Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, NOHUHU, where did you get that picture and who built the boat?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Wow, NOHUHU, where did you get that picture and who built the boat?

Keith
Same guy who took this one. A great spy photographer I know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Aussie, did you see this one too?

Hey NOHUHU - nope didn't see that beast - who belongs to it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
The new main and jib sails will furlable soft wing type sails.
Bob

Dang, I thought I was going to have the first AI with a wing sail. The guy who builds these wings offered me a wing in exchange for some web work. Still working out details and I may not do it.

I'm not sure how I'd store and transport a hard wing. How do you make a soft one that furls?

And on the thread topic, the water has gotten warm enough that getting splashed a lot is funny to me again, as shown at the end of this video I shot on Wednesday... :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RcXy6Wo4Q[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, if only you'd had some way of hiking out, Tom.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm done with that spray, Tom. At least most of it. Here are my latest spray skirts.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those look nice, Keith. What do you have to do to fold the amas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is literally a stretch to fold the amas in, but I don't do that until I land. Remember, I'm also using a pair of hakas, so the spray skirts are a minor problem for folding compared to the hakas.

Each spray skirt is attached by 2 bungees + a spectra cord loop. They can attached/detached in a few seconds each.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray:
My wing sail designs are nothing as elaborate as the hard wing setup on that Bravo. You will still likely be the first in the water with a working design, as I'm still out a ways before completion (my Engineering Design company is kind of busy right now, so I have to keep this fun hobby stuff on the back burner).

I have three designs that I am trying to work out the details on (been working on them about a yr now). I still have to build my small 1/4 scale prototypes on some of the designs and go through wind tunnel test ( ie... a house fan in a box, nothing fancy) to try and determine which design I will end up using.

Design 1:
Would be two inflatable skeletons that look like the fingers on your hand (one on each side of the standard Hobie mainsail), that would be under a thin mylar or rip stop nylon skin. Basically the sail will function as a standard sail when everything is deflated. When I want to use as a wing I inflate one side to puff it up into a wing shape, basically this will increase lift and lessen the amount of heel on the boat. One problem with the TI when you add lots of extra sails is, the flotation of the AMA's is not enough and you can easily bury the AMA's. The cord thickness of the wing will be 12-15% of the length. I have already built prototypes of this design and it works well. I have a small solar powered air pump that will inflate the wings with a valve that switches from one side to the other depending on which tack you are on.

If you turn the pump off the sails deflate and everything works as just standard furlable sail. another nice feature is if the sail is furled in a couple turns, the unit still creates a wing shape (in higher winds), though not perfect, but I'm figuring if I have 15-20 mph or more winds, I get more than enough power from just the sails, so I would just leave the wing inflator system off. The only thing going up to the sail would be two 1/4 vinyl tubes following the sail control line.

I expect the system to be around 25% more efficient than the standard sail, and will slip over the standard sail system (like a glove) held down by probably Velcro. Great for the low wind conditions we have in south Florida.

Both the jib and the main sail will have the same system. Because there is much less heel from wing sails I can increase the jib back up to 40 sq ft. I had to cut back on my original 40 sq ft jib because it was too much for the boat (too much heel). Basically the system will work just like those inflatable santa balloons you see at Xmas time. Shouldn't weigh more than a couple lbs, and can either be used or not used depending on the conditions.

Design #2
This design inflates the wing similar to those paragliding wings with slits in the leading edge to force air to inflate the wings. There is no pump required with this design, and if you furl the sail in one turn, the entire sail works as just a standard sail. There are several problems with this design because you would need a minimum wind of around 10 mph+ to inflate the wing, so this might not be ideal in Florida where the winds are not that strong 10 months of the year. I'm still designing this one (really hard design). It will likely not get past the prototype stage. Same as design #1 where it will be completely furlable, and is just an add-on to the standard sail.

With both designs, no changes are needed to the basic sail except a couple velcro attachment points (same attachment points as design #1 so I can test both)

On both designs the wing will extend about 2/3 the length of the sail with the remaining 1/3 working like a flap to control angle of attack and trailing edge shape so the current sail control lines will still be used. From testing my prototype in the wind tunnel (fan in a box) I think I will be able to use the standard tell tales to read the sails correct (something that I have heard is difficult on most wing sails designs).

One other change that I am implementing is to extend my AMA's an extra foot on each side so the overall width of the boat will be 12 ft wide (same width as Windrider 17).

Design #3 is a collapsible (vertically) not furlable rigid wing design that I will run as a ketch sail going up the rear stay line (specifically for low wind conditions sailing mostly in a reach). I could also use the same design as an alternate jib design up front ( I will weigh out the options). This design has wing shaped spars that are attached every foot or so to either mylar or rip stop nylon fabric. It will look like a collapsed accordion when down about 5 inches thick (all wadded up). I will have a halyard at the back of my mast topper where I can raise the sail and pull it tight creating a rigid wing. This wing would be self centering so there would be no sail control line (just turns and pivots automatically to follow the wind creating a vacuum on the front surface). The plan is to have the top half shaped for a left tack and the lower half shaped for a right tack. Basically depending on which tack you are on you raise and lower the sail to get the correct tack, the unused shape wads up either at the top or the bottom of the mast. This sail will weigh about 3-5 lbs. It will only work in certain low wind conditions (<12mph) and will be based on an eppler 420 wing shape. This sail will be small 3 ft wide x around 16 ft tall.

