Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing a pro angler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a hobie pro angler 12 for this season and I wanted to know if it can be stored flat upright. I know they recommend to use properly fitting cradles to store it upright so the hull doesn't get dented. What if it was set on a mattress or something similar that wouldn't be too rigid or make any dents?

Post subject: Re: Storing a pro angler
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Refer to Owners Manual.

I store mine on trailer equipped with 4" SCH-40 PVC PIPE, 7' long, placed between hull pontoons....seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Searching this site, I have found a few suggestions...Since I am bring home my PA14 this weekend, I am very interested on how people store there boats between uses. I hope to buy a trailer over time...but in the mean time I was planning on building two kayak sling style saw horses. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is no one single way to store the PA. It all boils down to the area you want to store the PA in, your abilities and what you want to spend towards the storage system. I have seen many methods mentioned including the mattress method.

If you have limited garage space, then an overhead sling system might be the trick. If you have the garage space (floor or a wall) or plan on storing the PA outside, then a simple cradle could be cheaply made with a little wood (make 3 long t-bar type bases) and two 3 inch PVC tubes that have been used in in other threads. Just attach the PVC tubes to the end t-bar bases and leave the one in the middle "unattached" as a support piece.

That's what I would do it I were looking to make something quick and simple. I'm sure some other folks will chime in. I made a double rack for my 2 Hobies and posted pictures in the forum last year.

Good luck!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anyone using a boat lift to store their PA? I just bought a lake house with two covered powered boat lifts. One was configured for a pontoon boat and I'm wondering how to modify this set up to store my PA. Thoughts, ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For the whole warm season I had it pulled up on a gravelly shore (when it wasn't in the lake, where it was much of the time!). Well actually on a piece of conveyor belt to cushion the bottom. For winter storage I put it inside a garage with a concrete floor. Rugs and then foamies and thick PVC pipes to support the hull in the two major grooves.
I hope to be back to my northern home in a couple of weeks and I'll see how the PA fared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not use a mattress for the padding. Instead I would buy two 4 foot pool noodles and place them under the PA 12. Give it a try. Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went the Racor heavy lift storage unit route. The Racor has a capacity of 220 lbs. so I've got plenty of room to add accessory weight to the boat if I need to. I did not use the wire platform...just the end bars and I added two 3" x 4' lengths of PVC pipe down the axis of the boat to distribute the weight. Works well.

If anyone can share success stories on transporting two of he heavier boats (ex: a pro angler 12 and an Outfitter tandem boat - both a little over 12 feet long)' I'd appreciate it. The vehicle is a Ford Expedition EL.Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also use the pool noodles method. I just grab the side handle, lift, and kick a noodle under each side. It's pretty fast, and they store a little easier than a rigid frame of PVC. (although that would be a great choice as well)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used a lift in my garage for three years. Still works perfectly.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=21661