Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer box
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone built their own trailer box? I made one out of plywood and 2x3. 8'x4'x18" opens from the back with framing support running down the center. I can fit 18 gallon rubbermade storage totes one one side for life jackets, lines, trap seat, etc... and on the other side is the rudders, tiller, main sail, and stepping pole. The rigging stays on the tramp.

I like to keep all the gear in the trailer box so that I don't have to think about what I need to bring, just pack a lunch and towel/sunscreen and hitch up and go.

Painted the box for better weather resistance but last season (box is 2 years old) it started to get pretty wet inside when it rains and started growing a white fungus inside. I want to rebuild this spring and was looking for some better materials to use to make it more weather proof. Thought about fiberglassing the outside which may turn out to be my cheapest option. Looked into HDPE sheets but they run several hundred dollars a sheet and haven't found anything local.

Any ideas - please share.

Post subject: Re: Trailer box
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I build more of a rack, then a box out of square tube steel that mounted next to my fiberglass sail box. I haul camping gear in it. I've seen several built from huge pvc tubes, they seem to work well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built one of plywood-had hatches on the front and back that I would open when recovering the cat, or the trailer would float. It was about 2' wide, 18" high and 10' long.
When we got kayaks, I built frames that dropped in place on the front and back so we could carry 5 kayaks (but not the sailboat at the same time.).

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I never submerge the trailer so the box stays dry as well as the wheel bearings and tail lights. Just back down the ramp till the wheels touch the water then push the boat off or lift the bows onto the rollers and winch the rest of the way up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There's a guy who built a sailbox for his trailer (two actually) out of 12" PVC pipe. Pics and details here:

http://steve.skybeach.org/sailing_files/sailing2.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is another option...
My wife and I go on 2 long-distance tent/Getaway sailing vacations a year (Kiptopeke State Park next to the North terminus of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge complex- by the way great sailing there!!!! We go in May & September when campground & boat ramp are uncrowded). I was looking for an inexpensive watertight, large capacity storage option in addition to my existing Hobie toy box since we have so much camping equipment. After some thought & research, I found out that 18" x 12' ADS pipe (N-12® pipe/corrugated polyethylene drainage pipe) might work. So I purchased it and bolted it down next to my Hobie toy box. It was easy to install and worked great! Since the ADS pipe caps were a little pricey, I found that 2 standard plastic trash can lids for both ends would work fine (attached with elastic/stretch cord). The ADS pipe cost a little over $100.00 at my local plumbing/well dealer.