Design #4
This will be my favorite since everyone knows how much I love my spinnakers. This design is a furlable screacher sail about 130-150 sq ft. My plan is to use soft latex foam (like they use in pillows) to make a double wall sail filled with this soft foam pillow fill. The first third of the sail would be filled so when unfurled it creates an improved wing shape (to help create better airflow over the screacher with much less heel). My current 135 sq ft G2 spinnaker only works downwind from 100-260 degrees. I'm hoping this new screacher will work more like a huge genoa (mostly in low winds). Currently my spinnaker can only get to 1=1 with the wind with no amplification of the wind, I'm hoping my new screacher design will be able to amplify the wind a little (except in a direct downwind). In low wind the leading edge of my current spin collapses and flutters very easily, I'm hoping the double wall sail will prevent the collapse.

One design challenge with adding any sails to TI's is you pretty much have to have a bow sprit so the sails can be tilted so they can also create lift for the bow (to prevent nose diving, and to get the bow out of the water so you can plane), and also so you can get enough air in between the sails because the mainsail on the TI is mounted so far forward. Also you don't want to over stress the mast, my reasoning for converting to the wing sails, less heel and stress on the system while being able to fly more sail area at a given wind plus wing sails are supposedly 25% more efficient.

I expect the whole works will cost 2-3 hundred bucks to make. My intent is with the exception of the ketch sail for all the sails to continue to fit into the standard Hobie sail bag, and take no more than the 30-40 minutes it now takes to get the boat off the roof and all rigged and ready to go out in the water. We just got back from 3 weeks of sailing and fun down in the keys (only broke 1 rudder pin this trip, hitting the bottom in a nasty surf at Higgs beach).
Here is my boat rigged on the car and ready for the trip down to KW, it was very windy on the way down so I had much extra strapping.

One problem I have is I've been running my current setup for almost 3 yrs now and am perfectly happy with what I have, I just like to go out every weekend weather permitting and just use the current setup, not much incentive to add more, but I like to learn and design/build the stuff as part of my hobby.
Good luck on your wing sail, I think they are in all of our futures.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow Bob, that definitely was NOT your shortest post ever, but it WAS your best!

Thanks and good luck with the plans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, thanks for the detailed answer. I figured you must be planning something inflatable for furling. I'll have to bring that up with the guy who made that Bravo wing. The accordion idea is also interesting.

I like the idea of an inflatable wing because it solves the storage and furling problems and because it seems like it should lend itself to creating an assymetric wing like most airplanes have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
As a brand, Hobie has no answer to the Weta, and that's a bit surprising, given their racing heritage and general affordability. Windrider and others have stepped up to build a "novices" hot rod trimaran. They have done it well, but it's really Hobies market to own, if they want to...

I crew on a Weta. I crew on a Windrider. In recent sea trials the Getaway has proven faster than either boat (if you haven't seen the videos of either "race", here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XDdxknGR0 The Getaway is MUCH Drier than a Weta and about the same dry as a windrider if you have the wingbenches. The Getaway has no boards, easier to set up than either boat. Granted, both windrider and weta can be fitted with large off wind sails, but I did that myself very inexpensively for my boat. SO, bottom line, Hobie does have an answer to the Weta and there is a "novice" catamaran in lieu of a hot rod trimaran for about the same money.

You won't ever get enough performance out of an AI or TI to match. I also own a Triak which is a composite hull version of the AI--but it is a DRY ride because the amas are short and the aka is BEHIND the driver (and it is a sit-inside boat). The hull shape of a kayak, though, will keep the boat in the single digits for speed--even under spinnaker (yes, the Triak has a spinnaker). I take the Triak out in the winter when the wind is light, so it is an enjoyable ride.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the video, which was excellent (once I trned the sound off! LOL), and definitely showed the superior performance of the Getaway in a "fair fight" going to windward.

I must confess I was pleasantly surprised, as the Getaway seems like it is marketed by Hobie as a fun boat, yet it clearly has its performance chops.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Thanks for the video, which was excellent (once I trned the sound off! LOL),

What? Not a fan of tuba and violin? Gotta admit, the you tube music police have put a crimp in my use of "my own" music.

I admit to being surprised myself at how well the Getaway performed against both the Windrider and Weta here in the Carquinez. The Portsmouth rating numbers for all three boats in competition indicate that the results "should" have been different. Both Windrider and Weta should be faster according to the ratings...but ratings are only related to perfectly tuned boats with experienced crews in their "perfect conditions". What impressed me most about the Getaway was that it outpointed the weta with it's 4 foot centerboard and pointed as well as the windrider even with the windrider's keel but NO boards on the Getaway.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How to say the wrong thing at a particularly bad time... (true story)

I sat back in the dentist chair, and listening to the background music, said "Sounds like the circus is back in town"

To which he replied, "No, that is the baroque wind quartet I play in"

I chill went through my body as he asked me to open wide....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next