Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A NEW Baby !!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday a buddy of mine & i went in 1/2 on a Hobie Miracle 20 ; towed it home last night !! We had a few Beers and gazed at our new machine till
Late last night, wondering how long it would take to do a broad-reach across out 3-mile wide Lake Mohave in a 25mph wind , while riding the faces of the usual 2 to 3ft chop ?? HA !!!! ------His Wife was PISSED ...

So First Question is -- will the Hobie Mast-Bob fit our retro--fitted plastic topped Mast ; we kinda decided to NOT go out sailing without one for obvious reasons. & who's got one , or is there a better option out there ?

Should we seal up the Mast before using it ; if so How ? I heard that
the plastic part on the mast likes to leak.

Other than a few frayed stitching in the sails, the entire boat is near Perfect ; it was stored inside a shed for the last 4 years and even the tramp is perfect. It came with Two complete sets of sails ; one
of which is a tad bit smaller than the other, with a smaller jib. We could use a few mast-Balls that the mast rotates on, who's got 2 or 3 of those we could purchase ?

I predict that we will be flipping this thing over, on our first time out, so we thought we'd practice righting
it in no wind so the fear-factor would be less when it Did happen ! Any suggestions ?

Bille -- with a (Smile) !!

Post subject: Re: A NEW Baby !!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WELCOME!! Congratulations on buying your Hobie 20. You'll find that this Forum is a great source of information, and you'll love sailing the 20. But, start off slowly. The 20 is an overpowered beast. With a 350 lb combined crew weight, I find that I'm double trapped in around 13 knots. In 25 knots, I don't want to be on the 20, it's just not that much fun if you're just trying not to capsize. You guys may prove to be heavy air freaks, but work your way up to it.

As far as parts go, any Hobie dealer can order the Dolphin Striker Ball, part number 30110001, $29.99. I've been using Mariner Sails in Dallas, but you may wish to support your local dealer. Mariner offers great customer service and has a huge parts inventory. I wouldn't think you'd need more than one ball. They are pretty durable. I've been using the same one since I bought my boat in 2008, no signs of significant wear.

You should definitely seal the mast before using it. The "retro fitted plastic top mast" is actually original Hobie equipment. It's made of a composite material, hence the name "comptip". The point is that it doesn't conduct electricity and isn't as likely to electrocute you if you run into an overhead power line. Watch for them around your launch site. The flexibility at the top of the mast allows you to crank on downhaul as an effective way to flatten the top part of the sail, thus helping to depower the boat in heavy air. I've never seen a H20 with a mast bob on it. I'm not going to tell you it's a bad idea, but I don't have one and have no plans to get one. My 20's been over twice and didn't turtle either time. Some have theorized that the extra weight on the end of a long mast will actually make the boat more susceptible to capsizing. I subscribe to that theory, the laws of physics support it.

Again, welcome!

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MVD wrote:
... You guys may prove to be heavy air freaks, but work your way up to it.

You should definitely seal the mast before using it. ...

Again, welcome!

Not much choice on the Heavy-Air thing ; Lake Mohave
can blow 13 to 30mph on any given day and the cycles may
occur 5 to 7 times a day. When i kite board that lake i use
equipment that can handle the Full spread.

Sailing there , Ya
must be ready to back the power down within a 3-5min warning,
and your Always looking up-wind for the changes.
YES -- it's a challenge & i Love it !!!

As a converted Mono-Huller and sailing instructor, i can de-power a
40ft Yawl in under
5min , while in irons during a typical tack, (with a properly trained crew) !

BUT
This Ain't a mono-hull , and
any links you could send me on a "How-TO" for sealing
the Mast would be Greatly appreciated ; i take it, if it's properly
done then the Mast Float isn't necessary ?

Bille

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not saying that you won't turtle a 20, plenty of people have. The heavy winds that you'll be sailing in will try to push the trampoline on over. But a properly sealed mast does provide a measure of prevention.

The other thing that you can do after a capsize to help prevent turtling is to climb on the hull that's down in the water as quickly as you can, deploy your righting line over the top hull ASAP, and start leaning. While you are getting the line ready, have your crew grab the dolphin striker and begin leaning back. When you've got the righting line ready, the crew will transition over to it. Make sure you've uncleated the sails so they aren't full of water.

Another important point is that once you've pulled the upper hull back over and it begins to fall, be sure to grab the dolphin striker as it comes down. In the few seconds after the boat comes back over, you need to have your weight hanging from it. Otherwise, the momentum of the falling hull combined with all that wind (that blew you over in the first place) pushing against the sail can capsize your boat again before you ever get back on it. How do I know this? I can attest first hand that there is nothing more exhausting than righting your boat twice, back to back. The dreaded double capsize will wear you out!! Focus on grabbing that dolphin striker as it's coming down and don't miss like I once did. :o

I'm not telling you not to put a Bob on your mast. Most people don't because the 20 was designed as a one design racer and use it as such. The Bob adds weight to the end of a 31 foot lever (think arm and moment) and makes capsize more likely in the first place. If you're racing, capsizing means losing. But your conditions are on the more extreme side, so you be the judge. If you're not racing, maybe a Bob would be best.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Last edited by MVD on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you can put the mast in the lake to check for leaks (bubbles), you might not need to seal it. Only two places it can leak; around the comptip/mast joint and the mast tip casting. Can try to smear goop around both of those joints, but a big leak would require disassembly and reinstall.

Take it out without a jib to start with; the boat still tacks pretty easily wtth no jib thanks to the daggerboards. Could always tie some pool noodles to the top of the mast to start with; might look a little funny but would help keep the mast up while you get used to it, and you don't need to put any holes in the comptip. The 20 rights more easily with wind; pretty hard to get up with no breeze under the sail, although you shouldn't have any problem at 350#.

Depowering takes about 30 seconds :-) Max downhaul, travel out, less rotation. Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congrats on the purchase of your Rocket! I have personal experience with the Mast Bob....As a life long waterman and surfer, I recently discovered sailing a few few seasons ago with the purchase of my first boat - A miracle 20....every one said I was crazy starting out on that boat and they talked me into the mast bob...I can say it does help by giving you time to get the routine of righting down so you can eventually act quickly (as others have stated)...as far as slowing you down or top heavy concerns...I can say that the only thing that will slow a 20 down is the lack of wind! Top heavy may be an issue if you are a pro and could discern notice the difference but the benefits outweigh trying to right the boat...especially if they turtle - and they do if you're in heavy winds and it gets behind the tramp, pushing the mast under...I live on eastern long island and we get it all, heavy wind and tide and big swells...I have mine (used about 5 sessions) - its the universal (big one) model you can have it cheap...best of luck...everyone on here is great and have been invaluable in providing assistance as I build my skills...I completed myfirst full season of racing last year and it was a blast!
Think summer gentlemen!