pics to this site.

PS: When I need to carry both at the same time I have rigged an upper level storage with a rack back and the PVC electrical conduit tubes.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are using a trailer, it's a no-brainer. Get the 14. It's a lot more boat for $100.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. Picked up a new PA14 in olive yesterday. Hope to get it wet this week.
I have a lot to learn.
Put together a double jet ski trialer with the PA on one side and large luggage carrier (8ft Thule) on the other for equipment. Used the post I found on here and rigged the PVC carriers. Worked great when I went to and picked up the boat.
Never fished in a kayak, but it should be fun learning.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Some things I took into consideration choosing between 12 and the 14:

State requirements....any electric/manually powered craft 12' and under does not need to be registered...whereas the 14 would have to be registered for $12 a year.

Size...I'm a little guy and went with the PA12. I'm 130lbs and toted around a buddy on the back of the 12 that was over 200lbs and it gets a little shaky not being able to counterbalance his movements but when I took a lady friend out that was my size...we both had no problem standing up and moving around at the same time when the GFP Officer standing at shore yelled at us to hold each life jacket up to ensure we had 2 onboard.

Space....I pack the necessities vs packing up every bit of tackle I own. Yet I work pt at baitshop so I always know/hear what fish are biting on where I'm going ahead of time each day so it rarely comes down to a guessing game.

# of Rods....How many people can honestly say they use 6 different rods on the water? It's only legal to have 2 lines in the water at a time so I only take 3 rods along at most. Not sure how some people find the means to take 6 rods along unless they are going on a multi day trip fishing for several species that require a complete different arsenal.

Transport.... I have a full size truck and prefer having the balance point on the truck vs off the back of the truck so the 12 made the most sense to me. Saves from having to buy additional transport devices. Still trying to come up with a stow and go loading system that can slide out and crank the yak up into the bed of the truck or on a rooftop rack since I take multiple yaks out at a time.

Accessories....$100 difference in price covers a few accessories or even a new rod and/or reel...or a few trips worth of gas.

Storage/space....I own 3 kayaks (so far) I mounted a few 4x4's to the wall and then drilled 1/2" holes angled slightly downward. I then took 1/2" rebar and pounded it into the 4x4's creating a cantilever arm system wrapped in foam pipe covers. Creates a nice system that has a little give to it so yet easy store kayaks one above the other. Space is of the essence to always have room for more toys.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association